Adding a delimiter inbetween number characters and letter characters

Tad McClellan

I would be much oblidged to anyone who can
post a little snippet of code for me.

We help those who help themselves.

*You* post a little snippet of code for us, and we will [1]
help you fix it.

This is not a "write my program for me" service.

[1] Except that you are now likely to be widely killfiled...

Tad McClellan

One last post Sherm, then I'm done. No matter what obscenities you
respond with,

Please show us exactly what obscenities Sherm posted that
you are referring to.

(it is customary to quote some context when composing a followup.)

I for one, think you are making stuff up to support your
untenable position.

Tad McClellan

I've been posting on these groups for over
10 years back when it was DejaNews

Usenet was *never* DejaNews.

Usenet has been chugging along since 1979, long before Deja's existence.

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
Showing the passion of your emotions is very unattractive

Lucky for us, this is not Fifth Wheel, we don't care about what you find
attractive.

Sinan.

Jürgen Exner

I've been posting on these groups for over
10 years back when it was DejaNews

"These groups" never were DejaNews.
DejaNews simply provided an archive for Usenet.

jue

Arndt Jonasson

Tad McClellan said:
Please show us exactly what obscenities Sherm posted that
you are referring to.

(it is customary to quote some context when composing a followup.)

I for one, think you are making stuff up to support your
untenable position.

Didn't you plonk him five minutes ago?

Arndt Jonasson

A. Sinan Unur said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote in @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Lucky for us, this is not Fifth Wheel, we don't care about what you find
attractive.

What's "Fifth wheel"? I didn't find google's hits helpful.

Tad McClellan

Arndt Jonasson said:
Didn't you plonk him five minutes ago?

Yes, but I usually manually un-delete them for a few days to either:

Be amused at yet another example of human idiocy (until it becomes tedious)

Make further points in this thread while ignoring future threads

Make sure I didn't knee-jerk someone in who doesn't truly belong

Show the valuable type of response that getting killfiled costs them

Actually answer the question because it is an unusually slow day
and I have time to give, even to those who won't respect it

I also occasionally un-delete long-killfiled folks to check up
on how they are behaving.

Getting killfiled does not guarantee ignoration, it only makes
it much more likely.

Tad McClellan

Arndt Jonasson said:
What's "Fifth wheel"? I didn't find google's hits helpful.

It is a dating "game show" on television in the U.S. where a
fifth person is added after four people (2 male, 2 female)
have gone out on a few dates together.

I guess that what happens to the existing relationships after adding
"the fifth wheel" is supposed to be entertaining or interesting...

Michele Dondi

However, here is some code for you.
Since I'm new to Perl, too, this is certanly not the best way to solve
your problem, but it works.
I took your OP, to analyze the problem by myself and practice coding.

1 #!/usr/bin/perl

There's hardly any need IMHO to include line numbers. To be fair,
personally I find them to be disturbing...
3 use warnings;
4 use strict;
Good!

5 my $lastline="";
6 my @lastline;
7
8 while (<DATA>)
9 {
10 chomp ($lastline) if (/^\D/);
11 &printline;
12 $lastline = $_;

Do you _really_ need this $lastline algorithmic madness?
13 }
14 &printline;

There's no need to use the &-form of sub call in Perl5: most likely it
won't do what you mean. See 'perldoc perlsub'.

Michele

Michele Dondi

This way I can go from a text file to Excel and then into a database.
Could anyone help me with this?

Incidentally, I have very little experience with databases, but if
this is your purpose then there are much much much better ways (all in
perl, that is) to accomplish the task than following the awkward path
you've chosen.

Michele

Michele Dondi

Anyone can feel free to post helpful messages despite Paul Lalli's
post. I realize it is trivial, I'm not a Perl programmer, and I am
reading up, but my project is waiting for this one simple task to be
completed before moving on so the faster I figure this out the better.

This _does_ make sense, per se. BUT if you analize the matter more
closely, then you find out the kind of question you asked is SO
elementary that you can hardly imagine one to have even the slightest
good will to "move on" if he refuses to accept the advices he's given
as a good chance to learn. He's not directed you to a study that could
possibly take you days or even hours, it's just a matter of 5 minutes
or so, period.

So there are two possibilities: (i) you don't know Perl, and you don't
want to, and claim so; so you're asking una tantum: so far so fine!
Then most probably someone will give you a helping hand anyway. (ii)
you need/must/want to use perl more than once, as your postS suggest,
then it' UNREASONABLE to proceed without learning how to do such a
simple task as the one you described: it's typically described in the
very first few pages of any introductory text, be it either in
commercial hardcopy or in the form of a free document online. It may
not seem to you to be so, but you've been KINDLY directed to the
relevant piecese od documentation.

