Adodb.Commandset errror - value is of the wrong type?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Guest, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    A user encountered an error while attempting to re-log into our registration
    system:

    Adodb.commandset error value of wrong type

    According to his email this is what he go...a google search returns nothing
    specific on this.

    My code is basically checking to see whether a cookie exists and if so
    retrieves some key customer details and deposits into a tracking table.

    This is the first time in three months I have ever seen this error.
    Additionally, if I attempt to use his registered email address to enter the
    system it works perfectly.

    I am at a loss here and appreciate any help you can give me.

    Thanks
    Jason

    Guest, Jan 12, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > A user encountered an error while attempting to re-log into our
    > registration system:
    >
    > Adodb.commandset error value of wrong type
    >
    > According to his email this is what he go...a google search returns
    > nothing specific on this.
    >
    > My code is basically checking to see whether a cookie exists and if so
    > retrieves some key customer details and deposits into a tracking
    > table.
    >
    > This is the first time in three months I have ever seen this error.
    > Additionally, if I attempt to use his registered email address to
    > enter the system it works perfectly.
    >
    > I am at a loss here and appreciate any help you can give me.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jason

    Show us some code. I've never heard of a commandset ...

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 12, 2005

    Patrice Guest

    Could it be because you try to use a bad value for an ADODB.Command
    parameter ?

    Patrice

    Patrice, Jan 13, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Sure. The client did not provide the line number of the error. I am afraid I
    will have to show you the entire code page - I apologize in advance if my
    coding is too verbose and cluttered. I realise better programmers whould
    have have used less more elegant code..

    I am using the 'browserhawk' component for browser and cookie sniffing.

    <%
    Const adCmdTable = &H0002
    Const adCmdStoredProc = &H0004

    '---- ParameterDirectionEnum Values ----
    Const adParamUnknown = &H0000
    Const adParamInput = &H0001
    Const adParamOutput = &H0002
    Const adParamInputOutput = &H0003
    Const adParamReturnValue = &H0004

    '---- DataTypeEnum Values ----
    Const adEmpty = 0
    Const adTinyInt = 16
    Const adSmallInt = 2
    Const adInteger = 3
    Const adBigInt = 20
    Const adUnsignedTinyInt = 17
    Const adUnsignedSmallInt = 18
    Const adUnsignedInt = 19
    Const adUnsignedBigInt = 21
    Const adSingle = 4
    Const adDouble = 5
    Const adCurrency = 6
    Const adDecimal = 14
    Const adNumeric = 131
    Const adBoolean = 11
    Const adError = 10
    Const adUserDefined = 132
    Const adVariant = 12
    Const adIDispatch = 9
    Const adIUnknown = 13
    Const adGUID = 72
    Const adDate = 7
    Const adDBDate = 133
    Const adDBTime = 134
    Const adDBTimeStamp = 135
    Const adBSTR = 8
    Const adChar = 129
    Const adVarChar = 200
    Const adLongVarChar = 201
    Const adWChar = 130
    Const adVarWChar = 202
    Const adLongVarWChar = 203
    Const adBinary = 128
    Const adVarBinary = 204
    Const adLongVarBinary = 205

    const SITENAME = "www.catamarans.com"
    const HOMEPAGE = "<H3><font color=blue>CATAMARANS</font>.COM MEMBERSHIP
    PAGE</H3>"

    function OutputHeader()
    OutputHeader="<H2>" & HOMEPAGE & "</H2>"
    end function

    function GetConnection()
    const DSN = "V032U10DUW"
    const UID = "V032U10DUW"
    const PASSWORD = "cU3QmtgDyzWX"

    Dim p_oConn, sDSN
    Set p_oConn = server.createObject("ADODB.Connection")
    '//sDSN = "DSN=" & DSN & ";uid=" & UID & ";password=" & PASSWORD
    '//sDSN.open = "driver={SQL
    Server};server=MAXSQL00?.maximumasp.com;DB=yourSQLDBName;UID=yourSQLLogin;PW
    D=YourSQLPassword"
    p_oConn.open "driver={SQL
    Server};server=MAXSQL008.maximumasp.com;DB=V032U10DUW;UID=V032U10DUW;PWD=cU3
    QmtgDyzWX"
    Set GetConnection = p_oConn
    end function

    function GetStoredProcedure(oConnection, sName)
    Dim oCmd
    Set oCmd = Server.createobject("ADODB.Command")
    Set oCmd.ActiveConnection = oConn
    oCmd.CommandText = sName
    oCmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
    Set GetStoredProcedure = oCmd
    end function

