ado and xml?

js

"dlbjr" wrote in message > js,
Once the data is loaded into the recordset you can filter, sort, add,
edit, delete the data just as
in SQL.
Where are you storing data in a session or application Variable?
If needed the xml can be Serialized into a string for storing in an
application variable.
Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.Open "data.xml"

can I open a csv file instead of the defined data.xml file?
(e-mail address removed), 1, 127.0.0.1
(e-mail address removed), 2, 127.0.0.1

Bob Barrows [MVP]

js said:
"dlbjr" wrote in message > js,
Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.Open "data.xml"

can I open a csv file instead of the defined data.xml file?

(e-mail address removed), 1, 127.0.0.1
(e-mail address removed), 2, 127.0.0.1

Yes Either using FileSystemObject (fso) or ADO. Here's the ADO way:
http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC...roviders.htm#OLEDBProviderForMicrosoftJetText

See the vbscript documentation for help on using fso.
http://tinyurl.com/7rk6

Bob Barrows

Roland Hall

: Roland Hall wrote:
: >
: > So, if a read-only XML file is shared and RW XML files are separate
: > for each user, that's not an issue?
:
: Correct. I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, I use similar strategy in
: few of my apps.

Thanks Bob. (O:=

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

js

Hi dlbjr,
I can't save to data entry into the xml file:
Error: Can't save.

what permisstion do I need to set to file?

dlbjr

Does the xml file exits and you are rewriting or are you writing the file for the first time?
Where is the file located. Make sure permissions are set on file if outside of web app folder.
Why can you not use a small access database for this? You seem to want a text file solution.
Is there some constraint to cause this decision?

Roland Hall

in message
: It is correct that you should "go further, bigger and more robust" data
save
: solution when building web apps. But at the same time i have built web
apps
: with access db for more 50 users and there hasn't even go or slow down at
: all after 6 months. Remeber these 50+ users are not "really accessing the
: db at the same time. The recordsets are disconnected.. They're accessed
: and the db is released. Of course on these cases, the applications are
not
: critical neither 24/7 and it won't cause any big damage if it goes down
for
: a while.
:
: It all depends on your needs or company needs and the growth of the
: application. In my case this was used to save costs by the company and it
: is known that the growth of these activities are not closer than 10 years.
: So, my customers are happy with the solution. for some others and
: differents cases I have had to go with oracle or SQL Server.

Thanks Saer..

In this case, it's a shopping cart. I'd prefer it go down only during
scheduled maintenance. I am currently writing db versions of the cart, and
an XML module for distributors since it is currently MS SQL. I am going to
submit the XML version for testing and wanted to know if what I had written
was going to have issues. It may have other issues for other reasons but I
didn't want data corruption to be one of them.