    C++ details would be perfect.

    Thanks,
    Randy

    Randy Dietz, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Randy Dietz

    Mark Schupp Guest

    MSVC++ has wizards to create server-side com objects. I would expect that
    C++ .net would as well. There should also be some sample code available as
    well.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    "Randy Dietz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, how can I create a simple non-UI dll or component which will be used

    by
    > MS Access and .ASP apps which I can build with Visual C++ .net? An

    example
    > or template which would allow me to paste in C code without learning all

    the

    Mark Schupp, Jan 17, 2004

  3. Randy Dietz

    Guest Guest

    Why dont you try to use VB5/6/VB.NET for example if C++ like syntax is not
    the one that you like?

    : Hi, how can I create a simple non-UI dll or component which will be used
    by
    : MS Access and .ASP apps which I can build with Visual C++ .net? An
    example
    : or template which would allow me to paste in C code without learning all
    the
    : C++ details would be perfect.
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Randy
    :
    :

    Guest, Jan 17, 2004
  4. Hi Randy,

    Thank you for posting here. Regarding on the issue, I am
    finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as posible.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security(This posting is provided "AS IS",
    with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 17, 2004
  5. Randy Dietz

    Randy Dietz Guest

    People in other newsgroups suggested posting here. A few people recommend
    using a COM Server or ATL Server but I tried that using
    file|new|project|visual c++ projects|ATL|ATL project and couldn't get VBA
    code to recognize MyFunc99 maybe because my VBA Declare statement is
    incorrect.

    In VBA I used

    Private Declare Sub MyFunc99 Lib "C:\Documents and Settings\default\My
    Documents\Msaccess\Test4" (s1 As String)
    Dim s1 As String
    MyFunc99 (s1)

    A summary of info and notes from myself and other posters...
    1. create a simple non-UI dll or component which will be used by MS Access
    and .ASP apps.
    2. use COM because .ASP can't use a DLL.
    3. the component needs to work on both non-.net and .net systems if
    possible.

    Randy Dietz, Jan 17, 2004
  6. Randy Dietz

    Randy Dietz Guest

    Class view shows that rsdm2() is exported I think...

    Test4
    Irsd2
    rsdm2(BSTR *s1)

    and the build log shows that regsvr32 test4.dll registers the dll so how do
    I get MS Access to use the dll? Tools|ActiveX Controls lists many controls
    but no rsd* nor test4* symbols.

    Build Log ------- Build started: Project: test4, Configuration:
    Debug|Win32 -------

    Command Lines Creating temporary file "c:\Documents and
    Settings\default\My Documents\Visual Studio
    Projects\test4\Debug\RSP000013.rsp" with contents
    [
    /Od /D "WIN32" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_USRDLL" /D "_ATL_ATTRIBUTES"
    /D "_WINDLL" /D "_ATL_STATIC_REGISTRY" /D "_MBCS" /Gm /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd
    /Yu"stdafx.h" /Fp"Debug/test4.pch" /Fo"Debug/" /Fd"Debug/vc70.pdb" /W3 /c
    /Wp64 /ZI /TP
    ".\toupper.cpp"
    ".\test4.cpp"
    ".\rsd2.cpp"
    ".\rsd1.cpp"
    ]
    Creating command line "cl.exe @"c:\Documents and Settings\default\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\test4\Debug\RSP000013.rsp" /nologo"
    Creating temporary file "c:\Documents and Settings\default\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\test4\Debug\RSP000014.rsp" with contents
    [
    /Od /D "WIN32" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_USRDLL" /D "_ATL_ATTRIBUTES"
    /D "_WINDLL" /D "_ATL_STATIC_REGISTRY" /D "_MBCS" /Gm /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd
    /Yc"stdafx.h" /Fp"Debug/test4.pch" /Fo"Debug/" /Fd"Debug/vc70.pdb" /W3 /c
    /Wp64 /ZI /TP
    ".\stdafx.cpp"
    ]
    Creating command line "cl.exe @"c:\Documents and Settings\default\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\test4\Debug\RSP000014.rsp" /nologo"
    Creating command line "rc.exe /d "_DEBUG" /l 0x409 /I "Debug"
    /fo"Debug/test4.res" ".\test4.rc""
    Creating temporary file "c:\Documents and Settings\default\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\test4\Debug\RSP000015.rsp" with contents
    [
    /OUT:"Debug/test4.dll" /INCREMENTAL /NOLOGO /DLL /IDLOUT:"_test4.idl" /DEBUG
    /PDB:"Debug/test4.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /IMPLIB:"Debug/test4.lib"
    /MACHINE:X86 kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib
    advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib
    odbccp32.lib
    ".\Debug\rsd1.obj"
    ".\Debug\rsd2.obj"
    ".\Debug\stdafx.obj"
    ".\Debug\test4.obj"
    ".\Debug\toupper.obj"
    ".\Debug\test4.res"
    ]
    Creating command line "link.exe @"c:\Documents and Settings\default\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\test4\Debug\RSP000015.rsp""
    Creating temporary file "c:\Documents and Settings\default\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\test4\Debug\BAT000016.bat" with contents
    [
    @echo off
    cd .\Debug
    regsvr32 /s "test4.dll"
    ]
    Creating command line ""c:\Documents and Settings\default\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\test4\Debug\BAT000016.bat""
    Creating temporary file "c:\Documents and Settings\default\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\test4\Debug\BAT000017.bat" with contents
    [
    @echo off
    regsvr32 /s /c "c:\Documents and Settings\default\My Documents\Visual Studio
    Projects\test4\Debug\test4.dll"
    if errorlevel 1 goto VCReportError
    goto VCEnd
    :VCReportError
    echo Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing
    registration"
    exit 1
    :VCEnd
    ]
    Creating command line ""c:\Documents and Settings\default\My
    Documents\Visual Studio Projects\test4\Debug\BAT000017.bat""
    Output Window Compiling...
    stdafx.cpp
    Compiling...
    toupper.cpp
    test4.cpp
    rsd2.cpp
    rsd1.cpp
    Generating Code...
    Compiling resources...
    Linking...
    Creating library Debug/test4.lib and object Debug/test4.exp
    Microsoft (R) 32b/64b MIDL Compiler Version 6.00.0361
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation 1991-2002. All rights reserved.
    Processing .\_test4.idl
    _test4.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\prsht.idl
    prsht.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\wtypes.idl
    wtypes.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\basetsd.h
    basetsd.h
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\guiddef.h
    guiddef.h
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\mshtml.idl
    mshtml.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\ocidl.idl
    ocidl.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\oleidl.idl
    oleidl.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\objidl.idl
    objidl.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\unknwn.idl
    unknwn.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\oaidl.idl
    oaidl.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\servprov.idl
    servprov.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\urlmon.idl
    urlmon.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\msxml.idl
    msxml.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\dimm.idl
    dimm.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\mshtmhst.idl
    mshtmhst.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\docobj.idl
    docobj.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\exdisp.idl
    exdisp.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\objsafe.idl
    objsafe.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\oaidl.acf
    oaidl.acf
    Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\include\ocidl.acf
    ocidl.acf
    Registering output...
    Performing registration
    Results Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and
    Settings\default\My Documents\Visual Studio
    Projects\test4\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    test4 - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

