Ad-ware blockers -- not possible...the light bulb goes on...

Rob R. Ainscough

I'm no ASP.NET 2.0 expert developer, but I've got enough experience with it
to know that there is no ad-ware/spyware and popup blocker that can
effectively work with any ASP.NET 2.0 web site (or just about any other web
technology). I guess the question is -- is this a good thing? Has web
development just become a technology game of who can figure out how to avoid
adware/spyware and popup blockers and inject your own latest privacy
violator (aka data gathering)?

I look at the Internet and see 95% ads and junk to take advantage of the
hapless surfer -- this junk got there by web designers and web developers.
It is a pretty depressing realization. No matter how much I try to keep my
web sites plain and simple and with a valid purpose, my clients ALWAYS
(without exception) want me to add trackers, data miners, etc. etc. and when
I say they need to update their privacy policy they say "don't worry about
that".

In fact, the realization is that I can't touch the Internet without being
monitored, tracked, or bombarded with ads and junk. Don't know why it has
suddenly hit me now, maybe because I'm just getting too old and having this
as an "achievement" in my adventure of life is NOT what I want to see on my
tomb stone, but it is clearly making me decide if I want to even continue
with of web development at all (maybe Intranets, but certainly not www).

Is there a world wide alternative -- a commercial free and privacey intact
zone?

Rob.

Guest

There is nothing that would pop on the web server. Pop-up blockers work in
the browser. IE 6 has a pop-up blocker. If the user conciously clicks on
something pop-ups work just fine.

Arne.

Rob R. Ainscough

"There is nothing that would pop on the web server" ??? confused, did I
suggest that? Don't think I did, but if I did then I communicated poorly.

Popup blockers can work at many levels, the client browser is just one
level. The better popup blocker should run as a Windows Service and monitor
IE window handles and close the window handle -- integrating popup blockers
within the IE is a futile waste of time - it may stop some - but the blocker
can and will be circumvented -- there are many ways to emulate a "user
conciously clicks".

john smith

Rob said:
I'm no ASP.NET 2.0 expert developer, but I've got enough experience with it
to know that there is no ad-ware/spyware and popup blocker that can
effectively work with any ASP.NET 2.0 web site

The Adblock extension in Firefox will block pretty much all the ads on
any page that's using any server-side technology (except things like
html/text ads obviously, which one could remove using some scripts using
an extension like greasemonkey). Adblock can also block various site
counters and such.

Unless you mean popups? (you mention popup blockers), I rarely see those
(again, using Firefox). Once a week or so is hardly an issue...

I don't see what this has to do with ASP.NET 2.0 (much less a developer
help group) in any way... And I find that statement of yours (quoted) to
be false (at least ASP.NET 2.0 is no different than any other server
side tech when it comes to this - it's 100% irrelevant really).

Rob R. Ainscough

Once a week -- and this will grow to twice a week, to everyday, to 10 times
a day, etc. etc...

I think I'm over my moral issue as the privacy battle was lost long ago when
TCP/IP became the preferred communcations protocol and obtaining a "trusted"
component was just too easy and the entire process is just hokey with a
capital H.

Is Vista the answer, I doubt it -- somewhere in Visat there will be a door.
Too bad the internet has doomed itself to touching only 1 in 5 people.

RodneyMcAu