adding other search engines to google's free sitesearch

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Troy Piggins, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    First off, I am not sure how acceptable/common it is to do this.
    Secondly, I know little html - just enough to be dangerous :-/

    I got a copy of google's free site search code so I can have google
    search form on my personal home page (still under construction).

    Then I thought of other reference type websites/search sites I use like
    dictionary.reference.com, wikipedia, white pages and so on. I thought
    it would be handy to have a text input box and search button like on the
    basic google one, but have additional radio buttons below that
    determined which facility to use.

    eg - click on a "google" radio button (which would be the default) to
    use the string in the input box as web search, have a "dictionary" radio
    button to check spelling of the text in box and so on...

    Not sure how to go about that next step. I added a radio button like
    below, but I do not know enough about html/forms to get any further. I
    think I need to somehow change the "action" in the form depending on the
    radio button, but how to do that?

    <form method=get action=http://www.google.com.au/search name="search_form">
    <input type=text name=q size=20 maxlength=255 value="">
    <input type=submit value="Search"><br>
    <label for="g"><input type="radio" name="db" value="*" id="g" checked>
    <label for="d"><input type="radio" name="db" value="*" id="d">
    </form>

    Thanks for any help on the above.

    --
    Troy Piggins
    Ubuntu 5.10 pkgs : kernel 2.6.12-9-386, postfix 2.2.4, procmail 3.22

    Troy Piggins, Jan 31, 2006