ADODB error from JS

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Adrian, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Hi,
    I have an ASP page on an intranet IIS server that posts data via a
    System DSN to an Access DB, normally it works fine however sometimes it
    returns 0 for success but no data is added to the DB!?

    Dim conn
    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.Open "DSN=testmain"
    sql="Insert Into testtable (Survey_1,Survey_2)
    VALUES ("
    sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Survey_1") & "',"
    sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Survey_2") & "')"
    on error resume next
    conn.Execute sql,recaffected
    if err<>0 then
    Response.Write(" Survey NOT Added! ")
    else
    Response.Write("<h3>" & recaffected & " Survey Added </h3>")
    end if
    conn.close
    Set conn = Nothing
    %>

    The above is cut down version as there are a lot of fields!

    Anyone know why it would return 0 sometimes but not add the data?

    thanks

    Adrian

    Adrian, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Hi,

    Adrian wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have an ASP page on an intranet IIS server that posts data via a
    > System DSN to an Access DB, normally it works fine however sometimes it
    > returns 0 for success but no data is added to the DB!?
    >
    > Dim conn
    > Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > conn.Open "DSN=testmain"
    > sql="Insert Into testtable (Survey_1,Survey_2)
    > VALUES ("
    > sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Survey_1") & "',"
    > sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Survey_2") & "')"
    > on error resume next
    > conn.Execute sql,recaffected
    > if err<>0 then
    > Response.Write(" Survey NOT Added! ")
    > else
    > Response.Write("<h3>" & recaffected & " Survey Added </h3>")
    > end if
    > conn.close
    > Set conn = Nothing
    > %>
    >

    > The above is cut down version as there are a lot of fields!
    >
    > Anyone know why it would return 0 sometimes but not add the data?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Adrian

    You're very much off-topic here. Your code is VBScript on ASP. Ask a VB
    newsgroup, or an ASP newsgroup, or both.

    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft
    Webdesign, Java, JavaScript: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    "Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft" <galasoft-LB@bluewin_NO_SPAM.ch> wrote in
    message news:3F1FF4DF.4030304@bluewin_NO_SPAM.ch...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Adrian wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have an ASP page on an intranet IIS server that posts data via a
    > > System DSN to an Access DB, normally it works fine however sometimes it
    > > returns 0 for success but no data is added to the DB!?
    > >
    > > Dim conn
    > > Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > > conn.Open "DSN=testmain"
    > > sql="Insert Into testtable (Survey_1,Survey_2)
    > > VALUES ("
    > > sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Survey_1") & "',"
    > > sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Survey_2") & "')"
    > > on error resume next
    > > conn.Execute sql,recaffected
    > > if err<>0 then
    > > Response.Write(" Survey NOT Added! ")
    > > else
    > > Response.Write("<h3>" & recaffected & " Survey Added </h3>")
    > > end if
    > > conn.close
    > > Set conn = Nothing
    > > %>
    > >

    > > The above is cut down version as there are a lot of fields!
    > >
    > > Anyone know why it would return 0 sometimes but not add the data?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > Adrian

    > You're very much off-topic here. Your code is VBScript on ASP. Ask a VB
    > newsgroup, or an ASP newsgroup, or both.
    >
    > Laurent
    > --
    > Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft
    > Webdesign, Java, JavaScript: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch
    > Private/Malaysia: http://mypage.bluewin.ch/lbugnion

    Opps Sorry!

    Adrian, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Adrian

    kaeli Guest

    In article <bfor4m$cei$1$>,
    enlightened us with...
    > Hi,
    > I have an ASP page on an intranet IIS server that posts data via a
    > System DSN to an Access DB, normally it works fine however sometimes it
    > returns 0 for success but no data is added to the DB!?
    >
    > Dim conn
    > Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > conn.Open "DSN=testmain"
    > sql="Insert Into testtable (Survey_1,Survey_2)
    > VALUES ("
    > sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Survey_1") & "',"
    > sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Survey_2") & "')"

    You aren't testing to be sure the values are there.
    Blanks count as values. And if it isn't filled in at all, it gets the
    empty string. Are you sure it isn't inserting blanks/null?

    Dim s1
    s1 = Request.Form("Survey_1")
    s1 = s1.Trim()
    If s1.Len < 1 Then
    Error
    End If

    ~kaeli~
    Black holes were created when God divided by 0.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion
    that life is serious.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Hi Kaeli
    Thanks for your reply, good point, but alas not the case as no record is
    added not even a blank one! in fact some of the fields are Drop downs so I
    would and do get records with just the defaults. but the problem I have it
    comes back 0 so no error is generated and the user thinks they have
    completed the form OK!!!

    thanks

    Adrian

    Adrian, Jul 24, 2003