ADO Recordset Save as XML error

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Kasp, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. Kasp

    Kasp Guest

    When I try and save out a recordset from an ASP page as XML I get the
    following error (the code is below) - I have ADO 2.8 installed and this
    is running on win XP sp2 :

    ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'

    Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in
    conflict with one another.

    Const adOpenStatic = 3
    Const adLockReadOnly = 1
    Const adCmdText = 1
    Const adPersistXML = 1

    Dim rS
    Dim conn
    Dim sql
    Dim xmlDoc

    Set rS = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
    Response.ContentType = "text/xml"

    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.Open "DSN=Test;UID=sa;PWD="

    set xmlDoc=Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XmlDom")
    xmlDoc.async = false
    xmlDoc.preservewhitespace = false

    sql = "SELECT * FROM test"
    rS.open sql, conn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText
    rS.save xmlDoc, adPersistXML
    rS.close

    Set conn = nothing
    Set rs = Nothing

    Any ideas? Thanks.

    Pierre
    Kasp, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Kasp wrote:
    > When I try and save out a recordset from an ASP page as XML I get the
    > following error (the code is below) - I have ADO 2.8 installed and
    > this is running on win XP sp2 :

    > ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'
    >
    > Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are
    > in conflict with one another.

    Which line of code causes this error?

    > Const adOpenStatic = 3
    > Const adLockReadOnly = 1
    > Const adCmdText = 1
    > Const adPersistXML = 1
    >
    > Dim rS
    > Dim conn
    > Dim sql
    > Dim xmlDoc
    >
    > Set rS = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
    > Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
    >
    > Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > conn.Open "DSN=Test;UID=sa;PWD="

    You're using sa for an application??? bad idea.

    > set xmlDoc=Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XmlDom")

    Try:
    set xmlDoc=Server.CreateObject("msxml2.DomDocument")

    > xmlDoc.async = false
    > xmlDoc.preservewhitespace = false
    >
    > sql = "SELECT * FROM test"
    > rS.open sql, conn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

    Nothing to do with your problem, but why use a static cursor? A forwardonly
    cursor is all you need:

    set rs = conn.execute(sql,,adCmdText)

    I would test rs for EOF before doing anything with it ...

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 15, 2005

  3. Kasp

    Kasp Guest

    > Kasp wrote:
    >> When I try and save out a recordset from an ASP page as XML I get the
    >> following error (the code is below) - I have ADO 2.8 installed and
    >> this is running on win XP sp2 :

    >> ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'
    >>
    >> Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are
    >> in conflict with one another.

    > Which line of code causes this error?

    rS.save xmlDoc, adPersistXML

    >> Const adOpenStatic = 3
    >> Const adLockReadOnly = 1
    >> Const adCmdText = 1
    >> Const adPersistXML = 1
    >>
    >> Dim rS
    >> Dim conn
    >> Dim sql
    >> Dim xmlDoc
    >>
    >> Set rS = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
    >> Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
    >>
    >> Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    >> conn.Open "DSN=Test;UID=sa;PWD="

    > You're using sa for an application??? bad idea.

    It is only for testing

    >> set xmlDoc=Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XmlDom")

    > Try:
    > set xmlDoc=Server.CreateObject("msxml2.DomDocument")

    same error

    Kasp, Nov 15, 2005
  4. "Kasp" <> wrote in message
    > When I try and save out a recordset from an ASP page as XML I get the
    > following error (the code is below) - I have ADO 2.8 installed and this
    > is running on win XP sp2 :

    > ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'
    >
    > Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in
    > conflict with one another.

    > Const adOpenStatic = 3
    > Const adLockReadOnly = 1
    > Const adCmdText = 1
    > Const adPersistXML = 1
    >
    > Dim rS
    > Dim conn
    > Dim sql
    > Dim xmlDoc
    >
    > Set rS = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
    > Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
    >
    > Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > conn.Open "DSN=Test;UID=sa;PWD="
    >
    > set xmlDoc=Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XmlDom")
    > xmlDoc.async = false
    > xmlDoc.preservewhitespace = false
    >
    > sql = "SELECT * FROM test"
    > rS.open sql, conn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText
    > rS.save xmlDoc, adPersistXML
    > rS.close
    >
    > Set conn = nothing
    > Set rs = Nothing

    > Any ideas? Thanks.
    >
    > Pierre

    I tested your code and it works. The only modifications I made where to the
    connection string and the sql statement. I used a UDL file for the
    connection string and used my own test table since you did not provide
    details on your test table.

