    have some code so I can prove it

    I really need this and would greatly appreciate it

    Mark
    Mark Barr, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Mark Barr

    Michel Guest

    That's coherent to cheating your visitor.
    Might be revolutionary for you... but serious people wouldn't come back to
    your page
    People rather choose to bookmark and put url's in appropriate folders.
    Think about it.

    michel

    "Mark Barr" <> wrote in message
    > Can Someone please help
    >
    > I am trying to prove that it is possible for a website to automatically
    > enter itself into your favorites without your knowledge
    >
    > can anyone give me any links to any web sites that shpow how this is done

    or

    Michel, Nov 15, 2003

  3. Mark Barr

    Mark Barr Guest

    Hi Michel

    i agree and thats my point

    i am being accused of having websites in my favorites list that i know I
    have never visited

    I am trying to prove that it is possible

    I know pressing CTRL+D will bookmark a website without telling you

    is it possible to simulate that on a web page

    I really need help

    Thanks

    mark

    Mark Barr, Nov 15, 2003
  4. Mark Barr

    Wÿrm Guest

    > Hi Michel
    >
    > i agree and thats my point
    >
    > i am being accused of having websites in my favorites list that i know I
    > have never visited

    Ah, so you mean that site you __never have visited __ have bookmarked you
    automatically when you __HAVE been__ there? ;) After all that "code" must
    been somewhere, no?

    > I am trying to prove that it is possible
    >
    > I know pressing CTRL+D will bookmark a website without telling you
    >
    > is it possible to simulate that on a web page
    >
    > I really need help
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > mark

    My bet would be that it's more likely some program, trojan, or spyware in
    your system that would have "bookmarked" that place if you have mysterious
    bookmarks.
    Wÿrm, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Mark Barr

    Mark Barr Guest

    Hi WYrm

    yes I have had some pop up appear. You Know we are talking about porn sites
    here

    I have never directly visited them but have had pop up to porn sites before
    from normal web pages.

    I just need to prove it is possible for a web site to automatically add
    itself to your favorites

    any help is appreciated.

    mark

    Mark Barr, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Mark Barr wrote:

    > yes I have had some pop up appear. You Know we are talking about porn sites
    > here
    > I have never directly visited them but have had pop up to porn sites before
    > from normal web pages.

    > I just need to prove it is possible for a web site to automatically add
    > itself to your favorites

    In Microsoft Explorer anything is possible. I suggest you use a securer
    browser.

    --
    Bertilo Wennergren <> <http://www.bertilow.com>
    Bertilo Wennergren, Nov 15, 2003
  7. Mark Barr

    Michel Guest

    lol.... I'd second that.

    And, yes... I suppose it's possible.
    You know I have found, on more than one occasion, this asswiping program
    called GATOR on several computers, including my own, without any
    recollection of clicking: "YES I WANNA have that stupid croc on my pc" on
    either one of 'm.

    Spyware and addware.

    Any website appearing in my bookmarks, without me knowing about it, is damn
    well sure to end up in my untrusted list..... no matter how good it is.

    Michel, Nov 15, 2003
  8. Mark Barr wrote:

    > I just need to prove it is possible for a web site to automatically add
    > itself to your favorites

    I'm not sure that it is. Internet Explorer (and most other browsers) have
    Javascript functions that will bookmark pages, but they always pop up
    windows saying something along the lines of "Do you really want a
    bookmark? If so, where do you want it and what do you want it to be called?"

    In Internet Explorer, ActiveX may provide a loophole around the popup.

    But it is more likely that you have installed some piece of software that
    has added the bookmarks. Lots of file sharing programs do this apparently.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 15, 2003
  9. On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:59:45 -0000, "Mark Barr"
    <> wrote:

    >Can Someone please help
    >
    >I am trying to prove that it is possible for a website to automatically
    >enter itself into your favorites without your knowledge
    >
    >can anyone give me any links to any web sites that shpow how this is done or
    >have some code so I can prove it

    PC Magazine ran an article a few months ago about spyware; I don't
    know if it will answer your specific question, but it will give you a
    general idea about what kind of mischief is around. See:

    <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,977889,00.asp>

    I might also suggest that you upgrade to a more secure browser.

