adding text with multiple hyperlinks

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ton, Mar 27, 2009.

  1. ton

    ton Guest

    Hi,

    I'm developing a website in vb2005 (DOTNET). But I have to do something
    which can't be achieved with just controls. Ok here is what I want.

    I need to understand how I can write a sentence with multiple hyperlinks
    like:

    this RULE for this PERSON

    what i want is that i can hyper link these uppercase words. And if possible:
    how can it be done in VS2005.

    Thanx

    Ton
    ton, Mar 27, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ton

    freemont Guest

    On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:26:48 +0100, ton writ:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm developing a website in vb2005 (DOTNET). But I have to do something
    > which can't be achieved with just controls. Ok here is what I want.
    >
    > I need to understand how I can write a sentence with multiple hyperlinks
    > like:
    >
    > this RULE for this PERSON
    >
    > what i want is that i can hyper link these uppercase words. And if
    > possible: how can it be done in VS2005.
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > Ton


    <p>this <a href="#">RULE</a> for this <a href="#">PERSON</a></p>

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Mar 27, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ton

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 27 Mar, 12:26, "ton" <> wrote:

    > I'm developing a website in vb2005 (DOTNET).


    No, you're developing a site _with_ VB, but your finished site will be
    _in_ HTML, because that's what the web uses and that's all that the
    user's browser gets to receive.[*]

    So this is a purely HTML problem. Read HTML references and write HTML
    to solve it.

    Then, as a later step, work on the VB that generates this HTML. But
    it's the HTML that matters and what you need to focus on.


    As freemont has already answered, the HTML looks something like this:

    <p>this <a href="#" >RULE</a> for this <a href="#" >PERSON</a></
    p>

    The <a> element to create a link is an inline element, which allows
    you to put several of them inside one overal block element (the <p>
    here). There's no restriction that makes links appear as stand-alone
    blocks, and you should beware of any tools that restrict or encourage
    you to thinking that way.


    [*] Possibly, CSS & JavaScript too, maybe even Flash - but NEVER
    server-side VB. Once your server-side code has generated the content,
    it's that content that's the crucial part, not how you did it.
    Andy Dingley, Mar 27, 2009
    #3
  4. ton

    dorayme Guest

    In article <e3ad0$49ccc751$ae831467$>,
    freemont <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:26:48 +0100, ton writ:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm developing a website in vb2005 (DOTNET). But I have to do something
    > > which can't be achieved with just controls. Ok here is what I want.
    > >
    > > I need to understand how I can write a sentence with multiple hyperlinks
    > > like:
    > >
    > > this RULE for this PERSON
    > >
    > > what i want is that i can hyper link these uppercase words. And if
    > > possible: how can it be done in VS2005.
    > >
    > > Thanx
    > >
    > > Ton

    >
    > <p>this <a href="#">RULE</a> for this <a href="#">PERSON</a></p>


    And, of course, if you have a lot of these and you need to bring them
    together, the information, having no real structure of its own, can be
    fashioned into the structure of a *table*.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 27, 2009
    #4
  5. On 2009-03-27, Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On 27 Mar, 12:26, "ton" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm developing a website in vb2005 (DOTNET).

    >
    > No, you're developing a site _with_ VB, but your finished site will be
    > _in_ HTML, because that's what the web uses and that's all that the
    > user's browser gets to receive.[*]


    It is entirely possible that the site is developed in VB. I have
    seen sites that use client-side VB and are unusable without it.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
    ===================================================================
    Author:
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Mar 27, 2009
    #5
  6. ton

    freemont Guest

    On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 07:50:58 +1100, dorayme writ:

    > In article <e3ad0$49ccc751$ae831467$>,
    > freemont <> wrote:
    >>
    >> <p>this <a href="#">RULE</a> for this <a href="#">PERSON</a></p>

    >
    > And, of course, if you have a lot of these and you need to bring them
    > together, the information, having no real structure of its own, can be
    > fashioned into the structure of a *table*.


    No way, tables are really bad! Never use tables!

    Next.
    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Mar 27, 2009
    #6
  7. ton

    dorayme Guest

    In article <60985$49cd4352$ae831467$>,
    freemont <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 07:50:58 +1100, dorayme writ:
    >
    > > In article <e3ad0$49ccc751$ae831467$>,
    > > freemont <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> <p>this <a href="#">RULE</a> for this <a href="#">PERSON</a></p>

    > >
    > > And, of course, if you have a lot of these and you need to bring them
    > > together, the information, having no real structure of its own, can be
    > > fashioned into the structure of a *table*.

    >
    > No way, tables are really bad! Never use tables!


    No, never use tables. Especially if you have, say 50 links to distribute
    to 50 different people. It does not matter if it is very convenient to
    users. Just don't do it! The priesthood has spoken.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 27, 2009
    #7
  8. ton

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 27 Mar, 21:15, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:

    >    It is entirely possible that the site is developed in VB. I have
    >    seen sites that use client-side VB and are unusable without it.


    There's no such critter as "client-side VB". Presumably you mean
    "client-side VBScript", but that's quite a different beast and more
    similar to client-side JavaScript. It's not the VB you'd be using here
    with .NET

    The same rule applies though. This is _NOT_ the language in which
    you're writing the server-side code. Working effectively needs you to
    keep both quite separate in your mind.
    Andy Dingley, Mar 28, 2009
    #8
  9. ton

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>, Ed Mullen <>
    wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <60985$49cd4352$ae831467$>,
    > > freemont <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 07:50:58 +1100, dorayme writ:
    > >>
    > >>> In article <e3ad0$49ccc751$ae831467$>,
    > >>> freemont <> wrote:
    > >>>> <p>this <a href="#">RULE</a> for this <a href="#">PERSON</a></p>
    > >>> And, of course, if you have a lot of these and you need to bring them
    > >>> together, the information, having no real structure of its own, can be
    > >>> fashioned into the structure of a *table*.
    > >> No way, tables are really bad! Never use tables!

    > >
    > > No, never use tables. Especially if you have, say 50 links to distribute
    > > to 50 different people. It does not matter if it is very convenient to
    > > users. Just don't do it! The priesthood has spoken.
    > >

    >
    > <brainwash>I'm sorry, what is a table?</brainwash>


    Ed, I am planning a small re-education camp to counter the church on
    this one. It will be in a thread I hope you don't hate as much as the
    one about paragraphs. <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 28, 2009
    #9
  10. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ed Mullen <> writing
    in news::

    ><a href="bourbon">Get more booze</a>
    >


    Think I'll join you. One before bed, Canadian and 7up over ice. Ahhh,
    that's nice.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 28, 2009
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John

    Hyperlinks and viewstate

    John, Jul 5, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    370
    David Waz...
    Jul 6, 2003
  2. Do
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,997
    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]
    Nov 23, 2003
  3. Rob Meade

    Adding hyperlinks to labels?

    Rob Meade, May 25, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    352
    Rob Meade
    May 25, 2004
  4. Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

    Plain Text With Hyperlinks

    Torbjörn Svensson Diaz, Nov 10, 2010, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,208
    Joy Beeson
    Nov 11, 2010
  5. Fred

    Creating hyperlinks from text

    Fred, Oct 11, 2003, in forum: Perl Misc
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    91
    Tad McClellan
    Oct 12, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page