Adding AJAX to an existing Web Application

Jason

Hello,

I am trying to utilitze the AJAX Control toolkit in my asp.net project. I
have added a reference to AjaxControlToolkit.dll, and in my page, added
these lines of code:

<ajaxToolkit:ToolkitScriptManager runat="Server"
EnableScriptGlobalization="true" EnableScriptLocalization="true"
ID="ScriptManager1" />

<asp:TextBox runat="server" ID="txtFromDate" />

<asp:ImageButton runat="Server" ID="Image1" ImageUrl="/images/calendar.png"
AlternateText="Click to show calendar" /><br />

<ajaxToolkit:CalendarExtender ID="calendarButtonExtender" runat="server"
TargetControlID="txtFrom" PopupButtonID="Image1" />

Everything builds fine, but when I actually run the page I get the error:

to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0012: The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is
defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to
assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

I then added a reference to System.Web.Extensions, but I get the same error
when I refresh the page. Am I adding this reference the wrong way?

Also, and this may be related, I don't see the AJAX toolkit in my toolbox.
What am I not doing?

Thanks-

Jason

Mike Placentra II

[...]

You have to add the AJAX toolkit to your toolbox manually from the
context menu | 'choose items...'.

Try going to the 'Website' menu | 'Add Reference...' | 'Browse' tab
and adding it that way.

-Michael Placentra II

Mike Placentra II

Try going to the 'Website' menu | 'Add Reference...' | 'Browse' tab
and adding it that way.

By the second part I meant to add a reference to the assembly, not
still to the toolbox.

-Michael Placentra II

Jason

Thanks Michael,

I was able to add the controls to the toolbox using your suggestion, as for
the second issue, the problem still occurred.

After removing and re-adding the reference usng your suggestion, it works
like it should.

Thanks Michael!

Jason

Jason

Darn, spoke too soon.

I was able to successfully add the controls to the toolbox, add the assembly
reference to the project, and register the assembly just fine in my .aspx
with this code:

<%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit"
Namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" TagPrefix="ajaxToolkit" %>

But after adding this line of code:

<ajaxToolkit:ToolkitScriptManager runat="Server" ID="ScriptManager1" />

I see a JavaScript error that says "'Sys' is undefined".

Is there something else I am not including. This is a web application
project, not a website project, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Jason

Mike Placentra II

I don't have any trouble using the <ajax:ScriptManager /> control
instead of <ajaxToolkit:ToolkitScriptManager /> with AJAX Toolkit. All
of the AJAX Toolkit controls work with the regular one for me. I
didn't realize there was an <ajaxToolkit:ToolkitScriptManager />.

Try the <ajax:ScriptManager /> instead (or it might be a different XML
namespace for you depending on how you have it configured).

-Michael Placentra II

Jason

I fixed it by creating an empty "Ajax-enabled Web Application" project, then
seeing what sections the web.config file in that project had that mine
didn't.

I copied in the missing sections from the new project's web.config into my
project's web.config and that did the trick!

Thanks again for your help,

Jason

Kbalz

I fixed it by creating an empty "Ajax-enabled Web Application" project, then
seeing what sections the web.config file in that project had that mine
didn't.

I copied in the missing sections from the new project's web.config into my
project's web.config and that did the trick!

Thanks again for your help,

Jason

I had to do the same thing for adding ajax to my first project a few
weeks ago!!