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu
    Nick Theodorakis, Nov 15, 2003
  10. Mark Barr

    Wÿrm Guest

    > And, yes... I suppose it's possible.
    > You know I have found, on more than one occasion, this asswiping program
    > called GATOR on several computers, including my own, without any
    > recollection of clicking: "YES I WANNA have that stupid croc on my pc" on
    > either one of 'm.
    >
    > Spyware and addware.
    >
    > Any website appearing in my bookmarks, without me knowing about it, is

    damn
    > well sure to end up in my untrusted list..... no matter how good it is.

    Gator and other spyware is installed quite often by different P2P programs
    like kazaa, imesh and such. Their lisences probably mention (very nicely
    hidden so if you do not read all text you do not see that...) they are gonna
    install some "3rd party" stuffs or something, and when you do not bother to
    read and just hit AGREE (=with that you GIVE permission for them DO such
    thing that is) and install things... Well, what else there is expected
    besides lotsa spyware in system :)

    There are some cases when gator, bonzi buddy etc kinda junk are installed
    without mention in lisence, but those cases one can complaint about that
    actually to creator of program and companies behind that particular
    spyware... Then again, complaining might not work.

    Best is not install any junk, or if you do install things, atleast DO run
    AdAware (www.lavasoft.de) and/or Spybot Seek & Destroy
    (http://security.kolla.de) and maybe also Spywareblaster
    http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html just to be sure that in
    your system no extra crap is installed
    Wÿrm, Nov 15, 2003
  11. Mark Barr

    News Guest

    Sounds to me like You are just unwilling to admit to your gal that you've
    been bashing the bishop behind her back.... I don't know of any code that
    can do this... Unless you have ticked a "don't show me this message again"
    in one of microsofts multiple magic boxes.

    Dy.

    News, Nov 15, 2003
  12. Mark Barr

    Mark Barr Guest

    Its not my girlfriend its my boss

    i have never surfed for porn at work and yet in my favorites it has links to
    porn sites

    need to prove its possible otherwise I will loose my job

    thats why I am trying to prove it

    Mark

    Mark Barr, Nov 16, 2003
  13. In article <4LTtb.23$>, Mark Barr
    says...

    > i have never surfed for porn at work and yet in my favorites it has links to
    > porn sites
    >
    > need to prove its possible otherwise I will loose my job

    But does he really think you're daft enough to bookmark porn on work's
    PC? Surely there's an argument there.

    Can you check the logs for mention of the sites in question before their
    discovery in your Favorites?

    --
    Daniel Ruscoe
    http://www.dualstone.co.uk
    Daniel Ruscoe, Nov 17, 2003
  14. Mark Barr

    rf Guest

    "Mark Barr" <> wrote in message
    > Its not my girlfriend its my boss
    >
    > i have never surfed for porn at work and yet in my favorites it has links

    > porn sites
    >
    > need to prove its possible otherwise I will loose my job
    >
    > thats why I am trying to prove it

    Dunno about your country but over here that would be a prime cause to sue
    your employer for wrongfull dismissal [1].

    Things to consider:

    Did you sign a contract that, for example, precludes you from looking at
    porn sites during your lunch break?

    The proof issue is the other way round. It is not for you to prove you never
    went there, it is your employer who has to provide proof that you did indeed
    visit those sites. The favourites list is not proof enough IMHO because it
    can be written to by viruses. If security is lax it could even be written to
    by somebody else on your local network, like your boss :) It's only a
    collection of shortcuts in a folder after all.

    Did your employer look into your cache and find cached pages from those porn
    sites?