    1. What database/version are you using?

    2. What's the DDL (Data Definition Language) for the test table?

    3. What provider are you using in your DSN entry for the "Test" database?
    Chris Hohmann, Nov 15, 2005
  5. Kasp

    Kasp Guest

    > "Kasp" <> wrote in message
    >> When I try and save out a recordset from an ASP page as XML I get the
    >> following error (the code is below) - I have ADO 2.8 installed and this
    >> is running on win XP sp2 :

    >> ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'
    >>
    >> Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in
    >> conflict with one another.

    >> Const adOpenStatic = 3
    >> Const adLockReadOnly = 1
    >> Const adCmdText = 1
    >> Const adPersistXML = 1
    >>
    >> Dim rS
    >> Dim conn
    >> Dim sql
    >> Dim xmlDoc
    >>
    >> Set rS = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
    >> Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
    >>
    >> Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    >> conn.Open "DSN=Test;UID=sa;PWD="
    >>
    >> set xmlDoc=Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XmlDom")
    >> xmlDoc.async = false
    >> xmlDoc.preservewhitespace = false
    >>
    >> sql = "SELECT * FROM test"
    >> rS.open sql, conn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText
    >> rS.save xmlDoc, adPersistXML
    >> rS.close
    >>
    >> Set conn = nothing
    >> Set rs = Nothing

    >> Any ideas? Thanks.
    >>
    >> Pierre
    >>

    > I tested your code and it works. The only modifications I made where to the
    > connection string and the sql statement. I used a UDL file for the connection
    > string and used my own test table since you did not provide details on your
    > test table.
    >
    > 1. What database/version are you using?

    Oracle 9.2

    > 2. What's the DDL (Data Definition Language) for the test table?

    what is a dll for a table?

    > 3. What provider are you using in your DSN entry for the "Test" database?

    Provider=MSDASQL.1;
    Extended Properties="DSN=Test;UID=xxx;PWD=xxx;SERVER=Test;"

    If I use this code in VB it is working !
    If I save the record in a text file, it is working !!
    Kasp, Nov 15, 2005
  6. [snip]
    >> 1. What database/version are you using?
    >>

    > Oracle 9.2

    This was a pretty important piece of information missing from your original
    post. More on this below.

    >> 2. What's the DDL (Data Definition Language) for the test table?
    >>

    > what is a dll for a table?

    Not DLL, DDL. It stands for Data Definition Language. Specifically, can you
    provide the "CREATE TABLE" statement for the "Test" table. That will let us
    know what the datatype/sizes are for each of the columns in your table. Of
    particular interest in this situation would be any columns that are mapped
    as adVariant, adIDispatch or adIUnknown in ADO. There's a note in the
    documentation for the Save method of the Recordset object about fields of
    these datatypes not being supported.

    >> 3. What provider are you using in your DSN entry for the "Test" database?

    > Provider=MSDASQL.1;
    > Extended Properties="DSN=Test;UID=xxx;PWD=xxx;SERVER=Test;"

    Have you tried using the native Oracle provider instead of the Microsoft
    Oracle provider?

    > If I use this code in VB it is working !

    Can we see the code?

    Chris Hohmann, Nov 16, 2005
  7. Kasp wrote:
    >> Kasp wrote:
    >>> When I try and save out a recordset from an ASP page as XML I get
    >>> the following error (the code is below) - I have ADO 2.8 installed
    >>> and this is running on win XP sp2 :

    >>> ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'
    >>>
    >>> Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are
    >>> in conflict with one another.

