ActiveX server components

Andrew Chalk

I have written an ActiveX component for a WEB app. that is invoked by an ASP
page. Since multiple instances of this page will be requested, are there any
special coding practises that I should be aware of?

I ask this because it 'crashes' (CPU goes to 100%) after 'a few' hours
runtime. Are separate instances of the control invoked with each new page
request?

Many thanks.

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Andrew Chalk said:
I have written an ActiveX component for a WEB app. that is invoked by an
ASP
page. Since multiple instances of this page will be requested, are there
any
special coding practises that I should be aware of?

I ask this because it 'crashes' (CPU goes to 100%) after 'a few' hours
runtime. Are separate instances of the control invoked with each new page
request?

Hi,

There are several ActiveX types in VB6.
ActiveX EXE
ActiveX DLL
ActiveX Control

You should -only- use an ActiveX DLL in ASP projects and compile it using
'unattended execution' and 'retained in memory'.

Reasons for not working (scaling/hanging) other types of ActiveX's are
related to Threading models that I won't go into (see google about this)...