Adding a printer from a web form

alan

What I am trying to do is installing printers on the end-user machine
through a hyperlink
Simply user goes to a web page,
sees a printer name, clicks on a hyperlink(which is \\servername\printer ) ,
and the printer gets installed

The same way as a user does when conncets to a printer through the
Start --> Run... and typing a path like \\servername\printer
I want the same functionality, but through a
hyperlink. Everything in a local network.
Any help would be apreciated.

Damien

alan said:
What I am trying to do is installing printers on the end-user machine
through a hyperlink
Simply user goes to a web page,
sees a printer name, clicks on a hyperlink(which is \\servername\printer ) ,
and the printer gets installed

The same way as a user does when conncets to a printer through the
Start --> Run... and typing a path like \\servername\printer
I want the same functionality, but through a
hyperlink. Everything in a local network.
Any help would be apreciated.

Isn't this functionality built into print servers? Something like
http://<server name>/printers should connect you to pages which do this
sort of thing. Either just use it, or copy the HTML.

Damien

stan

Isn't this functionality built into print servers? Something like
http://<server name>/printers should connect you to pages which do this
sort of thing. Either just use it, or copy the HTML.
There are many different printers in the network, so this solution doesn't
work.
I thought that would be a .net class for adding printer, but I couldn't find
it.

Damien

stan said:
There are many different printers in the network, so this solution doesn't
work.
I thought that would be a .net class for adding printer, but I couldn't find
it.

Yes, but can you get hold of the HTML behind this functionality and see
how *it* does it?

Although adding a printer is fairly benign, there don't tend to be many
APIs for automatically installing things from a webpage, for hopefully
obvious reasons.

Damien

Damien