Add-ons

Mantas Miliukas

Hi,

We have developed a web solution using ASP.NET.

Now, there is a need of add-ons for our web solution.
We want to allow third party companies write their own code and put it to
our web solution.

But there is one problem :)

Let's say our website contains dlls of 1.0 version.
The third party company writes their own dll that references our dll of 1.0
version.
Everything works fine until the website contains dlls of 1.0 version.
In case if we upgrade the web solution from 1.0 to 2.0 version, the third
part add-ons won't work.
The whole website will go down, because third party addon seeks for dll of
version 1.0 and doesn't find it.

Do you have any suggestions how this framework should be implemented?
Perpahps you can specify some good article?

Best regards,
Mantas Miliukas
mmiliukas(replace with @)doclogix.lt

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mantas,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the assembly versioning problem in asp.net web based
application whch will adopt micro-core/add-on architecture, here are some
of my understanding:

For .net application, the assembly's reference(to other assemblies...) have
strong-reference or weak reference.... For strong-reference, it will
identify the referenced assemblies' Full name( name, culture, version,
public key token....), and this is only applied on strong-named assembly...
For private assemblies(non-strongnamed), such version or key token
checking is not performed....)..
So this this concern with your scenario, is your main application's
assemblies(which will change version...) strong-named? If not, then we
won't need to worry about versioning problem.....

If your application's shared/core assemblies are strong-named, then, we
need to consider versioning problem. Based on my experience, we can use
the .net's assembly version binding/redirection to redirect different
version of certain assemblies (by specify assembly's identitfy....). Here
is the MSDN reference demonstrate redirecting assembly version:

#Redirecting Assembly Versions
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconAssemblyVersionRed
irection.asp?frame=true

Also, the below aritcle can help you better understandg how .net runtime
locate assemblies:

#How the Runtime Locates Assemblies
l/cpconhowruntimelocatesassemblies.asp

In addition, one thing need to take care is that for ASP.NET web
application, we should always put those strong-named assemblies used in
GAC, this is because ASP.NET application dosn't support strong-named
assemblies in private bin path.....

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Mantas Miliukas" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Add-ons
| Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:12:23 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| We have developed a web solution using ASP.NET.
|
| Now, there is a need of add-ons for our web solution.
| We want to allow third party companies write their own code and put it to
| our web solution.
|
| But there is one problem :)
|
| Let's say our website contains dlls of 1.0 version.
| The third party company writes their own dll that references our dll of
1.0
| version.
| Everything works fine until the website contains dlls of 1.0 version.
| In case if we upgrade the web solution from 1.0 to 2.0 version, the third
| part add-ons won't work.
| The whole website will go down, because third party addon seeks for dll
of
| version 1.0 and doesn't find it.
|
| Do you have any suggestions how this framework should be implemented?
| Perpahps you can specify some good article?
|
| Best regards,
| Mantas Miliukas
| mmiliukas(replace with @)doclogix.lt

Mantas Miliukas

Hi,

Our web solution consists only of strongly-named assemblies.

I liked your idea with assembly version redirecting,
however it would be too hard to maintain and ensure the integrity of the
whole system with large number of add-ons.

We have another solution:

Lets say we have one assembly which contains only interfaces.
Web solution assemblies only implement those interfaces. We assume that
interfaces are static, they wont' change as fast as the product core.

So third party addon developer should load our assemblies dynamically and
cast using the provided interfaces.
The web solution upgrades wont' impact the behavior of the addons until the
interfaces dll is not changed.

What do you think about it?
Have you heard any familiar patterns?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Mantas Miliukas
mmiliukas(replace with @)doclogix.lt

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Mantas,

Using micro core( common interfaces) and mutiple concrete implementation is
a good design style. One thing I'm not sure is how will the 3rd party
developers dynamically load those assembly? IMO, they just need to
statically reference your core interfaces assembly and develop their own
concrete implementation... Also, as long as your interface assembly (if
strong-named) dosn't change version, those concrete implement assemblies's
version changing won't hurt your main application as long as your main
application is coded based on interfaces...

