Adobe photoshop plug in

mustafa umut sarac

I am not a programmer.
But I have a great plug in idea for photoshop.
I want to complete the entire process bymyself with the help of friends.
I want to ask that : is python language only or simplest language for to write this plug in ?
Do I need to read the entire photoshop code for to write the plug in ?

Best wishes ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Bengt Richter

[mustafa umut sarac]
I am not a programmer.
But I have a great plug in idea for photoshop.
I want to complete the entire process bymyself with the help of friends.
I want to ask that : is python language only or simplest language for to write this plug in ?
Do I need to read the entire photoshop code for to write the plug in ?

In general, writing photoshop plugins is not a project for a beginner
programmer.
However, if your idea can be expressed in terms of existing photoshop actions,
then Python is an excellent choice for a scripting language. For that, you need
download win32all (see the link to it at www.python.org/2.3/ ) and then look at
Adobe's scripting guide at http://partners.adobe.com/asn/photoshop/scripting.jsp
.

If you need a real plugin, then life is more complicated. To write photoshop
plugins in any language, I think you need to have Adobe's plugin SDK which
runs about $200. It was not designed for beginning programmers.
I wonder why they charge for that (assuming you're right). ISTM if someone downloaded
a copy and did nothing, it would be no loss. If OTOH they put in the hours to produce
a desirable plugin, there would be at least a slight gain in PS marketability from the
existence of the plugin. IWT selling PS is 'way more important to Adobe's revenues
than selling the SDK. So is the SDK revenue worth the loss of the activity that would
happen if it were free? I guess they must think so.

To me it seems like a video card mfg selling device driver info.

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Raymond Hettinger

[Raymond]
[Bengt Richter]
I wonder why they charge for that (assuming you're right). ISTM if someone downloaded
a copy and did nothing, it would be no loss. If OTOH they put in the hours to produce
a desirable plugin, there would be at least a slight gain in PS marketability from the
existence of the plugin. IWT selling PS is 'way more important to Adobe's revenues
than selling the SDK. So is the SDK revenue worth the loss of the activity that would
happen if it were free? I guess they must think so.

Not at all. The real reason has little to do with making a buck
from developers. It is more insidious than that -- it's more along
the lines of controlling their intellectual property; using price
as a quality control mechanism; and a mircosoft style desire
to know who you are, what you're up to, and having a say in
whether you can do it. Even if you come up with the money,
they can still deny your request for an SDK:

http://partners.adobe.com/asn/photoshop/index.jsp

Raymond Hettinger