    saving a shortcut icon to the users desktop?

    Thanks

    Nik

    Nik, Nov 15, 2003

  2. "Nik" wrote on 15/11/2003:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Is there anyway of letting the user click on a link or image, and
    > saving a shortcut icon to the users desktop?

    In short, no.

    There is no function for this in any version of JavaScript, and
    methods for adding to a browser's 'Favourites' or 'Links' list is
    specific to each browser.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    M.Winter@[no-spam]blueyonder.co.uk (remove [no-spam] to reply)

    Michael Winter, Nov 15, 2003

  3. Nik

    Evertjan. Guest

    Nik wrote on 15 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > Is there anyway of letting the user click on a link or image, and
    > saving a shortcut icon to the users desktop?

    This would be a security breach. You would make a file on the clients
    machine!

    Tell the user to drag the address icon to the desktop.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 15, 2003
  4. Nik wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Is there anyway of letting the user click on a link or image, and
    > saving a shortcut icon to the users desktop?

    Why would I want to allow you to clutter my desktop?
    --
    Don't you hate when your hand falls asleep and you know it will be up
    all night.

    Andrew DeFaria, Nov 15, 2003