adding music

mukuta

Hello i bought a domain
and i am creating a website (on paper )
there is a part with music the file that i compressed to mp3 is 20 mb
big or small ;-)
Now my question ; is it possible that you hear the file in streaming
audio or better formuled :
I do not want that people have to first download the music . like you
have to with a flash game (because it would take to much time )
If people are on the specific part on the site with music ,They here a
part of that song as long as they stay there (the song is 29 minutes)
When they jump home it has to stop
i hope my question is a bit clear as i am very unfamiliar with websites
and do not know a bit of html
greetings

Richard

mukuta said:
[...]

Forget it. With a file size that big embedded into the site, the page will
take forever to load.
I for one do not want to hang around on a site that takes to long to load,
and surely as hell ain't gonna stick around for no damn 29 minutes for a
song.
If anything, put in a link to the file stating the size and let the user
decide if they want to hear it or not.
If some poor soul is on 28k dialup, he's never gonna see the site, or hear
the song.
Oh and do consider the burden you're putting on the servers.

rf

Richard said:
Forget it. With a file size that big embedded into the site, the page will
take forever to load.

Did you not see the part of the question where the OP mentions "streaming"?
Of course he doesn't want you to download it. That's why the question is
here.

OP:

A google for "streaming audio" reveals three and a half million hits. The
very first is a tutorial where

<quote>
We'll explain the process of running a streaming server and a source
stream (your MP3 audio) from the same Windows computer
</quote>

That might be a start.

Cheers
Richard.

Richard

rf wrote:

Thanks for correcting me :) I know nothing at all about streaming
audio, or
streaming anything else for that matter.
Cheers
Richard.

Yet you found it necessary to badger me to make your day.
Unless the site has some means of turning on and off the music, it is not a
good idea.
Noting the fact the OP did state the music was 29 minutes long.
Clicking on a page outside of that streamed page, you then come back later
and are inundated with having to listen to it again from the beginning?
Not a good idea.

rf

Richard said:
rf wrote:

Yet you found it necessary to badger me to make your day.

Oh, I see. I point out to you that you have mis-read the OP's question and I
am badgering.

What then is this?
<quote>
Forget it. With a file size that big embedded into the site, the page will
take forever to load.
I for one do not want to hang around on a site that takes to long to load,
and surely as hell ain't gonna stick around for no damn 29 minutes for a
song.
If anything, put in a link to the file stating the size and let the user
decide if they want to hear it or not.
If some poor soul is on 28k dialup, he's never gonna see the site, or hear
the song.
Oh and do consider the burden you're putting on the servers.
</quote>

Pretty bloody rude I think, especially when the OP said

<quote>
is it possible that you hear the file in streaming audio
</quote>

and, more importantly

<quote>
I do not want that people have to first download the music
</quote>

Yes, the OP *specifically* stated that the music is *not* to be download and
yet the entire thrust of your post was to berate the OP for wanting you do
download the music. There is an oxymoron in here somewhere I'm sure :)

And the rest of your current post:
Unless the site has some means of turning on and off the music, it is not a
good idea.
Noting the fact the OP did state the music was 29 minutes long.
Clicking on a page outside of that streamed page, you then come back later
and are inundated with having to listen to it again from the beginning?
Not a good idea.

What has this to do with the OP's question, that of how to stream audio?
There may be a very *good* reason for the OP to stream the audio yet you are
just saying "not a good idea".

This is unenet and it is self-correcting. Say something wrong and somebody,
somewhere, will call you to task. Get used to it.

At least I have the grace to thank someone when they point out one of my
errors, which are far fewer than the ones I see you making.

How is that for badgering? Am I getting better at it?

Cheers
Richard.

Richard

I personally detest the fact that someone insists I must listen to music
while visiting their site.
Which is one of the reasons why I turn my sound off unless I want to use it.