adding some oil into the flames ;-)

Barbara de Zoete

Is this RtSs e-mail box now? I thought I logged on to a newsgroup in usenet :-?
that would be something for you (works with JS off, and can be navigated with
tab)

Sounds like something for me too, you know :-|

Althoug I like the general design, I think it's a pitty they didn't emulate the
javascript fly-out menu's with some CSS for decent, modern, mainstream graphical
browsers of which the user has switched off the javascript functionality. Now
one gets all the menu items at once and that is not necessary. As I said, pitty.

Bernhard Sturm

Barbara said:
Sounds like something for me too, you know :-|

I knew.. and for some others in the group as well... so I threw out the
bait :)
Althoug I like the general design, I think it's a pitty they didn't
emulate the javascript fly-out menu's with some CSS for decent, modern,
mainstream graphical browsers of which the user has switched off the
javascript functionality. Now one gets all the menu items at once and
that is not necessary. As I said, pitty.

I used to rely heavily on P7 menu solutions, but they are sort of
obsolete now... I think it's just too much of 'bells and whistles', a
zooming menu: why should this be of any good? Didn't Microsoft try to
introduce this menu style a couple of years ago with Office2000? I think
it was never accepted by the users.

Tonnie

Why starting it all over again?

With this kind of postings, you are on the same long way from home as
Richard is.

Richard will be glad to have found a companion for the long road to
travel.....

Bernhard Sturm

Tonnie said:
Why starting it all over again?

With this kind of postings, you are on the same long way from home as
Richard is.

Having a good menu solution is not only Richards problem. There are
others (including me) who like to know if there is something out there
worth to be looked at.
So sorry for stealing your time.

Bernhard Sturm

Starshine said:
You're going to regret encouraging him. I guarantee it.

I hope not, as the method I pointed to is not for free and needs DW. I
think both will drive hime away :)

kchayka

Bernhard said:
works with JS off, and can be navigated with tab

http://www.projectseven.com/products/designpacks/index.htm

You are mistaken if you think navigating all submenus using the tab key
is A Good Thing.

What if I want to get to the "Books" menu item on that page? Do you
think I'd enjoy tabbing through about 50 other menu items first?

The answer is: no

Likewise with JS off, having a site map on every page only makes
navigating more cumbersome, not easier.

Bernhard Sturm

kchayka said:
You are mistaken if you think navigating all submenus using the tab key
is A Good Thing.

sorry.. that's just how this menu can be used, too. If you don't have a
point-and-click device you are happy with all the aid you can get. At
least it seems to be possible (tried it with JS off, and it worked in my
case).
What if I want to get to the "Books" menu item on that page? Do you
think I'd enjoy tabbing through about 50 other menu items first?

At least you can. I haven't designed the menu, and I wouldn't call it a
beauty, but if someone is looking for this sort of menu: it seems to me
valid alternative.
Likewise with JS off, having a site map on every page only makes
navigating more cumbersome, not easier.

open any site once in Lynx, and you will see, that many of the menus are
just expanded. that's okay for text browser.

cheers
bernhard

kchayka

Bernhard said:
open any site once in Lynx, and you will see, that many of the menus are
just expanded. that's okay for text browser.

I can tell that you are a mouse user. If you were a keyboard user, you'd
probably understand the issues better.

Bernhard Sturm

kchayka said:
Bernhard Sturm wrote:

I can tell that you are a mouse user. If you were a keyboard user, you'd
probably understand the issues better.

I am a lynx user. Does that help a bit?

kchayka

Bernhard said:
I am a lynx user. Does that help a bit?

Well then your responses surprise me a lot. Or do you like trudging
through a long list of links on every page? I find it quite tedious,
myself. And I can't imagine someone using a screen reader would want to
have them all read off on every page, either.

If you want to show a big site map, it's better to provide a link to a
separate site map page.

Toby Inkster

kchayka said:
You are mistaken if you think navigating all submenus using the tab key
is A Good Thing.

Works very nicely in Opera using spacial navigation, but you have to be
quick on the fingers.

Bernhard Sturm

kchayka said:
If you want to show a big site map, it's better to provide a link to a
separate site map page.
Oh I see you haven't visited the page we are talking about with lynx?
then I suggest you do that once. You will hardly see the long navigation
list, only if you ask for it. That's why I wouldn't call it just a *bad*
solution.
They have solved this problem almost in the way you suggested, or in a
very similar way as I described the invisible navigation hack here:

http://www.daszeichen.ch/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=41

;-)