activex registration/packaging

Mr Seth T

Hey,

I have spent several days trying to find out how to do something, and
i don't know if I am blind or what, but I can not find it. I am
developing a web app and I need it to run an activex control. I have
developed the control and it runs great on my development system
(VS2005, C#, IE6, Win2000Pro, output is a DLL) because as far as I can
tell, the IDE registers the DLL. The problem is packaging it so it
registers itself on any other computer. I have tried publishing the
DLL by itself, packaging it in a CAB by itself, packaging it in in a
CAB with a INF file. So far, the closest it has come to registering
and installing is getting the dll to show up in "Downloaded Program
Files" and the CLSID shows up in the registry under "code store
database\distribution units". Every time I load the page it adds new
entries in the registry and adds a CONFLICT.# folder to the
"Downloaded Program Files" but still will not load the control. What
is wrong? or how do you register a dll through IE?

It is not a security issue; I have allowed it install unsigned
controls. I am at the end of my rope having spent more than a week on
this that should have been done in about a day. I can send you any of
this stuff to take a look at if that will help. Any help you give
will be greatly appreciated, anything.

Thanks again,
-Seth

bruce barker

you don't give enough info, what does the object tag look like, does the
dll have and dependencies? what is the dll written in? are the runtime
libraries installed on the client?

which version and service pack of IE? Later versions are more
restrictive about downloading and installing unsigned and unsafe control.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Mr Seth T

RIght now the object tag looks like....

<object id="ctlDisplay1" classid="CLSID:AB226553-9C20-3DEF-A52B-
D264BB802855" codebase="ActiveX.cab#version=1,0,0,0"
style="width: 879px; height: 525px" type="application/x-
oleobject">
<param name="ParamMonitorName" value="608" />
<param name="ParamIgnoreMinutes" value="60" />
<param name="ParamUpdateFreq" value="5" />
<param name="ParamSWRequestInterval" value="60" />
<param name="ParamDBAlarmTime" value="7" />
<b>ActiveX Controls are not supported under the current
settings.</b>
</object>

the dll is in vb.NET 2.0 and all of its references are included
in .NET as far as I can tell (a .NET adodb might not be, but I assume
it is), the .NET framework 2.0 is installed on all the clients. I
know that IE7 restricts a lot, but I just want to get it working on
IE6 before I buy a certificate. So to answer that question..IE6
SP2...6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254.

Thanks
-Seth

Mr Seth T

I found the dll in my downloaded program files and registered it
("regasm activex.dll") and now it shows up in the registry (the CLSID
changed) exactly the same as on the development machine, but still
won't show up. It only shows the "ActiveX Controls are not supported
under the current settings." line.