Addition to existing interface, no new release

Marco

Hi,

We're using a mail class in our company and now I've added a new method to
the interface, the old interface didn't change so older applications are
allright.

When I tried releasing the new jar the old applications didn't work anymore.

So I can either release all other apps with this new jar or try and figure
out how to let the old apps 'believe' they're still using the old interface.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Marco

VisionSet

Marco said:
Hi,

We're using a mail class in our company and now I've added a new method to
the interface, the old interface didn't change so older applications are
allright.

When I tried releasing the new jar the old applications didn't work anymore.

So I can either release all other apps with this new jar or try and figure
out how to let the old apps 'believe' they're still using the old interface.

Is this possible?

Can the new interface not be a subinterface of the old one.

Not that I've needed to do this,
but that would seem to me to be an ideal situation to use this.

ak

dont add methods to old interface.
derive new interface from old interface.
all new methods shouid be in new interface

Marco

ak said:
dont add methods to old interface.
derive new interface from old interface.
all new methods shouid be in new interface

Marco said:

Oh I forgot to mention one thing, the class used is used over RMI so the
stubs & skels are generated.

But I think deriving should work, I'll try it.

Thanks,
Marco