    the other, or use one instead of the other?

    Thanks :)

    Mythran

    Mythran, Apr 11, 2005

  2. Mythran

    Marina Guest

    Advantages of COM+
    Can have a distributed transaction over more then one database
    Don't need to pass around the connection/transaction

    Disadvantages of COM+
    Have to have strong named assemblies - not optional
    Can't use any non-strong named assemblies in your project
    Easy wind up with some sort of configuration/versioning problem

    Personally, I would avoid COM+ whenever possible. It is not that much effort
    to have a central place to store your transaction related objects, so all
    your code can use it. It really comes down to how many databases are
    involved. If just 1, I would go for just ADO transaction, if more then 1,
    you have no choice but to go with COM+

    Marina, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Mythran,

    COM+ based transactions, I presume enterprise services - are very expensive.
    Plus atleast for enterpriseservices, they will need strong naming (unless
    you can restrict yourself to serviceconfig). WHich makes them a pain to
    deploy even.

    The preferences is to keep it as close to the db as possible, so for a
    single database, SqlTransaction still takes the cake.

    - Sahil Malik [MVP]
    http://codebetter.com/blogs/sahil.malik/

    Sahil Malik [MVP], Apr 11, 2005
  4. Just an addition. COM+ could be very expensive from the performance point of
    view

    --
    Val Mazur
    Microsoft MVP

    http://xport.mvps.org

    Val Mazur \(MVP\), Apr 12, 2005
  5. Mythran

    Mythran Guest

    "Marina" <> wrote in message
    > Advantages of COM+
    > Can have a distributed transaction over more then one database
    > Don't need to pass around the connection/transaction
    >
    > Disadvantages of COM+
    > Have to have strong named assemblies - not optional
    > Can't use any non-strong named assemblies in your project
    > Easy wind up with some sort of configuration/versioning problem
    >
    > Personally, I would avoid COM+ whenever possible. It is not that much
    > effort to have a central place to store your transaction related objects,
    > so all your code can use it. It really comes down to how many databases
    > are involved. If just 1, I would go for just ADO transaction, if more then
    > 1, you have no choice but to go with COM+

    You would avoid COM+ because you have to have strong named assemblies? Not
    a problem, all my assemblies are given a strong-name anyways. All our data
    access and business logic components are registered in Component Services
    and I only posted this thread because I wanted to know if it would be better
    to go with something else. It seems that I would have to do a LOT of
    passing of objects around to achieve what we already do with COM+. Not only
    that, we do not see a performance hit with COM+ that everyone always seems
    to mention when I ask questions about it. It has been pretty smooth thus
    far. Anywho, thanks for the replies y'all.

    Mythran

    Mythran, Apr 12, 2005