ActiveX / Excel help...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by firstcustomer@gmail.com, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi fellas, another request for help I'm afraid!

    I've got a HTML page that has a form. When submitted, the form writes
    to an Excel file. The problem is that the user is told that the file
    already exists, do they want to overwrite it?

    I want it to work without them being prompted (i.e it just overwrites
    it without asking). Is this possible?

    The HTML/ActiveX code and the Excel code is below:

    <!--HTML-->
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

    <!-- Begin
    function xlWrite(r,c) {
    var xlApp, xlSheet;
    xlApp = new ActiveXObject("Excel.Application");
    xlApp.Visible = true;
    xlApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\\xlText.xls");
    xlSheet = xlApp.ActiveSheet;
    xlSheet.Cells(r,c).Value = frm.txt.value;
    xlSheet.SaveCopyAs("C:\\xlText.xls");
    xlApp.Quit();
    xlApp = null;
    setTimeout("CollectGarbage()",1);
    }
    // End -->
    </script>
    </HEAD>

    <FORM NAME="frm">
    <INPUT TYPE="Text" NAME="txt" Value="Some cell text"><BR>
    <INPUT TYPE="Button" VALUE="Put in row 1, column 2" ONCLICK="xlWrite
    (1,1)">
    </FORM>
    </HTML>
    <!--end HTML-->

    Yes, I know it isn't "valid" HTML, but it works fine other than this
    problem that isn't caused by the lack of body tags etc.

    <!--excel-->

    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    rowcounter = 2
    While Range("a" & rowcounter) <> ""
    rowcounter = rowcounter + 1
    Wend
    Rows("1:1").Copy
    Rows(rowcounter).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

    End Sub

    <!--end excel-->

    Basically, the HTML form writes to a specified cell (A1 in this
    example) and then closes Excel. before closing, Excel copies what is in
    the top row, to the next empty row, if you get my meaning...

    How can I stop it prompting whether to overwrite or not?

    TIA, Neil.

    , Feb 21, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I want it to work without them being prompted (i.e it just overwrites
    > it without asking). Is this possible?

    Anything is possible...

    Travis Newbury, Feb 21, 2006

    Ok Travis, how is it possible?! :)

    , Feb 21, 2006
  4. Jose Guest

    > I've got a HTML page that has a form. When submitted, the form writes
    > to an Excel file. The problem is that the user is told that the file
    > already exists, do they want to overwrite it?
    >
    > I want it to work without them being prompted (i.e it just overwrites
    > it without asking). Is this possible?

    Given a solution, how is the user protected against a similar, hostile
    web page that overwrites his own excel spreadsheets?

    Jose

    Jose, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Andy Dingley Guest

    Jose wrote:

    > Given a solution, how is the user protected against a similar, hostile
    > web page that overwrites his own excel spreadsheets?

    By the sandbox model. What an ActiveX is allowed to get up to depends
    on from where you obtained the page. With crazyily insecure configs
    this could be a problem, but the defaults are generally fairly safe.

    This type of question though is really an Excel / COM / VBA question.
    You'll find more relevant eyeballs over in one of the microsoft.*
    groups.

    Andy Dingley, Feb 21, 2006
  6. Neil Monk Guest

    "Jose" <> wrote in message
    >> I've got a HTML page that has a form. When submitted, the form writes
    >> to an Excel file. The problem is that the user is told that the file
    >> already exists, do they want to overwrite it?
    >>
    >> I want it to work without them being prompted (i.e it just overwrites
    >> it without asking). Is this possible?

    > Given a solution, how is the user protected against a similar, hostile web
    > page that overwrites his own excel spreadsheets?

    <snip>
    By very harsh internet filtration software. :)
    --
    Neil

    Neil Monk, Feb 21, 2006
  7. Neil Monk Guest

    "Neil Monk" <> wrote in message

    > "Jose" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've got a HTML page that has a form. When submitted, the form writes
    >>> to an Excel file. The problem is that the user is told that the file
    >>> already exists, do they want to overwrite it?
    >>>
    >>> I want it to work without them being prompted (i.e it just overwrites
    >>> it without asking). Is this possible?

    >> Given a solution, how is the user protected against a similar, hostile
    >> web page that overwrites his own excel spreadsheets?

    > <snip>
    > By very harsh internet filtration software. :)

    I'm the OP btw, I'm just at home now!
    --
    Neil

    Neil Monk, Feb 21, 2006