add Root CA cert in ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dmitry Akselrod, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. Hello everyone,

    I am in the process of implementing an internal Certificate Authority on a
    client's network. The CA will issue certificates to several intranet web
    apps that will be accessible to remote users. I would like to
    programmatically add the Root CA cert to the users' Trusted Root CA store.

    I have reviewed dseveral articles offering example code on how to achieve
    this using the CEnroll ActiveX control, incluing MS KB 297681. However, all
    of the methods I have seen, attempt to add the Root CA cert to the users'
    store, without checking first if they already have it installed. I need to
    accomplish this in a cleaner way.

    I need to check the user's cert store to see if the Root CA cert is already
    listed in the Trusted Root CA store. I would then, either redirect the user
    to a page that explains why they need to install the certificate and prompts
    to them to install it; or if they already trust the Root CA, redirect them
    to the web app.

    Is there a way I can use the CEnroll ActiveX control to find out if my Root
    CA is already trusted by the user? Or would this be a security issue? I
    reviewed the CEnroll ActiveX control on the MSDN site, and did not see a
    property or method that would allow me to accomplish this.

    Thank you,

    Dmitry Akselrod

    Dmitry Akselrod, Aug 28, 2004