    currently displaying? I want the user right click the page in IE,
    select my program, then my program can process the page.

    Thanks a lot.
    Kaidi, Sep 28, 2004

  2. On 28 Sep 2004 14:56:20 -0700, Kaidi wrote:

    > I am writing a program and I want to add it to windows IE's right
    > click menu (through java programming, not manually edit any windows
    > setting, of course).

    Why just Windows IE?

    > That is: when a user right click the mouse in IE, he ..

    Use 'they'. It means 'he or she or them'.
    You want to sell to everyone, right?

    > ...My feeling is I need to use some OS
    > related (WinXP, etc) calls/functions.

    My feeling is that a project for IE in Windows is best done
    with .Net.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Kaidi

    Ben_ Guest

    At some point, you'll need the user to run an installation for you to
    register your context menu extension and install the application to handle
    the menu action.

    The key to IE's context menu extension is
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt.

    See http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/ext/extensions.asp in
    particular, and
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/ext/tutorials/menu.asp in
    general.

    To modify the registry in java you need some native code to wrap calls to
    Win32 APIs (there are different implementations freely available but I can't
    remember one out of my head right now though). An alternate solution is to
    launch "regedit myfile.reg /S" (if I remember correctly with /S you don't
    get a popup).

    As to how to retrieve the current URL, I suppose it's available somehow :),
    but I don't know specifically in this case. I did it with a Javascript
    extension and it is available via 'external.menuArguments.location.href'. As
    you'll see it from the registry, the "classical" way to do this is to
    register an HTML page with javascript, which has then access to the special
    menuArguments object. From there you could launch your app. To get a feeling
    of this, you can look at the registry keys and at %WINDIR%\Web, where the
    extensions are usually installed.

    HTH.
    Ben_, Sep 29, 2004
  4. Kaidi

    ras_nas Guest

    Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message
    > On 28 Sep 2004 14:56:20 -0700, Kaidi wrote:

    > > That is: when a user right click the mouse in IE, he ..

    > Use 'they'. It means 'he or she or them'.
    > You want to sell to everyone, right?

    By the time Kaidi reached the 'he' , they were too lazy to go back and
    change 'a user' to 'users' , so the 'he' remained :p

    Rico.
    ras_nas, Sep 29, 2004