add binary to gem spec?

Giles Bowkett

Hi all - I want to add a Ruby script to a gem, so that users of the
gem get not just the gem itself but also a script in /opt/local/bin
that they can run which packages up some of the functionality on the
command line. Very much like s3sh in the Amazon S3 gem (gem install
aws-s3).

Any pointers to relevant docs? Couldn't find it in the Pickaxe.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

Jeremy McAnally

Why not just use something like newgem or hoe to build your gem that
will handle this sort of stuff for you?

--Jeremy

Hi all - I want to add a Ruby script to a gem, so that users of the
gem get not just the gem itself but also a script in /opt/local/bin
that they can run which packages up some of the functionality on the
command line. Very much like s3sh in the Amazon S3 gem (gem install
aws-s3).

Any pointers to relevant docs? Couldn't find it in the Pickaxe.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

--
http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

My books:
Ruby in Practice
http://www.manning.com/mcanally/

My free Ruby e-book
http://www.humblelittlerubybook.com/

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/

Luis Lavena

Why not just use something like newgem or hoe to build your gem that
will handle this sort of stuff for you?

Because at the end of the day, you outsource all the core of getting
things working to external tools.

What happen if they are broken? How can you get the picture and maybe
provide a patch to fix the "misbehaving" function?

Having the understanding to do it helps more than letting "magic
happens" for you all the time.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems

Giles Bowkett

Why not just use something like newgem or hoe to build your gem that
Because at the end of the day, you outsource all the core of getting
things working to external tools.

What happen if they are broken? How can you get the picture and maybe
provide a patch to fix the "misbehaving" function?

Having the understanding to do it helps more than letting "magic
happens" for you all the time.

I agree with that, but I used Hoe to generate the file structure. I
think I got to a point where Hoe stopped being obvious, and then I
thought, well, if I have to learn something, it's probably faster to
learn Gems.