I say "KINDLY", because anybody who would send you to said docs is
doing you a favour.
Paul if its so easy why not code to do it? I suggest you read up on
newsgroup etiquette.

Does any newsgroup etiquette you're implicitly claiming to be so
familiar with recommend to post replies with no reference whatsoever
to the message they're following up to?!?

Michele

Michele Dondi

Anyone can feel free to post helpful messages despite Paul Lalli's [snip]
Paul if its so easy why not post code to do it? I suggest YOU read up
on newsgroup etiquette.

PLEASE do NOT post articles containing no reference whatsoever to...
whatever you're replying to.

PLEASE do NOT post the same article twice.

Michele

Michele Dondi

In spite of Scotts message anyone can feel free to post useful
information. Scott, I already knew about those references. I've been
going through them. My post did not violate any rules for this group, I

Your post indeed violated partly implicit partly explicit behavioural
rules arosen from some sort of general consensus amongst the regulars
here out of common sense to make communications here achieve a high
signal/noise ratio.
have read those too. I am not new to newgroups, only to the Perl
language. You guys could make someone new here a little more
comfortable posting questions. Rather than more people telling me how

You'd be surprised to hear this, and you're free not to trust me on my
word (but you really should, instead!) but newbies more or less at
your level continuously ask questions more or less at the level of
yours. And you won't believe how many of them thank the regulars here
with cmts like "thank you for the responsiveness, what a wonderful
group"!

However no matter how little one knows about Perl, (i) WHAT one asks,
(ii) HOW he/she asks it and (iii) HOW they're willing to accept the
replies DO matter...

This kind of people, when directed to the relevant docs, even by means
of a "gentle RTFM!" have the intelligence and the common sense to
understand that they've been given good advice.

OTOH every now and again newbies with an attitude pop in reacting
harshly, like you did, to just the same kind of replies and start
arguing about how unfriendly the group is and similar stuff, thus
rapidly ending in the killfile of the most helpful, knowledgeable and
resourceful regulars.
little I know about Perl, I would be much oblidged to anyone who can
post a little snippet of code for me.

The point is that as long as this is una tantum it's ok. But the claim
that you're willing to know more about Perl is INCOMPATIBLE with the
refusal of finding by yourself "how to do it", especially when finding
out "how to do it" in the relevant docs you've been pointed to is a
matter of 5 MINUTES!!

Incidentally, FWIW I think it's incompatible with the claim that "you
already knew about those references", because you can't have read them
and not know "how to do it" or else you must be a complete moron. Are
you? Are you willing to give that impression?

Michele

Michele Dondi

Ahhhh...Thank you guys. I apologize for this threads explosion, it got
a little out of hand. I just in practice never reply to a post unless I
have the answer so it irks me when others don't follow that practice.

Please note that just about EVERYBODY who answered in the first place
DID have the answer, be it in the RTFM form or not. And IN THIS CASE
indeed the RTFM ones were the best.
Next time I'll just remain silent. I really thank you guys for your
help.

3rd attempt: please include (properly trimmed down to the bare
necessary minimum) quotes of the relevant material you're replying
to!!! (especially taking into account your claims about etiquette -
that begin to sound ridicule!)

Michele

Michele Dondi

4th attempt: please include (properly trimmed down to the bare
necessary minimum) quotes of the relevant material you're replying
to!!! (especially taking into account your claims about etiquette -
that begin to sound ridicule!)

One last post Sherm, then I'm done. No matter what obscenities you
respond with, and understand this, I'm happy. The code snippet Jim and

Up to the point I read this post in this thread, no obscenity had
popped in. For sure not in Sherm's post, that oh... you didn't quote,
BTW.
Brian gave me worked. Though in the spirit of learning I wouldn't mind
getting a break down of what each portion does, RegEx's confuse me.