    >> Which line of code causes this error?
    >>

    > rS.save xmlDoc, adPersistXML

    This is sounding like either an MDAC problem or a problem with the MSXML
    parser, with the former being more likely. You should try upgrading both to
    the latest versions. Run Component Checker (a download from Microsoft) to
    verify that you have no MDAC problems on the server.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 16, 2005
  8. Kasp

    Kasp Guest

    > [snip]
    >>> 1. What database/version are you using?
    >>>

    >> Oracle 9.2

    > This was a pretty important piece of information missing from your original
    > post. More on this below.
    >

    >>> 2. What's the DDL (Data Definition Language) for the test table?
    >>>

    >> what is a dll for a table?

    > Not DLL, DDL. It stands for Data Definition Language. Specifically, can you
    > provide the "CREATE TABLE" statement for the "Test" table. That will let us
    > know what the datatype/sizes are for each of the columns in your table. Of
    > particular interest in this situation would be any columns that are mapped as
    > adVariant, adIDispatch or adIUnknown in ADO. There's a note in the
    > documentation for the Save method of the Recordset object about fields of
    > these datatypes not being supported.

    where can I find this information?

    >>> 3. What provider are you using in your DSN entry for the "Test" database?

    >> Provider=MSDASQL.1;
    >> Extended Properties="DSN=Test;UID=xxx;PWD=xxx;SERVER=Test;"

    > Have you tried using the native Oracle provider instead of the Microsoft
    > Oracle provider?

    Yes

    >> If I use this code in VB it is working !

    > Can we see the code?

    Private Sub Form_Load()

    Dim szConnect As String
    Dim SQL As String

    szConnect = "Provider=MSDASQL;Data Source=xxx;User
    Id=xxx;Password=xxx"
    SQL = "SELECT * FROM bl"

    Dim oRS As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim oCN As ADODB.Connection

    Set oCN = New ADODB.Connection
    Set oRS = New ADODB.Recordset

    With oCN
    .CursorLocation = adUseClient
    .ConnectionString = szConnect
    .ConnectionTimeout = 5
    .Open szConnect
    End With

    oRS.Open SQL, oCN

    Dim xmlDoc As DOMDocument
    Set xmlDoc = New DOMDocument

    ' To specify a specific version, use a declaration like the following,
    with the appropriate version in the ProgID:
    ' Dim xmlDoc As MSXML2.DOMDocument40
    ' Set xmlDoc = New MSXML2.DOMDocument40

    xmlDoc.async = False
    oRS.Save xmlDoc, adPersistXML

    If xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode <> 0 Then
    MsgBox "Errors During Load" & vbCrLf &
    xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode & xmlDoc.parseError.reason
    Else
    MsgBox xmlDoc.XML
    End If

    oRS.Close
    oCN.Close
    Set oRS = Nothing
    Set oCN = Nothing

    End Sub

    >> If I save the record in a text file, it is working !!

    > Can we see the code?

    Const adOpenStatic = 3
    Const adLockReadOnly = 1
    Const adCmdText = 1
    Const adPersistXML = 1

    Dim rS
    Dim conn
    Dim sql

    Set rS = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
    Response.ContentType = "text/xml"

    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.Open "DSN=Test;UID=sa;PWD="

    sql = "SELECT * FROM test"
    rS.open sql, conn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText
    rS.save "c:\\test.xml", adPersistXML
    rS.close

    Set conn = nothing
    Set rs = Nothing
    Kasp, Nov 16, 2005
  9. "Kasp" <> wrote in message
    >> [snip]
    >>>>

    >>> Oracle 9.2

    >> This was a pretty important piece of information missing from your
    >> original post. More on this below.

    >>> what is a dll for a table?

    >> Not DLL, DDL. It stands for Data Definition Language. Specifically, can
    >> you provide the "CREATE TABLE" statement for the "Test" table. That will
    >> let us know what the datatype/sizes are for each of the columns in your
    >> table. Of particular interest in this situation would be any columns that
    >> are mapped as adVariant, adIDispatch or adIUnknown in ADO. There's a note
    >> in the documentation for the Save method of the Recordset object about
    >> fields of these datatypes not being supported.
    >>

    > where can I find this information?

    It's been some time since I used Oracle, but if I remember correctly, you go
    to Enterprise Manager. Double click the table in the object tree on the
    left, then select the "show sql" button on the properties dialog box that
    comes up.

