    a way to do this?

    Thanks in advance,

    Paul

    Paul Ponzelli, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Paul Ponzelli" <>
    writing in news::

    > I have a link in a Web page that causes the Email program (Outlook
    > Express)

    On your machine - my machine uses Pegasus mail.

    > to launch a new message when the user clicks on the
    > hyperlink.

    Please understand this is not always going to work. Some visitors may
    not have an email client (or it's not configured). They may have web
    mail only, or they are at an Internet Cafe, or library, or someone
    else's computer.

    > To accomplish this, I'm using an HTML tag of the form:
    >
    > <A href="mailto:">name</A>

    Wow! You're xyz.net! You know, of course, that is a real domain and
    someone owns it, although I doubt it's you. Please use example.com,
    that's what it was set up for.

    > I would like to have this tag add fixed text to both the "Subject" box
    > and the message body of the Email when the user clicks the hyperlink.

    It's not reliable - it never works in my email client, and I'm sure
    there are others that also don't work.

    > Is there a way to do this?

    Even if you did this, the user may not want to use what you suggest as a
    subject line.

    You are really better off using a server side form, and putting your
    email address on the page.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 28, 2007

  3. Paul Ponzelli

    David Segall Guest

    "Paul Ponzelli" <> wrote:

    >I have a link in a Web page that causes the Email program (Outlook Express)
    >to launch a new message when the user clicks on the hyperlink. To
    >accomplish this, I'm using an HTML tag of the form:
    >
    > <A href="mailto:">name</A>
    >
    >I would like to have this tag add fixed text to both the "Subject" box and
    >the message body of the Email when the user clicks the hyperlink. Is there
    >a way to do this?

    See <http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html> but check that it
    works in your users' browsers.

    David Segall, Sep 28, 2007
  4. While the city slept, Paul Ponzelli () feverishly typed...

    > I have a link in a Web page that causes the Email program (Outlook
    > Express)

    On your PC, yes. And on mine (at the moment) too. But not always. This will
    open the default mail client *if* the user's system is so configured and
    *if* there is a defauly mail client to open. This will not always be the
    case.

    > I would like to have this tag add fixed text to both the "Subject"
    > box and the message body of the Email when the user clicks the
    > hyperlink. Is there a way to do this?

    Yes, but it is dangerous. Some mail clients will not deliver an email with
    what it considers to be an illegal address. To all intents and purposes, it
    looks like the email has been sent from the user's point of view. However,
    it never arrives.

    Read this for more info on mailto...

    The Mythical Mailto
    http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!

    nice.guy.nige, Sep 28, 2007
  5. Many thanks to Adrienne, David and Nigel for their comments, suggestions and
    links to those two very helpful Web sites.

    Paul

    Paul Ponzelli, Sep 28, 2007