    Can your employer provide logs from a proxy server that show you accessed
    those URLS at specific times, and not during your lunch break?

    Can your employee prove that you are the only person who is able to use that
    computer? Is it password protected so, say, the cleaner cannot use it?

    [1] Successfull wrongfull dismissal cases usually end up with the employee
    receiving a substantial monetory reward, usually something like 6 to 9
    months salary, depending on term of service.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 17, 2003
  15. Mark Barr

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "rf" <>
    writing in news:JxUtb.13744$:

    > "Mark Barr" <> wrote in message
    >> Its not my girlfriend its my boss
    >>
    >> i have never surfed for porn at work and yet in my favorites it has
    >> links to porn sites
    >>
    >> need to prove its possible otherwise I will loose my job
    >>
    >> thats why I am trying to prove it

    > Dunno about your country but over here that would be a prime cause to
    > sue your employer for wrongfull dismissal [1].
    >
    > Things to consider:
    >
    > Did you sign a contract that, for example, precludes you from looking
    > at porn sites during your lunch break?
    >
    > The proof issue is the other way round. It is not for you to prove you
    > never went there, it is your employer who has to provide proof that you
    > did indeed visit those sites. The favourites list is not proof enough
    > IMHO because it can be written to by viruses. If security is lax it
    > could even be written to by somebody else on your local network, like
    > your boss :) It's only a collection of shortcuts in a folder after
    > all.
    >
    > Did your employer look into your cache and find cached pages from those
    > porn sites?
    >
    > Can your employer provide logs from a proxy server that show you
    > accessed those URLS at specific times, and not during your lunch break?
    >
    > Can your employee prove that you are the only person who is able to use
    > that computer? Is it password protected so, say, the cleaner cannot use
    > it?
    >
    > [1] Successfull wrongfull dismissal cases usually end up with the
    > employee receiving a substantial monetory reward, usually something
    > like 6 to 9 months salary, depending on term of service.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Richard, hate to disagree with you, but it can be argued that the computer
    belongs to the employer, not the employee, and therefore, if the employer
    does not want porn, then the employer wins. IIRC, there is case law
    regarding email belonging to an employer, not the employee, thus throwing
    any issues about privacy out the window.

    OTOH, it is also the employer's responsibilty to protect the system. If
    the network is configured to let only administrators install programs, then
    problems like this do not arise. Most network admins I know do have
    systems configured that way, and only allow certain users they *know* are
    *very* careful to have installation rights.

    To the OP: If I were you I would check with the local labor board to see
    what rights, if any, you have in this matter.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Nov 17, 2003
  16. Mark Barr

    rf Guest

    "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "rf" <>
    > writing in news:JxUtb.13744$:
    >

    > > "Mark Barr" <> wrote in message
    > >> Its not my girlfriend its my boss
    > >>
    > >> i have never surfed for porn at work and yet in my favorites it has
    > >> links to porn sites
    > >>
    > >> need to prove its possible otherwise I will loose my job
    > >>
    > >> thats why I am trying to prove it

    > > Dunno about your country but over here that would be a prime cause to
    > > sue your employer for wrongfull dismissal [1].
    > >
    > > Things to consider:
    > >
    > > Did you sign a contract that, for example, precludes you from looking
    > > at porn sites during your lunch break?
    > >
    > > The proof issue is the other way round. It is not for you to prove you
    > > never went there, it is your employer who has to provide proof that you
    > > did indeed visit those sites. The favourites list is not proof enough
    > > IMHO because it can be written to by viruses. If security is lax it
    > > could even be written to by somebody else on your local network, like
    > > your boss :) It's only a collection of shortcuts in a folder after
    > > all.
    > >
    > > Did your employer look into your cache and find cached pages from those
    > > porn sites?
    > >
    > > Can your employer provide logs from a proxy server that show you
    > > accessed those URLS at specific times, and not during your lunch break?
    > >
    > > Can your employee prove that you are the only person who is able to use
    > > that computer? Is it password protected so, say, the cleaner cannot use
    > > it?
    > >
    > > [1] Successfull wrongfull dismissal cases usually end up with the
    > > employee receiving a substantial monetory reward, usually something
    > > like 6 to 9 months salary, depending on term of service.