COMPLEX regexen tend to become confusing, that's what /x is for.
However they can still be confusing, but that's to a large extent a
personal matter. There's NO way a regex just as simple and elementary
like the one required for your purpose can be confusing, or else
abandon Perl (and whatever has to do with regexen) altogether,
forever.
But heres what I want to say, and in all logic try to understand,
putting emotions aside. When you ask someone how to do something and

IMHO comparing what others wrote in this thread and the kind of
reaction you responded with suggest that there's only one person that
should put emotions aside, namely YOU. But that is MHO...
they say "read the manual" in practice that is basically dismissing the

No it isn't, IF RTM is a matter of a few lines that first or later you
will have to read anyway, if you're willing to do anything useful in
Perl, that is...
question. It has an arrogant "better than thou" tone to it. Is this

No, it doesn't. I think you're about the only one who interpreted it
so. I ASSURE you that nobody would ever assume such a tone in relation
to such a trivial matter.
hard to understand? Perhaps Paul didn't understand this and still
doesn't recognize it. Perhaps he didn't even mean it this way, but
anyone who has asked a question and gotten "Pssh, thats easy read the
manual" knows exactly what I mean. First that assumes I haven't read

I know that when it happened to me so, it has been a good chance to
learn something new. I have accepted the advice respectfully...

Granted, first or later you'll find idiots who think to be experts and
will give you an RTFM kinda answer even whtn "RTFM" is not so obvious.

Quite similarly first or later you'll find idiots who will give you
ready-made answers (often of mediocre quality at best) when "RTFM"
would have been the kind of answer you would have benefit most.

In practice, had you lurked for a while here, you would have
understood with no doubt that Paul is an extremely helping person and
a knowledgeable contributor to the group, so that if he points you to
the FM, you could at least concede yourself a doubt that he's done so
for your convenience.
those docs. Which I am still doing (and was doing before I asked the
question) because I have a few more things I need to do in Perl after
this. But I don't see the harm in posting a question before I know
everything about Perl. Now I realize it is a mortal sin to have any

Nobody is urging you to become an excellent Perl hacker in a week or
so. Nobody is bashing you for not knowing everything about Perl.
You're being bashed for your refusal to understand that you can't
proceed any further without at least knowing such BASIC.
kind of response to a person on newsgroups who basically tells you to
"**** off" without multiple allies otherwise you get a barrage of
emails from that person and his cronies defending him. Thats a mistake
I made. I'm lucky that some people still were willing to help me
because no matter what you say after you have a swarm of enemies
bombarding you with replies, you always come out the bad guy. So thanks
to those who helped. But I just want to make that clear.

Please note that those who helped did so DESPITE and not BECAUSE OF
your arrogance. Quite about anybody here could have helped you the way
you mean "to help", but you have to understand that those who gave you
a different answer did help you as well...

Michele

Michele Dondi

In spite of Scotts message anyone can feel free to post useful [snip]
little I know about Perl, I would be much oblidged to anyone who can
post a little snippet of code for me.

5th attempt: please include (properly trimmed down to the bare
necessary minimum) quotes of the relevant material you're replying
to!!! (especially taking into account your claims about etiquette -
that begin to sound ridicule!)

Please do not send multiple copies of the same posts...

Please, do your best to stop harassing the group...

Michele

Michele Dondi

6th attempt: please include (properly trimmed down to the bare
necessary minimum) quotes of the relevant material you're replying
to!!! (especially taking into account your claims about etiquette -
that begin to sound ridicule!)

I'm not going to let my temper get the better of me Paul, like you just
did. Showing the passion of your emotions is very unattractive in
groups like this. Perhaps my "project coordinator" hired the wrong

HUH?!? He made a joke, but once again it seems to me that you're
really attributing to others your own faults for nobody but YOU let
his own temper get the best of himself...
"staff", true. But the facts are:

1) I have to get this done
OK!

It would have been, had you the care of reading those docs.

And if you did read them as you've repeatedly claimed (but I find it
hard to believe!) then you should have pointed so in the first place,
and you should have pointed out what you find so hard to understand
about them, too, so that somebody could have provided useful comments
on those particular issues.
3) I still need help

So what?!?
I hope you will accept an apology for insulting you. I have read the
guidelines for this group. I've been posting on these groups for over
10 years back when it was DejaNews and it has and probably will remain
a forum to ask people to write code for you, many people learn this way.

(I) Technically "these groups" (which ones? As far as I can see you're
only posting to clpmisc) are NOT "a forum". (II) It has NEVER "been
DejaNews", just as much as now it is NOT "Google".

Claims like these tend to strenghten the impression you've not the
smallest clue about what you're talking about and together with the
arrogant tone you're bringing them in give them impression you're
trying to do the best to make a fool of yourself...

Michele

Sherm Pendley

Michele said:
There's hardly any need IMHO to include line numbers. To be fair,
personally I find them to be disturbing...

10 PRINT "Having BASIC flashbacks, Michele? :)"
20 GOTO 10

sherm--