ActiveX or not ???

StrathClyde

I'm a die hard C# developer, developing Win32 and web based enterprise
apps for last few years.
The development team I'm on is going down a path I feel is wrong.
I'm scoping out the web to knock their solution but of course, an
alternative is needed...

1) We need a complex client application
2) This client app will need to communicate with a local (same box) and
remote server
3) It will need to read/write to the local file system
4) Easy to deploy with little footprint
5) Needs to be web based - viewable in a browser
6) There any a few more important requirements but the above is
sufficient for now...

The development has decided to create an ActiveX client that they say
will meet the above requirements. It'll be developed in Microsoft
Visual C++.NET using UNMANAGED code - as they do not want the .NET
framework distrubuted to the clients. Specifically, MFC ActiveX
Controls and/or Application.

I think this is the wrong approach as ActiveX is being phased out.
I can understand the framework issue as it is ignorant to assume the
frameowrk will be installed on all clients. Also, dynamically creating
web pages from a .NET web application is unacceptable as well. Due to
other reasons, this application may not be tied to an IIS Server.

Are they any alternatives?
Any suggestions or comments welcome.
Thanks.

Ioannis Vranos

[...]

You should ask in microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc (for VC++) or
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp (for VC#).

If they don't appear in your news server use the public MS news server:

msnews.microsoft.com