    > Richard, hate to disagree with you, but it can be argued that the computer
    > belongs to the employer, not the employee,

    I don't think we actually do disagree. We are just looking at different
    things.
    Very true. The computer "does" belong to the employer. I never had an issue
    with that.

    > and therefore, if the employer
    > does not want porn, then the employer wins.

    Providing the employer has stated this up front, in the employment contract.
    The employer can not suddenly get cranky and retrospectively create rules.
    The employer *can* create rules for the future and require that the employer
    adhere to these rules, in the future, by signing a new employment contract.

    If such an agreement is in place (the OP can tell us) then there may be a
    case. Finding some links in a favourites folder is not strong evidence for
    the case. The employer would have to prove conclusively that the employee
    did in fact use the computer contrary to the employment contract.

    > IIRC, there is case law
    > regarding email belonging to an employer, not the employee, thus throwing
    > any issues about privacy out the window.

    Yep. I don't think privacy is the issue here. It is looking at porn sites.

    > OTOH, it is also the employer's responsibilty to protect the system. If
    > the network is configured to let only administrators install programs,

    then
    > problems like this do not arise. Most network admins I know do have
    > systems configured that way, and only allow certain users they *know* are
    > *very* careful to have installation rights.

    I think I alluded to this. If the security is so lax that somebody else can
    insert links into the favourites file of the employee then the employer has
    no case.

    The case of a virus inserting links into the favourites folder is similar.
    If the employee can show that the computer is capable of catching a virus
    then the employer has no case. If the the employer can *prove* that the
    computer is incapable of catching a virus then there may be a case.

    However, once again, finding links in the favourites folder is not very good
    evidence. What *might* be good evidence is finding some images of the people
    depicted in those sites in a folder called "mark bars private girly album"
    :)

    A further thought: I use google extensively for searching for things like
    electronic components, a pretty innocuous passtime. On several occasions I
    have clicked on a porn site by mistake, because it looks like something I
    might be searching for. If security is lax it's quite possible for said site
    to insert a favourite link.

    > To the OP: If I were you I would check with the local labor board to see
    > what rights, if any, you have in this matter.

    Yep. Additionally, over here, finding some porn or some illegal emails on a
    computer is still not grounds for dismissal. There is a very strict three
    stage procedure defined here. First the employee must be councelled. At a
    second offence the employee may be cautioned, in writing, and that caution
    entered into the employees record. Only after a third breach may the
    employee be dismissed, and the dismissal is not really for breaking the
    rules, but doing so after a formal caution has been given. It is the breach
    of that caution that is the issue.

    I think we need some more information from the OP.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 17, 2003
    Michael Bauser, Nov 17, 2003
  18. Mark Barr

    Mark Barr Guest

    Thanks for that appreciated

    they have now sent me a screen dump of my favourites folder.

    there are 15 websites of a pornographic nature in the favourites folder.

    All 15 have the same date in the modified column and the date stamp is
    within 1 minute

    this must be a case of spyware or something how could I do it in a minute

    Mark

    "Michael Bauser" <> wrote in message
    Mark Barr, Nov 17, 2003
  19. Mark Barr

    rf Guest

    "Mark Barr" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that appreciated
    >
    > they have now sent me a screen dump of my favourites folder.
    >
    > there are 15 websites of a pornographic nature in the favourites folder.
    >
    > All 15 have the same date in the modified column and the date stamp is
    > within 1 minute
    >
    > this must be a case of spyware or something how could I do it in a minute

    Yep. The usual time IIRC is seven minutes :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 17, 2003