    i hope my question is a bit clear as i am very unfamiliar with websites
    and do not know a bit of html
    greetings

    mukuta, Oct 24, 2003

  2. mukuta

    Richard Guest

    mukuta wrote:

    > Hello i bought a domain
    > and i am creating a website (on paper )
    > there is a part with music the file that i compressed to mp3 is
    > 20 mb
    > big or small ;-)
    > Now my question ; is it possible that you hear the file in
    > streaming
    > audio or better formuled :
    > I do not want that people have to first download the music . like
    > you
    > have to with a flash game (because it would take to much time )
    > If people are on the specific part on the site with music ,They
    > here a
    > part of that song as long as they stay there (the song is 29 minutes)
    > When they jump home it has to stop
    > i hope my question is a bit clear as i am very unfamiliar with
    > websites
    > and do not know a bit of html
    > greetings

    Forget it. With a file size that big embedded into the site, the page will
    take forever to load.
    I for one do not want to hang around on a site that takes to long to load,
    and surely as hell ain't gonna stick around for no damn 29 minutes for a
    song.
    If anything, put in a link to the file stating the size and let the user
    decide if they want to hear it or not.
    If some poor soul is on 28k dialup, he's never gonna see the site, or hear
    the song.
    Oh and do consider the burden you're putting on the servers.

    Richard, Oct 24, 2003

  3. mukuta

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
    > mukuta wrote:
    >
    > > Hello i bought a domain
    > > and i am creating a website (on paper )
    > > there is a part with music the file that i compressed to mp3 is
    > > 20 mb
    > > big or small ;-)
    > > Now my question ; is it possible that you hear the file in
    > > streaming
    > > audio or better formuled :
    > > I do not want that people have to first download the music . like
    > > you
    > > have to with a flash game (because it would take to much time )
    > > If people are on the specific part on the site with music ,They
    > > here a
    > > part of that song as long as they stay there (the song is 29 minutes)
    > > When they jump home it has to stop
    > > i hope my question is a bit clear as i am very unfamiliar with
    > > websites
    > > and do not know a bit of html
    > > greetings

    > Forget it. With a file size that big embedded into the site, the page will
    > take forever to load.

    Did you not see the part of the question where the OP mentions "streaming"?
    Of course he doesn't want you to download it. That's why the question is
    here.

    OP:

    A google for "streaming audio" reveals three and a half million hits. The
    very first is a tutorial where

    <quote>
    We'll explain the process of running a streaming server and a source
    stream (your MP3 audio) from the same Windows computer
    </quote>

    That might be a start.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 24, 2003
  4. mukuta

    Spartanicus Guest

    rf wrote:

    >OP:
    >
    >A google for "streaming audio" reveals three and a half million hits. The
    >very first is a tutorial where
    >
    ><quote>
    >We'll explain the process of running a streaming server and a source
    >stream (your MP3 audio) from the same Windows computer
    ></quote>
    >
    >That might be a start.

    That would be the wrong starting point tho, try this:
    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Oct 24, 2003
  5. mukuta

    rf Guest

    "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > >OP:
    > >
    > >A google for "streaming audio" reveals three and a half million hits. The
    > >very first is a tutorial where
    > >
    > ><quote>
    > >We'll explain the process of running a streaming server and a source
    > >stream (your MP3 audio) from the same Windows computer
    > ></quote>
    > >
    > >That might be a start.

    > That would be the wrong starting point tho, try this:
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    Thanks for correcting me :) I know nothing at all about streaming audio, or
    streaming anything else for that matter.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 24, 2003
  6. mukuta

    Richard Guest

    rf wrote:

    > "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > ie...
    >> rf wrote:

    >> >OP:
    >> >
    >> >A google for "streaming audio" reveals three and a half million hits.

    >> The
    >> >very first is a tutorial where
    >> >
    >> ><quote>
    >> >We'll explain the process of running a streaming server and a source
    >> >stream (your MP3 audio) from the same Windows computer
    >> ></quote>
    >> >
    >> >That might be a start.

    >> That would be the wrong starting point tho, try this:
    >> http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    > Thanks for correcting me :) I know nothing at all about streaming
    > audio, or
    > streaming anything else for that matter.

    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Yet you found it necessary to badger me to make your day.
    Unless the site has some means of turning on and off the music, it is not a
    good idea.
    Noting the fact the OP did state the music was 29 minutes long.
    Clicking on a page outside of that streamed page, you then come back later
    and are inundated with having to listen to it again from the beginning?
    Not a good idea.

    Richard, Oct 24, 2003
  7. mukuta

    > rf wrote:
    >

    > > "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > > ie...

    > >> The

    > >> That would be the wrong starting point tho, try this:
    > >> http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    > > Thanks for correcting me :) I know nothing at all about streaming
    > > audio, or
    > > streaming anything else for that matter.

    > > Cheers
    > > Richard.

    > Yet you found it necessary to badger me to make your day.

    Oh, I see. I point out to you that you have mis-read the OP's question and I
    am badgering.

    What then is this?
    <quote>
    Forget it. With a file size that big embedded into the site, the page will
    take forever to load.
    I for one do not want to hang around on a site that takes to long to load,
    and surely as hell ain't gonna stick around for no damn 29 minutes for a
    song.
    If anything, put in a link to the file stating the size and let the user
    decide if they want to hear it or not.
    If some poor soul is on 28k dialup, he's never gonna see the site, or hear
    the song.
    Oh and do consider the burden you're putting on the servers.
    </quote>

    Pretty bloody rude I think, especially when the OP said

    <quote>
    is it possible that you hear the file in streaming audio
    </quote>

    and, more importantly

    <quote>
    I do not want that people have to first download the music
    </quote>

    Yes, the OP *specifically* stated that the music is *not* to be download and
    yet the entire thrust of your post was to berate the OP for wanting you do
    download the music. There is an oxymoron in here somewhere I'm sure :)

    And the rest of your current post:

    > Unless the site has some means of turning on and off the music, it is not

    > good idea.
    > Noting the fact the OP did state the music was 29 minutes long.
    > Clicking on a page outside of that streamed page, you then come back later
    > and are inundated with having to listen to it again from the beginning?
    > Not a good idea.

    What has this to do with the OP's question, that of how to stream audio?
    There may be a very *good* reason for the OP to stream the audio yet you are
    just saying "not a good idea".

    This is unenet and it is self-correcting. Say something wrong and somebody,
    somewhere, will call you to task. Get used to it.

    At least I have the grace to thank someone when they point out one of my
    errors, which are far fewer than the ones I see you making.

    How is that for badgering? Am I getting better at it?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 25, 2003
  8. mukuta

    Richard Guest

    I personally detest the fact that someone insists I must listen to music
    while visiting their site.
    Which is one of the reasons why I turn my sound off unless I want to use it.

    Richard, Oct 25, 2003