Adding a user dynamically in Web services ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Raghu Raman, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Raghu Raman

    Raghu Raman Guest

    I've created a web service which runs thru web referrences and returns
    a dataset to the Web forms.It gets the conn.string & qry as parameters
    and produces the dataset.

    I want to restrict the users accessing the web service & i can do that
    in web.config file , if i know the users while creating the web service.

    Is it possiable to restrict the users accessing the web service (after
    it is running as dll) from the web forms with out altering the web
    service physically.

    With thanks in advance
    Raghuraman

    Raghu Raman, Jul 14, 2004

  2. If you are using Windows Authentication then you can just modify the web.config file to state that you need Windows Credentials for users accessing the web service.
    This can be done without a recompile.

    But you will have to modify the consuming client to send accross the valid credentials..

    --
    Regards,
    Saurabh Nandu

    Saurabh Nandu, Jul 14, 2004

  3. Raghu Raman

    Dale Guest

    Saving the web.config file can restart your app. This might have unexpected
    consequences. You could put the user identies into an application scope
    collection upon Session_Start and build custom security handlers that check
    for a flag or existence in a collection.

    Dale

    Dale, Jul 15, 2004