Addhandler help

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by UGH, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. UGH

    UGH Guest

    I am adding image buttons dynamically and I need to add event handler when
    the user clicks on one of those image buttons which will have different id
    for reports.

    Here is my code

    LnkImage = New ImageButton()
    LnkImage.ImageUrl = "~/printer.gif"
    LnkImage.ID = "ib" & oArray(1, id)
    AddHandler LnkImage.Command, AddressOf NewIbnCommandEvent()
    cellItem.Controls.Add(LnkImage)

    here is the handler

    Private Sub NewIbnCommandEvent(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.ImageClickEventArgs)
    ' Will do something here
    Reponse.redirect(""~/appt.aspx?appt_id=" & LnkImage.ID")
    End Sub

    But I get this error message. Argument not specified for parameter 'e' of
    'Private Sub NewIbnCommandEvent(sender As Object, e As
    System.Web.UI.ImageClickEventArgs)'.

    I do not know what to put in between the () AddHandler LnkImage.Command,
    AddressOf NewIbnCommandEvent()

    Thanks for any help.

    UGH, Nov 29, 2004

  2. UGH

    Kumar Reddi Guest

    Hi,
    Please remove the parenthesis in the AddHandler code for the eventhandler,
    your code should be

    AddHandler LnkImage.Command, AddressOf NewIbnCommandEvent

    instead of

    AddHandler LnkImage.Command, AddressOf NewIbnCommandEvent()

    For more information take a look at the following microsoft link

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbls7/html/vblrfVBSpec8_6_2.asp

    Good Luck

    --
    Kumar Reddi
    http://kumarreddi.blogspot.com

    Kumar Reddi, Nov 29, 2004

  3. UGH

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Couple things,

    first to get rid of the error, simply remove the () after the addressof, so
    instead of:
    AddHandler LnkImage.Command, AddressOf NewIbnCommandEvent()

    do:
    AddHandler LnkImage.Command, AddressOf NewIbnCommandEvent

    simple, non?

    Secondly, if you are going to use Command instead of Click (which you
    probably want to in this case), your 2nd parameter needs to be of type
    System.Web.UI.WEbControls.CommandEventArgs. ImageclickEventArgs is for the
    click event

    Lastly, consider using LnkImage.CommandArgument = "ib" & oArray(i,id) and
    use e.commandArgument as your parameter in your redirect. This way LnkImage
    doesn't have to be declared as a global property - simply scope it where you
    create it and forget about it.

    Karl
    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Nov 29, 2004
  4. UGH

    UGH Guest

    I otok out the () but it still gives me the error.

    XXXXXXX.aspx.vb(218): Method 'Private Sub NewIbnCommandEvent()' does not
    have the same signature as delegate 'Delegate Sub CommandEventHandler(sender
    As Object, e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CommandEventArgs)'.

    UGH, Nov 30, 2004
  5. UGH

    Karl Seguin Guest

    If you read my original reply, you'll see that I addressed this...it's my
    second point.

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Nov 30, 2004
  6. UGH

    UGH Guest

    It is not clear to me but I figured out what you meant however the handler
    that I added does not fired when I click on the button.

    UGH, Nov 30, 2004
  7. UGH

    Karl Seguin Guest

    The linkimage must be added on postback and must have the handler hooked
    then. In other words you CAN'T wrap the code in a if not page.ispostback.

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Nov 30, 2004
  8. UGH

    UGH Guest

    got it, wow this was a little tuff for me to grasp.

    Thanks

    UGH, Nov 30, 2004