    a company that is only providing their WSDL to their customers.

    Thanks,
    , Aug 1, 2008

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am using Visual Studio 2003. In the past I would use a copy of the
    > wsdl stored in my harddrive (C:\dir\dir\x.wsdl), instead of using a
    > url in the Add Web Reference wizard. However, now I get an error
    > message, "There was an error downloading".
    >
    > I could move this file a web site and do it that way, but does anyone
    > have any ideas on why MS removed this capabililty. I am working with
    > a company that is only providing their WSDL to their customers.

    The capability was not removed.

    Please detail the steps you're taking, the version you're using, etc.

    John Saunders, Aug 2, 2008

    On Aug 2, 2:22 pm, "John Saunders" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > I am using Visual Studio 2003.  In the past I would use a copy of the
    > > wsdl stored in my harddrive (C:\dir\dir\x.wsdl), instead of using a
    > > url in the Add Web Reference wizard.  However, now I get an error
    > > message, "There was an error downloading".

    > > I could move this file a web site and do it that way, but does anyone
    > > have any ideas on why MS removed this capabililty.  I am working with
    > > a company that is only providing their WSDL to their customers.

    > The capability was not removed.
    >
    > Please detail the steps you're taking, the version you're using, etc.
    >
    > --
    > John Saunders | MVP - Connected System Developer

    I have both Visual Studio 2005 SP1 and Visual Studio 2003 SP1 running
    on my workstation.
    1. The WSDL would be sent to me as an attachment in an email.
    2. I would copy the WSDL onto my harddrive.
    3. I would open VS 2003 and open the Web Reference Wizard
    4. Instead of entering the url, I would enter the location of the
    WSDL on my hard drive.
    5. When I do this I get "There was an error downloading" and the
    "Access to the path" error.

    This use to work in the past, but I believe that an auto update patch
    tightened up the security and prevents this from working.
    I would have thought that the Web Reference wizard would be running
    under my user credentials instead of ASPNET or some other user.

    Anyone know why this no longer works.
    Thank,
    , Aug 4, 2008
  4. <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 2, 2:22 pm, "John Saunders" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    > I have both Visual Studio 2005 SP1 and Visual Studio 2003 SP1 running
    > on my workstation.
    > 1. The WSDL would be sent to me as an attachment in an email.
    > 2. I would copy the WSDL onto my harddrive.
    > 3. I would open VS 2003 and open the Web Reference Wizard
    > 4. Instead of entering the url, I would enter the location of the
    > WSDL on my hard drive.
    > 5. When I do this I get "There was an error downloading" and the
    > "Access to the path" error.
    >
    > This use to work in the past, but I believe that an auto update patch
    > tightened up the security and prevents this from working.
    > I would have thought that the Web Reference wizard would be running
    > under my user credentials instead of ASPNET or some other user.

    If the message you're receiving is "Access to the path ... is denied", then
    that message is from the operating system, not from Visual Studio. Visual
    Studio hasn't just made a decision on which files you're permitted to
    access!

    I recommend you download Process Monitor from
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx and watch
    devenv.exe while you're trying to add the web reference. This will show you
    which file is failing and exactly why. You can also try the same thing from
    VS2003 and see how it accesses the file differently. This may tell you what
    needs to change.
    John Saunders, Aug 5, 2008