Activex like component usage in dotnet ?

In traditional way, if my client is runnign IE, I can put a file in the web
server, then the client can run the ActiveX object. Does it have similar
technology in .NET ? I'd like to run my web server in apache under Linux,
but i want to have a UI componet in .NET running in client side without
installing in client computer at first. Is it feassible ?

Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]

Hi,

Windows Forms controls can be hosted in the client's browser much like
ActiveX controls. This, however, requires presence of the .NET Framework on
the user's computer as well as certain version of the browser (I suppose IE
6.0 and above). There should not be any restrictions on a technology used at
the server side - that is, I think there's no problem with Linux/Apache.

Windows Forms controls doesn't require installation, they will be just
downloaded from server and run. They, however, run under tight security
restrictions, unlike ActiveX controls that could do anything user's
permissions allowed them to do.

Mercy Vincent

How about updating a file locally in client computer ??
I supposed my custom control can be downloaded ( the assembly ) to user
side, right ?

--
Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]
X-Unity Test Studio

K said:
In traditional way, if my client is runnign IE, I can put a file in the web
server, then the client can run the ActiveX object. Does it have similar
technology in .NET ? I'd like to run my web server in apache under Linux,
but i want to have a UI componet in .NET running in client side without
installing in client computer at first. Is it feassible ?

Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]

Yes, the user's browser will download the user control's assembly to his/her
local PC. But I am not so sure about updating - just never did such things
in practice.

--

K said:
In traditional way, if my client is runnign IE, I can put a file in
the
web
server, then the client can run the ActiveX object. Does it have similar
technology in .NET ? I'd like to run my web server in apache under Linux,
but i want to have a UI componet in .NET running in client side without
installing in client computer at first. Is it feassible ?

Dino Chiesa [MSFT]

Q1. Does .NET have something that allows me to host controls in IE?
Yes. Google for IEHost, or look here:
http://www.winisp.net/cheeso/controltest.htm

for a working example and a few links.
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/01/UserCtrl/default.aspx
for an article

Q2a. Can I download the component from IIS to a .NET IE browser and
dynamically run it?
Yes.

Q2b. Can I download the component from Apache/Linux to a .NET IE browser and
dynamically run it?
No. I don't believe this is possible. I cannot recall what the issue is.