    Dim strs, strLen, ParDirLen, SubPathLen, Mystring
    function stripParentDirectory(u_CurrentURL)
    stripParentDirectory = u_CurrentURL
    if instr(u_CurrentURL, "/") <> instrRev(u_CurrentURL, "/") then
    strs = split(u_CurrentURL, "/")
    stripParentDirectory = strs(1)
    end if
    end function

    'STRIP SUB PATH AFTER PARENT DIRECTORY AND CREATE CORRECT URL

    Function stripSubPath(ParentDir, u_CurrentURL)

    strLen = len(u_CurrentURL)
    ParDirLen=len(ParentDir) + 2 '//add slash x 2

    SubPathLen= strLen - ParDirLen
    '//Response.write SubPathLen

    MyString= Right(u_CurrentURL,SubPathLen)
    MyString = "http://www." & ParentDir & ".com/" & MyString
    stripSubPath =MyString
    End Function

    <!--#INCLUDE VIRTUAL= "/catamaranco/join/utility.asp"-->
    <% set bh = Server.CreateObject("cyScape.browserObj")
    checkType = 3

    if checkType = 3 then
    bh.SetExtProperties "cookie_both,referrer"
    elseif checkType = 2 then
    bh.SetExtProperties "cookie_sess"
    elseif checkType = 1 then
    bh.SetExtProperties "cookie_perm"
    else
    response.write "<html>bad checkType specified</html>"
    response.end
    end if
    bh.GetExtPropertiesEx
    '------------------------------
    'COOKIES= DISABLED/TURNED OFF
    '-----------------------------
    u_CurrentURL = Request.ServerVariables("URL")
    If u_CurrentURL ="" then
    u_CurrentURL ="unknown"
    End If
    u_VisitorIP = request.ServerVariables("remote_addr")
    If u_VisitorIP ="" then
    u_VisitorIP ="unknown"
    End If
    u_Referer = request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")
    If u_Referer ="" then
    u_Referer ="unknown"
    End If
    u_Browser = request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT")
    If u_Browser ="" then
    u_Browser ="unknown"
    End If
    u_FromURL=bh.Referrer
    If u_FromURL="" then
    u_FromURL=Request.servervariables("Remote_Host")
    End If
    If u_FromURL="" then
    u_FromURL="Unknown"
    End If
    if not bh.cookies then %>
    <%
    '//FromURL = Bh.Referrer
    response.redirect "/catamaranco/join/?CookieChk=Unsupported"
    '//&FromURL=" & FromURL

    else

    '---------------------------------------------
    'COOKIES= TRUE or Logged in WITHOUT cookies = TRUE
    '---------------------------------------------
    if bh.cookiesEnabled THEN 'or Request("vID") then '//cookies enabled

    '---------------------------------------------
    'Check if Cookie there....
    '---------------------------------------------
    If request.Cookies("Prospect")("u_id") or Request("vID") Then

    vID=request("vID")
    u_id=request.cookies("Prospect")("u_id")

    u_CurrentURL=request.servervariables("URL")
    set oConn = GetConnection()

    If vID <> "" then '// no cookie, but ID is present
    CookieBln=0
    '//retrieve user database details as cookies not present
    u_id=Request("vID")
    u_FromURL=Request("u_FromURL")
    u_CurrentURL=Request.servervariables("URL")

    Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"sp_GetUser")
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger,
    adParamInput,10,u_id)
    set oRS = oCmd.execute()

    if oRS.eof then
    Response.Write("You do not appear to be in our database")
    else
    u_name=escapeString(oRS.fields("u_name"))

    end if
    Else '//Cookie present, but no VID
    CookieBln=1
    u_name = request.Cookies("Prospect")("u_name")

    End If

    Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_logonuser")
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_name", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,50,u_name)
    'oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_password",
    adVarChar, adParamInput,12,spassword)
    set oRS = oCmd.execute()
    if oRS.eof then
    sError = "<BR>We have a cookie ID but no record in the
    database. You may have been deleted from database<br><br>"
    else '//SUCCESSFUL