Regards,

> [...]

| > need to consider versioning problem. Based on my experience, we can use
| > the .net's assembly version binding/redirection to redirect different
| > version of certain assemblies (by specify assembly's identitfy....).
Here
| > is the MSDN reference demonstrate redirecting assembly version:
| >
| > #Redirecting Assembly Versions

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconAssemblyVersionRed
| > irection.asp?frame=true
| >
| > Also, the below aritcle can help you better understandg how .net runtime
| > locate assemblies:
| >
| > #How the Runtime Locates Assemblies

| > l/cpconhowruntimelocatesassemblies.asp
| >
| > In addition, one thing need to take care is that for ASP.NET web
| > application, we should always put those strong-named assemblies used in
| > GAC, this is because ASP.NET application dosn't support strong-named

| > |
| > | But there is one problem :)
| > |
| > | Let's say our website contains dlls of 1.0 version.
| > | The third party company writes their own dll that references our dll
of
| > 1.0
| > | version.
| > | Everything works fine until the website contains dlls of 1.0 version.
| > | In case if we upgrade the web solution from 1.0 to 2.0 version, the
| > third
| > | part add-ons won't work.
| > | The whole website will go down, because third party addon seeks for
dll
| > of
| > | version 1.0 and doesn't find it.
| > |
| > | Do you have any suggestions how this framework should be implemented?
| > | Perpahps you can specify some good article?
| > |
| > | Best regards,
| > | Mantas Miliukas
| > | mmiliukas(replace with @)doclogix.lt
| > |
| > |
| > |

Mantas Miliukas

Thanks for advices :)

Regards,
Mantas Miliukas

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

| > the .net's assembly version binding/redirection to redirect different
| > version of certain assemblies (by specify assembly's identitfy....).
Here
| > is the MSDN reference demonstrate redirecting assembly version:
| >
| > #Redirecting Assembly Versions

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconAssemblyVersionRed
| > irection.asp?frame=true
| >
| > Also, the below aritcle can help you better understandg how .net
runtime
| > locate assemblies:
| >
| > #How the Runtime Locates Assemblies

| > l/cpconhowruntimelocatesassemblies.asp
| >
| > In addition, one thing need to take care is that for ASP.NET web
| > application, we should always put those strong-named assemblies used
in
| > GAC, this is because ASP.NET application dosn't support strong-named

| > |
| > | But there is one problem :)
| > |
| > | Let's say our website contains dlls of 1.0 version.
| > | The third party company writes their own dll that references our dll
of
| > 1.0
| > | version.
| > | Everything works fine until the website contains dlls of 1.0
version.
| > | In case if we upgrade the web solution from 1.0 to 2.0 version, the
| > third
| > | part add-ons won't work.
| > | The whole website will go down, because third party addon seeks for
dll
| > of
| > | version 1.0 and doesn't find it.
| > |
| > | Do you have any suggestions how this framework should be
implemented?
| > | Perpahps you can specify some good article?
| > |
| > | Best regards,
| > | Mantas Miliukas
| > | mmiliukas(replace with @)doclogix.lt
| > |
| > |
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Mantas,

Good luck.

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Mantas Miliukas" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Add-ons
| Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:11:21 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for advices :)
|
| Regards,
| Mantas Miliukas
|
| | > Thanks for your followup Mantas,
| >
| > Using micro core( common interfaces) and mutiple concrete
implementation
| > is
| > a good design style. One thing I'm not sure is how will the 3rd party
| > developers dynamically load those assembly? IMO, they just need to
| > statically reference your core interfaces assembly and develop their own
| > concrete implementation... Also, as long as your interface assembly
(if
| > strong-named) dosn't change version, those concrete implement
assemblies's
| > version changing won't hurt your main application as long as your main
| > application is coded based on interfaces...
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Mantas Miliukas" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Add-ons
| > | Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:30:24 +0200
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | Our web solution consists only of strongly-named assemblies.
| > |
| > | I liked your idea with assembly version redirecting,
| > | however it would be too hard to maintain and ensure the integrity of
the
| > | whole system with large number of add-ons.
| > |
| > | We have another solution:
| > |
| > | Lets say we have one assembly which contains only interfaces.
| > | Web solution assemblies only implement those interfaces. We assume
that
| > | interfaces are static, they wont' change as fast as the product core.
| > |
| > | So third party addon developer should load our assemblies dynamically
| > and
| > | cast using the provided interfaces.
| > | The web solution upgrades wont' impact the behavior of the addons
until
| > the
| > | interfaces dll is not changed.
| > |