adding readline library problems

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Matthias Kievernagel, Oct 16, 2010.

  1. Hello group,

    Tried this in gnu.utils.help but got no answer.
    So maybe someone knowledgeable in the gnu readline library
    in comp.lang.c can help me out (or point me to a more appropriate
    group).

    I am trying to add readline to a program.
    Three problems so far:
    - Prompting and Input are two very different parts of the program.
    No chance here I guess with readline?
    It needs to know the prompt even with 'rl_already_prompted', correct?
    - Can the history cope with changing prompt?
    Haven't tried this yet, but searched and found nothing
    in the documentation (info).
    - TAB expansion for files is not useful in the program.
    So I switched it off with: 'rl_bind_key('\t', rl_insert);'
    Now you can insert verbatim TAB in the input.
    This results in erroneous line display when using history.
    Is this a known problem? workaround?

    Anyone here can help me with these?
    Thank you for any hints.

    Matthias Kievernagel Software
    development
    mkiever/at/web/dot/de
    http://mkiever.home.tlink.de
    Matthias Kievernagel, Oct 16, 2010

  2. Matthias Kievernagel

    Seebs Guest

    On 2010-10-16, Matthias Kievernagel <> wrote:
    > Tried this in gnu.utils.help but got no answer.
    > So maybe someone knowledgeable in the gnu readline library
    > in comp.lang.c can help me out (or point me to a more appropriate
    > group).

    I don't know the gnu.* hierarchy well enough, but I would think that
    would be more useful. My experience with readline is only at the level
    of being annoyed by build problems involving programs depending on
    it when cross-compiling.

    -s
    Seebs, Oct 16, 2010

  3. Matthias Kievernagel <> wrote:
    > Tried this in gnu.utils.help but got no answer.
    > So maybe someone knowledgeable in the gnu readline library
    > in comp.lang.c can help me out (or point me to a more appropriate
    > group).

    Sorry, can't help you with your questions (and it would be
    rather off-topic for clc anyway;-) but I would guess the best
    group to ask in (given that no-one on the GNU group is res-
    ponding) is comp.unix.programmer. Chances are that at least
    a certain number of regulars over there have been using the
    readline library and topicality is bit more relaxed also.

    Regards, Jens
    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___
    Jens Thoms Toerring, Oct 16, 2010
  4. Jens Thoms Toerring <> wrote:
    > Matthias Kievernagel <> wrote:
    >> Tried this in gnu.utils.help but got no answer.
    >> So maybe someone knowledgeable in the gnu readline library
    >> in comp.lang.c can help me out (or point me to a more appropriate
    >> group).

    > Sorry, can't help you with your questions (and it would be
    > rather off-topic for clc anyway;-) but I would guess the best
    > group to ask in (given that no-one on the GNU group is res-
    > ponding) is comp.unix.programmer. Chances are that at least
    > a certain number of regulars over there have been using the
    > readline library and topicality is bit more relaxed also.
    >
    > Regards, Jens

    Sorry for OT, thought comp.lang.c covers programming also.
    (not easy to find an appropriate group :-/ )
    Thanks and I'll try comp.unix.programmer then.
    Matthias Kievernagel, Oct 16, 2010