    Dim u_id, document, CookieBln, u_createDate, u_ExpiryDate,
    DateToday, OverdueDays
    u_id = oRS.fields("u_id")
    '//u_createDate =oRS.fields("u_createDate")
    u_ExpiryDate= oRS.fields("u_ExpiryDate")
    If DATEDIFF("d",u_ExpiryDate,NOW()) >= 0 then
    '//*** REGISTRATION HAS EXPIRED
    DateToday
    response.write "Your registration has <font size=3 color=red
    face=verdana>expired</font>. You will need to update "
    '//response.write "Your expiration is overdue by" &
    OverdueDays & " days<br><br>"
    document = "/catamaranco/join/Update2.asp?u_CurrentURL=" &
    u_CurrentURL & "&u_FromURL=" & u_FromURL
    response.redirect document
    End If
    End If

    Sub WriteVariables

    Response.write "<p>CookieBln= " & CookieBln & "<p>"
    Response.write "u_FromURL: " & u_FromURL & "<br>"
    Response.write "u_CurrentURL: " & u_CurrentURL & "<BR>"
    Response.write "Prospect expiry date: " & ExpDate & "<br>"
    Response.write "Prospect ID: " & u_id & "<br>"
    Response.write "Prospect USERNAME: " & u_name & "<br>"
    Response.write "Prospect VisitorIP: " & u_VisitorIP & "<br>"
    End Sub

    '//response.end
    '//INSERT INTO USERPATH
    Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_addUserPath")
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger,
    adParamInput,4,u_id)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter(" u_name", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,70, u_name)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("UserIP", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,20, u_VisitorIP)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("URLFrom", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,100,u_FromURL)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("URLCurrent", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,100,u_CurrentURL)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_browser", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,100,u_browser)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_Cookies", adInteger,
    adParamInput,4,CookieBln)
    '//oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_OS", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,100,u_OS)
    '//set oReturn = oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger,
    adParamOutput)
    '//oCmd.Parameters.append oReturn

    '<!--#include file="EmailLoginUser.asp"-->
    oCmd.execute()
    Else
    '---------------------------------------------
    '..COOKIE DELETED
    '---------------------------------------------

    u_FromURL=bh.Referrer
    If u_FromURL="" then
    u_FromURL=Request.servervariables("Remote_Host")
    If u_FromURL="" then
    u_FromURL="Unknown"
    End If
    End If

    u_CurrentURL=Request.Servervariables("URL")
    '//response.write u_CurrentURL

    'response.write u_FromURL
    'response.end
    Response.redirect
    "/catamaranco/join/logon.asp?CookieChk=Deleted&u_FromURL=" & u_FromURL &
    "&u_CurrentURL=" & u_CurrentURL

    End If
    else
    '---------------------------------------------
    'SUPPORTS COOKIES BUT Disabled
    '---------------------------------------------

    u_FromURL=bh.Referrer
    If u_FromURL="" then
    u_FromURL=Request.servervariables("Remote_Host")
    If u_FromURL="" then
    u_FromURL="Unknown"
    End If
    End If
    If u_CurrentURL="" then
    u_CurrentURL=Request.servervariables("URL")
    If u_CurrentURL="" then
    u_CurrentURL="Unknown"
    End If
    End If
    'response.write u_FromURL
    'response.write "<b>Cookies disabled<br>"
    '//response.write
    "catamaranco/join/logon.asp?CookieChk=Disabled&FromURL=" & u_FromURL

    '//response.write "<p>" & "Just logged in with VID...but no
    database processing script" & "<p>VID=" & Request("vID")
    If Request("vID") <> "" then '// no cookie, but ID is present
    CookieBln=0
    '//retrieve user database details as cookies not present
    u_id=Request("vID")
    u_FromURL=Request("u_FromURL")
    u_CurrentURL=Request.servervariables("URL")
    set oConn = GetConnection()
    Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"sp_GetUser")
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger,
    adParamInput,10,u_id)
    set oRS = oCmd.execute()

    if oRS.eof then
    Response.Write("You do not appear to be in our database")
    else
    u_name=escapeString(oRS.fields("u_name"))
    '//response.write u_name
    '//response.end

    Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_addUserPath")
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id",
    adInteger, adParamInput,4,u_id)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter(" u_name",
    adVarChar, adParamInput,70, u_name)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("UserIP",
    adVarChar, adParamInput,20, u_VisitorIP)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("URLFrom",
    adVarChar, adParamInput,100,u_FromURL)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("URLCurrent",
    adVarChar, adParamInput,100,u_CurrentURL)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_browser",
    adVarChar, adParamInput,100,u_browser)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_Cookies",
    adInteger, adParamInput,4,CookieBln)
    oCmd.execute()
    response.write "done"
    end if
    Else

    response.redirect
    "/catamaranco/join/logon.asp?CookieChk=Disabled&u_FromURL=" & u_FromURL &
    "&u_CurrentURL=" & u_CurrentURL
    End If
    end if
    End If
    %>

    Guest, Jan 13, 2005
  5. wrote:
    > Sure. The client did not provide the line number of the error. I am
    > afraid I will have to show you the entire code page -

    Why?
    sigh - you're the one asking for help. You could not have gone to the
    trouble to extract your ADO code?

