Address of an object

raan

Please see the following program. I uses Windows XP/VS2003 as my
environment.

I have two classes inherited from a base class called Interfaces. I
have a class named General in which I have instantiated objects for A
and B. I have instantiated two objects ga, gb of type A and B
respectively in my main function. I wish ga and gb, in my main,
points to the same address space that a and b occupies.

My ultimate aim is to have () operator overloaded in class A and class
B so that I can call ga() and gb() (functors) from my main program.
Basically the main program will be replaced by another class and
should use the objects intantiated in General class to carry out its
functionality. Calling it as (*ga)() and (*gb)() doesn't look cool .
Hope you guys get the point, why I want it this way.

Is there anyway I can achieve this

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

class Interfaces
{
public:
Interfaces(){}
~Interfaces(){}
};

class A : public Interfaces
{
public:
A() {};
~A() {};
void afunc()
{
cout << this << endl;
cout << "a func called" << endl;
}

};

class B: public Interfaces
{
public:
B() {};
~B() {};
void bfunc()
{
cout << this << endl;
cout << "b func called" << endl;
}
};

class General
{
private:
A a;
B b;
public:
General() {cout << "A Addres " << &a << endl;
cout << "B Addres " << &b <<endl;};
~General() {};
void QueryInterface(int id, Interfaces *ptr)
{
switch(id)
{
case 1:
ptr = &a;
cout << "Ptr a "<< ptr << endl;
break;
case 2:
ptr = &b;
cout << "Ptr b "<< ptr << endl;
break;
};

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
General *g = new General;
A ga;
B gb;

cout << "Before QI ga " << &ga << endl;
cout << "Before QI gb " << &gb << endl;

g->QueryInterface(1, &ga);
g->QueryInterface(2, &gb);

cout << "After QI ga " << &ga << endl;
cout << "After QI gb " << &gb << endl;

ga.afunc();
gb.bfunc();

getchar();

return 0;

Daniel T.

raan said:
Please see the following program. I uses Windows XP/VS2003 as my
environment.

I have two classes inherited from a base class called Interfaces. I
have a class named General in which I have instantiated objects for A
and B. I have instantiated two objects ga, gb of type A and B
respectively in my main function. I wish ga and gb, in my main,
points to the same address space that a and b occupies.

Can't be done. 'ga' and 'gb' are not pointers, so you can't change what
they point to.
My ultimate aim is to have () operator overloaded in class A and class
B so that I can call ga() and gb() (functors) from my main program.
Basically the main program will be replaced by another class and
should use the objects intantiated in General class to carry out its
functionality. Calling it as (*ga)() and (*gb)() doesn't look cool .
Hope you guys get the point, why I want it this way.

You can create a wrapper for that, but frankly there is probably a
better way to do what you are trying to do:

class Interface {
public:
virtual ~Interface() { }
virtual void invoke() = 0;
};

class Wrapper {
Interface* a;
public:
Wrapper(): a( 0 ) { }
void set( Interface* i ) {
a = i;
}
void operator()() {
if ( a )
a->invoke();
}
};

class A : public Interface {
public:
void invoke() { cout << "invoke A\n"; }
};

class B : public Interface {
public:
void invoke() { cout << "invoke B\n"; }
};

int main() {
A a;
B b;
Wrapper wrap;

wrap.set( &a );
wrap();

wrap.set( &b );
wrap();

Alf P. Steinbach

* raan:
#include "stdafx.h"

This header is not standard C++.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

class Interfaces
{
public:
Interfaces(){}
~Interfaces(){}
};

This class serves no useful purpose, and in fact, you're not using it.

class A : public Interfaces
{
public:
A() {};
~A() {};
void afunc()
{
cout << this << endl;
cout << "a func called" << endl;
}

};

class B: public Interfaces
{
public:
B() {};
~B() {};
void bfunc()
{
cout << this << endl;
cout << "b func called" << endl;
}
};

These two classes have nothing in common (except the unused Interface
base class).

class General
{
private:
A a;
B b;
public:
General() {cout << "A Addres " << &a << endl;
cout << "B Addres " << &b <<endl;};
~General() {};
void QueryInterface(int id, Interfaces *ptr)
{
switch(id)
{
case 1:
ptr = &a;
cout << "Ptr a "<< ptr << endl;
break;
case 2:
ptr = &b;
cout << "Ptr b "<< ptr << endl;
break;
};

The QueryInterfaces function reports only whether you passed in 1 or 2
as argument, what's the use of that?

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])

This is not standard C++. In standard C++ use 'main'. Like

int main()