Adding semantic Information to HTML-Elementes

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Johann Höchtl, Jan 18, 2008.

  1. Hello!

    How can a plug in parse additional information in a web page? For
    example there is a telephone number embeded. The Skype plugin tries to
    guess, or even better, analyses the received (x)html for

    <!-- sphoneid telnr="+15551234456" fileas="John Smith" -->(555) 1234
    456<!-- sphoneid -->

    This is fine for a single item. How would I annotate compound elements?

    Two ideas:

    * A CSS-class to parse for
    * a custom XML tag (for xhtml)

    I do not know wheather the second is actually possible. Can I
    intermangle xhtml with another namespace for successfulf rendering in a
    browser?

    Regards, Johann

    Johann Höchtl, Jan 18, 2008

    http://www.microformats.org

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 19 days, 3:16.]

    Ham vs Bacon vs Pork
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/01/17/pork-etc/

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 18, 2008

  3. Johann Höchtl wrote:
    > * A CSS-class to parse for

    There's no such thing. HTML has classes. CSS can use class selectors to
    match them.

    See http://microformats.org/ for examples.

    > * a custom XML tag (for xhtml)
    >
    > I do not know wheather the second is actually possible. Can I
    > intermangle xhtml with another namespace for successfulf rendering in a
    > browser?

    Yes, so long as the browser supports XHTML - you can't do it while
    conforming to Appendix C. This effectively means you can kiss goodbye to
    support from Internet Explorer (at least upto version 7).

    --
    David Dorward
    http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Jan 18, 2008
  4. Johann Höchtl

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 18 Jan, 15:53, Johann Höchtl <> wrote:

    > How can a plug in parse additional information in a web page?

    That would depend on how the addiitional metadata is embedded.
    Different ways of embedding make it difficult / impossible / or
    usually simply not worth bothering.

    Standard ways of embedding: look at RDFa

    Things to embed: FOAF, Dublin Core

    An interesting metadata extractor: PigggyBank extension for FireFox

    Andy Dingley, Jan 18, 2008
  5. David Dorward wrote:
    > Johann Höchtl wrote:
    >
    >> * a custom XML tag (for xhtml)

    > Yes, so long as the browser supports XHTML - you can't do it while
    > conforming to Appendix C.

    Forget appendix C -- you can't do it while validating to the XHTML DTD at
    all. You'd have to write your own DTD to validate against.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 19 days, 22:14.]

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 19, 2008
  6. Johann Höchtl wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > How can a plug in parse additional information in a web page? For
    > example there is a telephone number embeded. The Skype plugin tries to
    > guess, or even better, analyses the received (x)html for
    >
    > <!-- sphoneid telnr="+15551234456" fileas="John Smith" -->(555) 1234
    > 456<!-- sphoneid -->

    Thanks for the replies, especially http://www.microformats.org/ is of
    great help.

    Regards, Johann