    I'm going to quickly scan this and give you my thoughts after the snippage.

    > I apologize in
    > advance if my coding is too verbose and cluttered. I realise better
    > programmers whould have have used less more elegant code..

    Don't worry about it.

    > I am using the 'browserhawk' component for browser and cookie
    > sniffing.

    irrelevant to this issue.

    > <%

    <snip>
    Opportunity to reduce the verbosity:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2112

    <snip>

    > function GetConnection()
    > const DSN = "V032U10DUW"
    > const UID = "V032U10DUW"
    > const PASSWORD = "cU3QmtgDyzWX"

    You should have censored this (or is this already censored?)

    > Dim p_oConn, sDSN
    > Set p_oConn = server.createObject("ADODB.Connection")

    With IIS 5 and above, you can improve performance by using the vbscript
    CreateObject (just leave out the "Server." portion)

    <snip of comments - sigh>

    > p_oConn.open "driver={SQL
    > Server};server=MAXSQL008.maximumasp.com;DB=V032U10DUW;UID=V032U10DUW;PWD=cU3
    > QmtgDyzWX"

    Why use ODBC? The native SQL Server OLE DB provider (SQLOLEDB) will be more
    functional and robust:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

    > Set GetConnection = p_oConn
    > end function
    >
    > function GetStoredProcedure(oConnection, sName)
    > Dim oCmd
    > Set oCmd = Server.createobject("ADODB.Command")
    > Set oCmd.ActiveConnection = oConn

    good, you used Set

    > oCmd.CommandText = sName
    > oCmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
    > Set GetStoredProcedure = oCmd
    > end function

    <snip>

    > set oConn = GetConnection()
    >

    > If vID <> "" then '// no cookie, but ID is present
    > CookieBln=0
    > '//retrieve user database details as cookies not present
    > u_id=Request("vID")

    You should specify the collection that contains this variable: is it
    Querystring or Form?

    > u_FromURL=Request("u_FromURL")
    > u_CurrentURL=Request.servervariables("URL")

    You should verify that these variables have good data at this point, esp.
    the first two.

    > Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"sp_GetUser")

    You should not use "sp_" as a prefix for non-system stored procedures.

    > oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id",
    > adInteger, adParamInput,10,u_id)
    > set oRS = oCmd.execute()

    With no output or return parameter to worry about, you don't need an
    explicit Command object here. Simply do this:

    Set oRS = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
    oConn,sp_GetUser u_id, oRS

    > if oRS.eof then
    > Response.Write("You do not appear to be in our
    > database") else
    > u_name=escapeString(oRS.fields("u_name"))
    >
    > end if
    > Else '//Cookie present, but no VID
    > CookieBln=1
    > u_name = request.Cookies("Prospect")("u_name")
    >
    > End If
    >
    > Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_logonuser")
    > oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_name",
    > adVarChar, adParamInput,50,u_name)
    > 'oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_password",
    > adVarChar, adParamInput,12,spassword)
    > set oRS = oCmd.execute()

    Same comment as above. Command object is not necessary.

    > if oRS.eof then

    <snip>

    > Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_addUserPath")
    > oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger,

    <snip>
    > oCmd.execute()

    Same comment as above. Command object is not necessary.

    <snip>
    > Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"sp_GetUser")
    > oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id",
    > adInteger, adParamInput,10,u_id)
    > set oRS = oCmd.execute()

    ditto

    > if oRS.eof then
    > Response.Write("You do not appear to be in our
    > database") else
    > u_name=escapeString(oRS.fields("u_name"))
    > '//response.write u_name
    > '//response.end
    >
    > Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_addUserPath")
    > oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id",

    <snip>
    > oCmd.execute()

    ditto

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 13, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Many thanks Bob....I will follow your recommendations and clean up this
    code....

    - Jason

    Guest, Jan 14, 2005