ADFS and Classic ASP

Robert Thompson

Not sure if this is the correct newsgroup but I'm looking at ADFS as a way to
provide SSO to multiple web based applications over the Internet.
Unfortunately, one of the apps was written in classic ASP and is too big to
change any time soon.

Can ADFS support classic ASP as well as .NET based applications? Are there
any special concerns or issues?

Any quick advice or URL to a whitepaper that addesses classic ASP would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe Kaplan

I suppose you could ask that here. :) I'm not sure if there is a perfect
group for ADFS yet.

ADFS has two supported methods for app integration:
Claims-aware
Windows token

Claims-aware apps are the most flexible, but you are limited not only to
..NET apps but those that use .NET 2.0+ so that won't work for you.

Windows token-integrated apps will support basically anything that runs on
IIS including classic ASP, but the app has to be designed essentially to
work with Windows security. The web server must be a domain member of the
same forest the resource ADFS server is in. If the app is designed to use
integrated Windows auth (or Basic) right now and authenticates domain users,
then this integration should not be difficult. If the app uses a custom
authentication mechanism like forms auth, then this will likely be more
tricky.

I'm not sure what the best documents to look at are for ADFS app integration
just yet. Keith Brown had a pretty decent high level overview in MSDN
magazine a while ago.

I know all the nuts and bolts and can answer all sorts of specific questions
if you post back here. We also host a forum on ADFS at
www.directoryprogramming.net, but I'm not really picky as to what discussion
forum you use.

HTH,

Joe K.

Robert Thompson

Joe,

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling there might be some issues with classic
ASP but I'll continue to research a viable solution.

--
RT