ADO Constants

CJM

I'm trying to transfer an intranet app from one server to another. I'm
having a problem with the ADO constants on the destination server.

Our intranet site runs on the server.

In a virtual directory, I have a seperate application that is accessible
from the intranet.

I have the following in the global.asa in the virtual directory:

<!--METADATA TYPE="typelib"
UUID="2A75196C-D9EB-4129-B803-931327F72D5C"
NAME="Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library"-->

This usually allows me to refer to the ADO constants, e.g.

Set rsLoc = oConn.Execute (sSQL, iAffected, adCmdText)

However, in this case, IIS is complaining... Variable is undefined:
'adCmdText'

This is a new (clean) server, so I'm wondering if there is some kind of
confirguration issue...

Any ideas?

Chris

PS. I originally had the 2.6 typlib listed, which didnt work either.

Ken Schaefer

You have two options:

a) use the UUID, which means you need to know the MDAC version installed on
the machine (you need to look in the registry to be sure)

b) use the path to the typelib:
<!-- METADATA TYPE="TypeLib" FILE="C:\Program Files\Common
Files\system\ado\msado15.dll" -->
however, you need to know the drive letter (eg c:) that the boot partition
is. You can experiment (since there are only 24 possible letters until you
get the right one)

Cheers
Ken

:

Ken Schaefer said:
You have two options:

a) use the UUID, which means you need to know the MDAC version installed on
the machine (you need to look in the registry to be sure)

b) use the path to the typelib:
<!-- METADATA TYPE="TypeLib" FILE="C:\Program Files\Common
Files\system\ado\msado15.dll" -->
however, you need to know the drive letter (eg c:) that the boot partition
is. You can experiment (since there are only 24 possible letters until you
get the right one)

Cheers
Ken

Ken,

I checked in the registry and updated the UUID with the ProgID listed in the
registry. it didnt work.

So then I tried the 'file=' route, but had no luck with that either...

However, I have just realised something significant: The main intranet menu
is DB-driven - it is using the typelib specified in the main global.asa
file, and it works fine.... So why doesnt the application in the virtual
directory do the same?

Cheers

Chris

CJM

Aaron,

Yes I've checked.

Apart from the fact that the main intranet pages work, I've also run the
component checker. MDAC 2.8 RTM is installed.

Any other ideas?

This is running on Windows Server 2003 - previously I've worked with
IIS5/5.1.... I wonder if IIS6 makes a difference...

Chris

CJM

As per usual, the problem existed between chair and keyboard..!

My application is actually in a subdir of the intranet content area. This in
itself was a virtual directory.
However, my application directory was NOT a virtual directory, therefore the
global.asa would surely be ignored.

The app directory is now a pukka virtual directory! The application works...

The only think puzzling me now is how/why the app was able to pick up the
connection string which was defined in an application variable in the same
Global.asa??

Chris

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Maybe the connection string is also defined in the ROOT's global.asa file.

CJM

It's not in the site root global.asa, and the parent virtual dir doesnt have
one...

Curious...

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

It's not in the site root global.asa, and the parent virtual dir doesnt
have
one...

Curious...

Sorry, without being able to reproduce, I guess you've discovered one of the
world's greatest mysteries.

<shrug>

Ken Schaefer

The virtual directory is probably configured as an "Application Root", in
which case you need to put your own global.asa file in the application root
as well. Each Application Root maintains it's own Application/Session state

Cheers
Ken

:
: : > You have two options: