    many times.

    Any idea how to stop that, or how to direct Excel to see it
    differently, or a resource to find those answers?

    Anne, Feb 6, 2006

  2. Anne

    Rhino Guest

    "Anne" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > When Actuate downloads a report to Excel, some large text fields show
    > up as just a row of # signs. Then the user has to change the format of
    > the row to general. They are getting irritated at having to do that so
    > many times.
    >
    > Any idea how to stop that, or how to direct Excel to see it
    > differently, or a resource to find those answers?

    You could probably get Excel to handle that for you quite easily with an
    Excel macro that gets launched automatically every time Excel is started.

    I don't know what statements you'd put in that macro myself - I only just
    learned to write Word macros the other day and haven't tried Excel macros
    yet - but it shouldn't be too hard to do what you want.

    The language used for Word and Excel macros is VBA (Visual Basic for
    Applications) and there are many resources for this language online; just
    search on VBA in Google. There are also some public Microsoft newsgroups for
    discussing VBA that I found very useful, particularly
    microsoft.public.word.vba.general. (You'll need to add the Microsoft news
    server, msnews.microsoft.com, to your newsreader, then simply subscribe to
    microsoft.public.word.vba.general. Or you can read and post via Google
    Groups if you don't have a newsreader program and don't want to bother with
    one. Mind you, Outlook Express has a built-in newsreader so you shouldn't
    need to install anything new unless you really hate Outlook Express.)

    --
    Rhino

    Rhino, Feb 6, 2006