    >>> Provider=MSDASQL.1;
    >>> Extended Properties="DSN=Test;UID=xxx;PWD=xxx;SERVER=Test;"

    >> Have you tried using the native Oracle provider instead of the Microsoft
    >> Oracle provider?
    >>

    > Yes

    I'll assume by "yes", you mean "yes, I tried the native driver and still got
    the same error".

    >>> If I use this code in VB it is working !

    >> Can we see the code?
    >>

    > Private Sub Form_Load()
    >
    > Dim szConnect As String
    > Dim SQL As String
    >
    > szConnect = "Provider=MSDASQL;Data Source=xxx;User Id=xxx;Password=xxx"
    > SQL = "SELECT * FROM bl"
    >
    > Dim oRS As ADODB.Recordset
    > Dim oCN As ADODB.Connection
    >
    > Set oCN = New ADODB.Connection
    > Set oRS = New ADODB.Recordset
    >
    > With oCN
    > .CursorLocation = adUseClient
    > .ConnectionString = szConnect
    > .ConnectionTimeout = 5
    > .Open szConnect
    > End With
    >
    > oRS.Open SQL, oCN
    >
    > Dim xmlDoc As DOMDocument
    > Set xmlDoc = New DOMDocument
    >
    > ' To specify a specific version, use a declaration like the following,
    > with the appropriate version in the ProgID:
    > ' Dim xmlDoc As MSXML2.DOMDocument40
    > ' Set xmlDoc = New MSXML2.DOMDocument40
    >
    > xmlDoc.async = False
    > oRS.Save xmlDoc, adPersistXML
    >
    > If xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode <> 0 Then
    > MsgBox "Errors During Load" & vbCrLf & xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode
    > & xmlDoc.parseError.reason
    > Else
    > MsgBox xmlDoc.XML
    > End If
    >
    > oRS.Close
    > oCN.Close
    > Set oRS = Nothing
    > Set oCN = Nothing
    >
    > End Sub

    You are using a different connection string in this code.

    >>> If I save the record in a text file, it is working !!

    >> Can we see the code?

    > Const adOpenStatic = 3
    > Const adLockReadOnly = 1
    > Const adCmdText = 1
    > Const adPersistXML = 1
    >
    > Dim rS
    > Dim conn
    > Dim sql
    >
    > Set rS = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
    > Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
    >
    > Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > conn.Open "DSN=Test;UID=sa;PWD="
    >
    > sql = "SELECT * FROM test"
    > rS.open sql, conn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText
    > rS.save "c:\\test.xml", adPersistXML
    > rS.close
    >
    > Set conn = nothing
    > Set rs = Nothing

    Have you checked the resulting test.xml file?
    Chris Hohmann, Nov 16, 2005
  10. Kasp

    Kasp Guest

> [...]

    >> End Sub

    > You are using a different connection string in this code.

    >>> Can we see the code?

    >> Const adOpenStatic = 3
    >> Const adLockReadOnly = 1
    >> Const adCmdText = 1
    >> Const adPersistXML = 1
    >>
    >> Dim rS
    >> Dim conn
    >> Dim sql
    >>
    >> Set rS = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
    >> Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
    >>
    >> Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    >> conn.Open "DSN=Test;UID=sa;PWD="
    >>
    >> sql = "SELECT * FROM test"
    >> rS.open sql, conn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText
    >> rS.save "c:\\test.xml", adPersistXML
    >> rS.close
    >>
    >> Set conn = nothing
    >> Set rs = Nothing

    > Have you checked the resulting test.xml file?

    I found the problem ... It was permition access to the ora92 directory.

    Thank you.

    --
    Pierre
    Kasp, Nov 16, 2005
  11. Kasp wrote:
    > I found the problem ... It was permition access to the ora92
    > directory.

    Really??? That usually gives me an "Access Denied" error which is why I
    never even considered permissions to be the cause of your issue.

    Wait a minute ... you have totally lost me. You are saying that you were
    unable to save a recordset to an object that was in memory because of lack
    of permissions to a filesystem directory?? Something is not right here ...

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"