activex troubles and trials

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mr Seth T, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. Mr Seth T

    Mr Seth T Guest

    Hey,

    I have spent several weeks now trying to find out how to get an
    activex control i have created to work outside of my testing
    environment. I am developing a web app and I need it to run this
    control and it runs great on my development system (VS2005, C#, IE6,
    Win2000Pro, output is a DLL) because as far as I can tell, VS205
    registers the DLL correctly for me. The problem is packaging it so it
    registers itself on any other computer. I have tried publishing the
    DLL on the website by itself, packaging it in a CAB by itself,
    packaging it in in a CAB with a INF file and none of those worked. So
    then I tried to simply copy the dll to the "environment" PC and
    register it with regasm. That didn't work either, it showed up in the
    registry after that but continues to show the error message instead of
    the control on the page. I also tried dumbing down the control in
    case it was some other error inside the control and told it to only
    open and be visible, and that did not work either.

    It is not a security issue; I have allowed it to install unsigned
    controls. This is the object tag I am using.

    <object id="ctlDisplay1" classid="CLSID:AB226553-9C20-3DEF-A52B-
    D264BB802855" codebase="ActiveX.cab#version=1,0,0,0" style="width:
    879px; height: 525px" type="application/x-
    oleobject">
    <param name="ParamMonitorName" value="608" />
    <param name="ParamIgnoreMinutes" value="60" />
    <param name="ParamUpdateFreq" value="5" />
    <param name="ParamSWRequestInterval" value="60" />
    <param name="ParamDBAlarmTime" value="7" />
    <b>ActiveX Controls are not supported under the current
    settings.</b>
    </object>

    The dll that is being created is in vb.NET 2.0 and it contains no
    references outside of the .NET framework The .NET framework 2.0 is
    installed on the "environment" PC. It is using IE6 SP2
    v6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254.

    So, what am I missing? What would make an activex control from a dll
    work on one system and not the other? What is VS2005 doing that makes
    it work at all on the development pc?

    Any help you give will be greatly appreciated, anything.

    please and thank you,
    -Seth

    Mr Seth T, Jun 26, 2007