add to favorites link

shank

Is there any one "add to favorites" code that will work for IE, NS, AOL, and
a host of others? At least some code that will give me an effective "add to
favorites" for the highest percentage of users. The code in my searches have
been disclaimed has working with this but not that. I'm not sure how old
some of this code is either.
thanks!

Jerry Park

shank said:
Is there any one "add to favorites" code that will work for IE, NS, AOL, and
a host of others? At least some code that will give me an effective "add to
favorites" for the highest percentage of users. The code in my searches have
been disclaimed has working with this but not that. I'm not sure how old
some of this code is either.
thanks!
There shouldn't be a way to do that in any browser.

If I want a bookmark (or favorite) to your site, I'll add it manually. I
don't want anyone's programming to modify my browser.

shank

Jerry Park said:
There shouldn't be a way to do that in any browser.

If I want a bookmark (or favorite) to your site, I'll add it manually. I
don't want anyone's programming to modify my browser.
I wasn't intending to do it manually.
I would have a button or link.

Philip Ronan

I wasn't intending to do it manually.
I would have a button or link.

I think what Jerry means is that if there happened to be some way of doing
this in Javascript, then every idiot web designer would try and add his own
site to the favorites list of every single visitor without asking their
permission (e.g., <BODY onload='addToFavorites()'>). (OK, so you would have
a "button or link", but there's already a button in just about every browser
that fulfils this purpose anyway.)

So where would that get us? Everyone would have favorites lists full of
rubbishy websites that had added themselves automatically, and the whole
idea of having a Favorites list would become useless overnight.

That's why it's impossible. Hope that clears everything up.

Phil

andy

Philip said:
On 03.8.10 8:15 PM, shank wrote:
snip

So where would that get us? Everyone would have favorites lists full of
rubbishy websites that had added themselves automatically, and the whole
idea of having a Favorites list would become useless overnight.

That's why it's impossible. Hope that clears everything up.

Phil

Is it possible using some other method?

I'm asking because this happened to me once.
A mysterious site appeared in my favourites list.

I like to know how they did that!

Cheers.