ActiveX or not ???

Discussion in 'C++' started by StrathClyde@gmail.com, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm a die hard C# developer, developing Win32 and web based enterprise
    apps for last few years.
    The development team I'm on is going down a path I feel is wrong.
    I'm scoping out the web to knock their solution but of course, an
    alternative is needed...

    1) We need a complex client application
    2) This client app will need to communicate with a local (same box) and
    remote server
    3) It will need to read/write to the local file system
    4) Easy to deploy with little footprint
    5) Needs to be web based - viewable in a browser
    6) There any a few more important requirements but the above is
    sufficient for now...

    The development has decided to create an ActiveX client that they say
    will meet the above requirements. It'll be developed in Microsoft
    Visual C++.NET using UNMANAGED code - as they do not want the .NET
    framework distrubuted to the clients. Specifically, MFC ActiveX
    Controls and/or Application.

    I think this is the wrong approach as ActiveX is being phased out.
    I can understand the framework issue as it is ignorant to assume the
    frameowrk will be installed on all clients. Also, dynamically creating
    web pages from a .NET web application is unacceptable as well. Due to
    other reasons, this application may not be tied to an IIS Server.

    Are they any alternatives?
    Any suggestions or comments welcome.
    Thanks.

    , Feb 28, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I'm a die hard C# developer, developing Win32 and web based enterprise
    > apps for last few years.
    > The development team I'm on is going down a path I feel is wrong.
    > I'm scoping out the web to knock their solution but of course, an
    > alternative is needed...
    >
    > 1) We need a complex client application
    > 2) This client app will need to communicate with a local (same box) and
    > remote server
    > 3) It will need to read/write to the local file system
    > 4) Easy to deploy with little footprint
    > 5) Needs to be web based - viewable in a browser
    > 6) There any a few more important requirements but the above is
    > sufficient for now...
    >
    > The development has decided to create an ActiveX client that they say
    > will meet the above requirements. It'll be developed in Microsoft
    > Visual C++.NET using UNMANAGED code - as they do not want the .NET
    > framework distrubuted to the clients. Specifically, MFC ActiveX
    > Controls and/or Application.
    >
    > I think this is the wrong approach as ActiveX is being phased out.
    > I can understand the framework issue as it is ignorant to assume the
    > frameowrk will be installed on all clients. Also, dynamically creating
    > web pages from a .NET web application is unacceptable as well. Due to
    > other reasons, this application may not be tied to an IIS Server.

    You should ask in microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc (for VC++) or
    microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp (for VC#).

    If they don't appear in your news server use the public MS news server:

    msnews.microsoft.com

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys