adding some oil into the flames ;-)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bernhard Sturm, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Bernhard Sturm, Jan 26, 2005

  2. On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:58:27 +0100, Bernhard Sturm <>
    wrote:

    > Richard,

    Is this RtSs e-mail box now? I thought I logged on to a newsgroup in usenet :-?

    > that would be something for you (works with JS off, and can be navigated with
    > tab)

    Sounds like something for me too, you know :-|

    > http://www.projectseven.com/products/designpacks/index.htm

    Althoug I like the general design, I think it's a pitty they didn't emulate the
    javascript fly-out menu's with some CSS for decent, modern, mainstream graphical
    browsers of which the user has switched off the javascript functionality. Now
    one gets all the menu items at once and that is not necessary. As I said, pitty.

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > Sounds like something for me too, you know :-|

    I knew.. and for some others in the group as well... so I threw out the
    bait :)

    >> http://www.projectseven.com/products/designpacks/index.htm
    >>

    > Althoug I like the general design, I think it's a pitty they didn't
    > emulate the javascript fly-out menu's with some CSS for decent, modern,
    > mainstream graphical browsers of which the user has switched off the
    > javascript functionality. Now one gets all the menu items at once and
    > that is not necessary. As I said, pitty.

    I used to rely heavily on P7 menu solutions, but they are sort of
    obsolete now... I think it's just too much of 'bells and whistles', a
    zooming menu: why should this be of any good? Didn't Microsoft try to
    introduce this menu style a couple of years ago with Office2000? I think
    it was never accepted by the users.

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Bernhard Sturm

    Tonnie Guest

    Tonnie, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Tonnie wrote:
    > Why starting it all over again?
    >
    > With this kind of postings, you are on the same long way from home as
    > Richard is.

    Having a good menu solution is not only Richards problem. There are
    others (including me) who like to know if there is something out there
    worth to be looked at.
    So sorry for stealing your time.

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 26, 2005
  6. In article <41f804ff$1_1@127.0.0.1>, Bernhard Sturm
    () dropped a +5 bundle of words...

    > Richard, that would be something for you (works with JS off, and can be
    > navigated with tab)
    >
    > http://www.projectseven.com/products/designpacks/index.htm

    You're going to regret encouraging him. I guarantee it.

    --
    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30
    Starshine Moonbeam, Jan 27, 2005
  7. Starshine Moonbeam wrote:

    >>http://www.projectseven.com/products/designpacks/index.htm
    >>

    > You're going to regret encouraging him. I guarantee it.

    I hope not, as the method I pointed to is not for free and needs DW. I
    think both will drive hime away :)

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 27, 2005
  8. Bernhard Sturm

    kchayka Guest

    Bernhard Sturm wrote:

    > works with JS off, and can be navigated with tab
    >
    > http://www.projectseven.com/products/designpacks/index.htm

    You are mistaken if you think navigating all submenus using the tab key
    is A Good Thing.

    What if I want to get to the "Books" menu item on that page? Do you
    think I'd enjoy tabbing through about 50 other menu items first?

    The answer is: no

    Likewise with JS off, having a site map on every page only makes
    navigating more cumbersome, not easier.

    kchayka, Jan 27, 2005
  9. kchayka wrote:
    > You are mistaken if you think navigating all submenus using the tab key
    > is A Good Thing.

    sorry.. that's just how this menu can be used, too. If you don't have a
    point-and-click device you are happy with all the aid you can get. At
    least it seems to be possible (tried it with JS off, and it worked in my
    case).

    > What if I want to get to the "Books" menu item on that page? Do you
    > think I'd enjoy tabbing through about 50 other menu items first?

    At least you can. I haven't designed the menu, and I wouldn't call it a
    beauty, but if someone is looking for this sort of menu: it seems to me
    valid alternative.

    > Likewise with JS off, having a site map on every page only makes
    > navigating more cumbersome, not easier.

    open any site once in Lynx, and you will see, that many of the menus are
    just expanded. that's okay for text browser.

    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 27, 2005
  10. Bernhard Sturm

    kchayka Guest

    Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    > kchayka wrote:
    >> You are mistaken if you think navigating all submenus using the tab key
    >> is A Good Thing.

    > open any site once in Lynx, and you will see, that many of the menus are
    > just expanded. that's okay for text browser.

    I can tell that you are a mouse user. If you were a keyboard user, you'd
    probably understand the issues better.

    kchayka, Jan 27, 2005
  11. kchayka wrote:
    > Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    >
    > I can tell that you are a mouse user. If you were a keyboard user, you'd
    > probably understand the issues better.

    I am a lynx user. Does that help a bit?

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 27, 2005
  12. Bernhard Sturm

    kchayka Guest

    Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    > kchayka wrote:
    >> Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    >>
    >> I can tell that you are a mouse user. If you were a keyboard user, you'd
    >> probably understand the issues better.

    > I am a lynx user. Does that help a bit?

    Well then your responses surprise me a lot. Or do you like trudging
    through a long list of links on every page? I find it quite tedious,
    myself. And I can't imagine someone using a screen reader would want to
    have them all read off on every page, either.

    If you want to show a big site map, it's better to provide a link to a
    separate site map page.

    kchayka, Jan 27, 2005
  13. Bernhard Sturm

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Jan 27, 2005
  14. kchayka wrote:

    > If you want to show a big site map, it's better to provide a link to a
    > separate site map page.

    Oh I see you haven't visited the page we are talking about with lynx?
    then I suggest you do that once. You will hardly see the long navigation
    list, only if you ask for it. That's why I wouldn't call it just a *bad*
    solution.
    They have solved this problem almost in the way you suggested, or in a
    very similar way as I described the invisible navigation hack here:

    http://www.daszeichen.ch/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=41

    ;-)

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch