ActiveX help

Rob T

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...I've been picking
through MSDN all day and I'm more confused now what I was when I started
this! Hopefully I have the right terminology.... I'm a VB
programmer....C# is basically greek to me.........

I want to create an ActiveX control. To keep it simple, let's say I want a
windows form that just has a label that says "Hello World". I would like my
web form to load this control and display it. I don't want it to be a pop
up or anything....just display it as part of the page. Eventually I want to
pass info back/forth to the control...but baby steps are good for me!

Are there any good examples or tutorials on how to do this?

Thanks, Rob T.

John Puopolo

Hi...

You do NOT need an ActiveX control to do this. An ActiveX control is a
*client side* component that runs in the context of the browser, much like a
Java applet. That is way more than you need.

If you are using ASP.NET, you simply need a server-side Label control. If
you are using VS.NET 2003, simply create a new Web form and drop on a Label
control. Look at the HTML and make sure the Label control contains the
runat="server" element. If it does, when the page is generated, the server
control will output whatever text you tell it to...

Hope this helps,
John Puopolo

J Smithers

From your earlier post I can see what you are generally up to. You might
want to break it up into two tasks - first is your ActiveX control which you
can develop in your VB6 IDE (your VB6 experience will help you there - along
with the VB6 news groups) and then what should be a relatively simple task
of imbedding it in an HTML or ASPX page via the <OBJECT> tag. AFAIK, you
can't create an ActiveX control in .NET - as ActiveX is a COM technology
(although .NET has wrappers for COM interop).

Good Luck!

Rob T

My example was made too simple. My form (application) will be far more
complex than this.... I need to be able to execute program. As an
example, a program that you could drag and drop file onto and it would store
it to a db (like ofoto or winkflash), or maybe a program that could be used
as a graphical editor.

Rob T

I would like to avoid developing something in VB6....it seems like I would
be going backwards in technology...and I've long since removed vb6 from my
systems.

If you're familiar with either Winkflash.com or ofoto.com, how would they do
it? Also. Microsoft also does a lot of nice "activex" features with the
OWA on exchange 2003. It's quite impressive.

Cor Ligthert

Rob,

I read that you are Greek, however I don't speak Greek. I cannot give you a
sample in C# or better not any sample. Don't forget that more and more is
talked about ActiveX as one of the misinventions from Microsoft that nobody
wants to load on his computer and more and more is banned by the security
options.

Think twice before you want too go this route. As well don't expect too much
help in this subject because of my first sentence more and more people are
banning it from mind.

Just my thought,

Cor

Rob T

Unfortunally, this was the feeling I was getting from my research. But the
beat a dead horse a bit more:

- This particular application isn't designed for the general public so I
have the liberty of controlling the environment, such as forcing it to use
IE, javascript, or ActiveX
- I'm sure these IE plugin's will still be available for quite some time.
Isn't that what Adobe Acrobat or Macromedia Flash are. Why can't I create a
plugin the same way they do?