Adding attributes in Active Directory

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by itsPiyush, Mar 15, 2007.

  1. itsPiyush

    itsPiyush Guest

    I am adding new attributes in Active Directory and adding those
    attributes in User class.
    Now when I am adding this attributes in Web.config file in
    <membership> tag it is not getting reflected.

    For eg I added an attribute passwordQuestion in Active Directory
    schema. And then I added that attribute in User class.
    Now in web.config file I am using this attributes but its not
    reflecting.

    <system.web>

    <membership defaultProvider="MyADMembershipProvider" >
    <providers>
    <add name="MyADMembershipProvider"
    type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider,

    System.Web,Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    connectionStringName="TestDomain" connectionUsername="testdmn
    \Administrator"
    connectionPassword="passwd12"
    attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName"
    requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"
    enablePasswordReset="true"
    attributeMapPasswordAnswer="passwordQuestion"
    attributeMapPasswordQuestion="PasswordAnswer"
    attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerCount="FailedPassAnsCnt"
    attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerTime="FailedPassAnsTime"

    attributeMapFailedPassswordAnswerLockoutTime="FailedPassAnsLockTime"/>
    </providers>
    </membership>
    </system.web>

    It is giving me error as passwordQuestion is not an attribute of the
    user Class

    itsPiyush, Mar 15, 2007

  2. itsPiyush

    Joe Kaplan Guest

    Can you add that data to AD with a lower level tool like ADSI Edit or
    Ldp.exe? Perhaps you didn't do the schema extensions correctly. Testing
    this with a lower level "pure LDAP" client is a good initial test.

    Joe K.

    http://www.directoryprogramming.net

    Joe Kaplan, Mar 16, 2007

  3. itsPiyush

    itsPiyush Guest

    On Mar 16, 11:11 am, "Joe Kaplan"
    <> wrote:
    > Can you add that data to AD with a lower level tool like ADSI Edit or
    > Ldp.exe? Perhaps you didn't do the schema extensions correctly. Testing
    > this with a lower level "pure LDAP" client is a good initial test.
    >
    > Joe K.

    > Co-author of "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services Programming"http://www.directoryprogramming.net
    > --"itsPiyush" <> wrote in message

    > >I am adding new attributes in Active Directory and adding those
    > > attributes in User class.
    > > Now when I am adding this attributes in Web.config file in
    > > <membership> tag it is not getting reflected.

    > > For eg I added an attribute passwordQuestion in Active Directory
    > > schema. And then I added that attribute in User class.
    > > Now in web.config file I am using this attributes but its not
    > > reflecting.

    > > <system.web>

    > > <membership defaultProvider="MyADMembershipProvider" >
    > > <providers>
    > > <add name="MyADMembershipProvider"
    > > type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider,

    > > System.Web,Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,
    > > PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    > > connectionStringName="TestDomain" connectionUsername="testdmn
    > > \Administrator"
    > > connectionPassword="passwd12"
    > > attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName"
    > > requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"
    > > enablePasswordReset="true"
    > > attributeMapPasswordAnswer="passwordQuestion"
    > > attributeMapPasswordQuestion="PasswordAnswer"
    > > attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerCount="FailedPassAnsCnt"
    > > attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerTime="FailedPassAnsTime"

    > > attributeMapFailedPassswordAnswerLockoutTime="FailedPassAnsLockTime"/>
    > > </providers>
    > > </membership>
    > > </system.web>

    > > It is giving me error as passwordQuestion is not an attribute of the
    > > user Class- Hide quoted text -

    Can you tell in detail I have added the new attributes through
    Microsoft Management Console.

    itsPiyush, Mar 16, 2007
  4. itsPiyush

    Joe Kaplan Guest

    You just need to open up ADSI Edit and locate the object you want to modify.
    On the properties tab, you will see the list of attributes for that object
    and you can modify them there if you have permissions. If the attributes do
    not appear, your schema modification was not correct.

    Joe Kaplan, Mar 16, 2007