Adding a second row to a datagriditem?

Steve Hershoff

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to do this, or if it's even
possible.

In my datagrid's OnItemDataBound function I'd like to somehow "add" a child
row beneath one of the datagriditems (chosen via a QueryString variable) and
use it to hold a secondary datagrid. It would act as a drilldown of sorts,
showing more information not displayed in the datagriditem itself.

I know I can add this new datagrid to one of the datagriditem's existing
cells, but I can't get it to span multiple columns without shoving aside the
other columns in the datagriditem. That's where my idea of this second row
has come from. So far I'm not having any luck however.

If you know of some way I can pull this off (or a reasonable facsimile
thereof) I'd be grateful. Thanks very much!

-Steve

Kumar Reddi

you should use datalist instead.. you will have more control on the HTML.

I had the same issue in my recent project.. initially i tried with datagrids
like you are doing.. but couldnt succeed.. so went with datalist's and it
worked like a charm

Patrick.O.Ige

As kumar explained use Datalist like so
in ur ItemDataBund do
Dim mychilddl As DataList =
CType(e.Item.FindControl("idofdatalistinsidetheparentdatalist"), DataList)
and then add control
e.item.controls.Add(mychilddl)
hope that helps
Patrick

Gaurav Vaish \(www.EduJini.IN\)

In my datagrid's OnItemDataBound function I'd like to somehow "add" a
child row beneath one of the datagriditems (chosen via a QueryString
variable) and use it to hold a secondary datagrid. It would act as a
drilldown of sorts, showing more information not displayed in the
datagriditem itself.

Do not override OnItemDataBound but handle the event ItemCreated or
ItemDataBound.
ItemDataBound is raised after ItemCreated and only for non-pager items.

Note that the DataGridItem itself is a sub-class of TableRow meaning
that you are working with a Table Row indirectly.
However, keep a caution that if you directly manipulate the TableRow or
its container Table, you may lose out the functionality related to the
DataGrid... like DataBinding etc. But as what I see, that seems (or should
be) ok with you since you'd be handling it yourself.