    Randy Dietz, Jan 18, 2004
  7. Randy Dietz

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Randy,

    hank you for using MSDN Newsgroup. I am Luke and I am review this issue
    currently. As I understand, you want to create a component with VC++.NET
    which can be used both in .NET application and Access application. Based on
    the requirement, I think Class Library (.NET) should be a proper solution.
    (File/New?Project/VC++ Project/Class Library (.NET) ). You can add your
    functions in the source file and compile it to a DLL files.

    To use the DLL file in another dot application, you can select "Project/Add
    a reference", select the DLL file and add the reference file.

    To use it in Access application, you first need register it as a COM
    librrary with a utility "Regasm.exe":

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptools/htm
    l/cpgrfassemblyregistrationtoolregasmexe.asp

    In Access, you can click menu "Tool/Reference" and find the type library in
    the list.

    Hope this help,

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    MSFT, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Randy Dietz

    Mark Schupp Guest

    You do not use declare statements with com object.

    After the com object is compiled and registered you use CreateObject just as
    you would for a built-in asp object.

    set myobj= createobject("mydll.myobject")

    Dim s1

    s1 = ""

    myobj.myfunc( s1 )

    Mark Schupp, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Randy Dietz

    Randy Dietz Guest

    Luke, several others suggested that a COM object will work with both
    MSAccess and .ASP. I used oleview.exe 'object classes->all objects' and
    there are no rsd* objects so it appears that regsvr32 fails when the vc++
    build calls it even though there are no err messages. I copied and built

    LABRADOR Sample: Implements a Server with an Out-of-Proc Custom Interface
    and Compiler COM Support

    then tried oleview and LABRADOR is listed under 'object classes->all objects
    ' so I must be missing something in my project.

    I started over and did...

    create test9 with file|new|project|visual c++ projects|ATL|ATL project
    right-click test9 in solution explorer
    add the rsdm1 class using add|add class|visual c++|ATL|ATL Simple Object
    rebuild all and the build log has

    regsvr32 /s /c "c:\documents and settings\default\my documents\visual studio
    projects\test9\debug\test9.dll"

    run oleview.exe 'object classes->all objects' and there are no rsd* objects
    listed.

    Do I need to do something more to make rsdm1 a COM object or am I missing
    something else?

    Randy Dietz, Jan 19, 2004
  10. Randy Dietz

    Randy Dietz Guest

    When I run

    regsvr32 /c "c:\documents and settings\default\my documents\visual studio
    projects\test9\debug\test9.dll"

    I get a messagebox that says

    DllRegister in c:\documents and settings\default\my documents\visual studio
    projects\test9\debug\test9.dll succeeded.

    but oleview doesn't list any rsd* objects.

    Randy Dietz, Jan 20, 2004
  11. Randy Dietz

    Randy Dietz Guest

    Mark, I just found my COM objects in oleview. They're named Crsd* not rsd*
    but I still can't access them using COMAddIns in vc++. How can I use the
    MSAccess CreateObject function with "c:\documents and settings\default\my
    documents\visual studio projects\test9\debug\test9.dll" and it's class
    Crsdm1? What is the syntax?

    Randy Dietz, Jan 20, 2004
  12. Randy Dietz

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Randy,

    From another message, I found youn saw Crsd* not rsd*. In fact, this name
    is determined by the class name you defined in the .h file. You may open
    the ATL project and check the .h file. By the way, for a ATL project, we
    only need to compile it. regsvr32 is not necessary for local computer.

    MSFT, Jan 20, 2004
  13. Randy Dietz

    Mark Schupp Guest

    What error do you get from createobject?
    show your code.

    Mark Schupp, Jan 20, 2004
  14. Randy Dietz

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Randy,

    To use this ATL Class with createobject, you need:

    CreateObject("ProjectName.ClassName")

    Project name is the name for your ATL project and Class name is the name in
    .h file

    MSFT, Jan 21, 2004