Adsense Gadget

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Blinky the Shark] on Saturday 07 January 2006 07:10 \__
I see you guys going on all the time about Adsense -- ran across this FF
extension, tonight. Don't know if it's useful or not.

http://code.mincus.com/?p=3

I have used it for about 4 months. Finally, U have even more zeroes in my
status bar. I remember the days when I was more fortunate, which is why I
had it installed in the first place. It's stable, quite reliable and it
never nags about failed attempts to authenticate. If you ever find your-
self checking AdSense report regularly (even occasionally), then I'd rec-
ommend it. The numbers become far less distracting in due time, so visual
clutter is not an issue.

Roy

PS - Blinky, I see that you settled on "Mandriva 2006.0 Linux; kernel
2.6.12". Glad you got it working eventually.

Blinky the Shark

Roy said:
PS - Blinky, I see that you settled on "Mandriva 2006.0 Linux; kernel
2.6.12". Glad you got it working eventually.

Thanks. I'm also running SuSE 10.0, but Mandriva is here, on my primary
box.

Blinky the Shark

Roy said:
__/ [Blinky the Shark] on Saturday 07 January 2006 19:08 \__
Thanks. I'm also running SuSE 10.0, but Mandriva is here, on my
primary box.

What do you think of SuSE? That Linux distro 'quiz'[1] recommended that
I use Mandriva when I took the test a couple of days ago.

I don't have a huge impression, yet. The install required less user
input; but that's because there was no chance to customize it. Other than
that, I've been getting used to files being in different places and stuff
like that, and learning my way around the YaST equivalent of Mandriva's
Mandrake Control Center, both of which are kind of like Win's Control
Panel. And loading software, of course. I have mail and news clients set
up and running -- that was just fiddly work, as they're the same ones I
use here in Mandrake. All that said, it looks fine and the only reason I
favor Mandrake is because I've been using it for a few years and I'd never
seen SuSE until last week or so. Had it been the other way around, I'd be
more comfortable with SuSE. I've also been playing with a live CD of
Knoppix, and a couple days ago I got a copy of Kubuntu (live/install, take
your pick), which I'd ordered along with the new Open Office 2.0.0.

As for your test results, Mandriva is considered about the most
Linux-newbie friendly (it had that distinction as Mandrake, before the
merver with Connectiva last year). And that's why *I* started with it,
when I moved. I kept Windows for about a year, in a dual-boot situation
next to Mandrake: both OS's on the same HDD and at boot the the option of
MS lets Windows understand Linux <g>), I could bring data from Win over to
Linux while in Linux, which was good for the conversion stage moving to
Linux.

The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that order. :)

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Blinky the Shark] on Sunday 08 January 2006 08:05 \__
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

PS - Blinky, I see that you settled on "Mandriva 2006.0 Linux; kernel
2.6.12". Glad you got it working eventually.

Thanks. I'm also running SuSE 10.0, but Mandriva is here, on my
primary box.

What do you think of SuSE? That Linux distro 'quiz'[1] recommended that
I use Mandriva when I took the test a couple of days ago.

I don't have a huge impression, yet. The install required less user
input; but that's because there was no chance to customize it.

True. You can always go back to YaST and install whatever you fancy. By
default, plenty of the basic 'stuff' gets installed. SuSE is trying not to
confuse the amateur user and be the least verbose. it's a positive thing.
Ubuntu is even worse/better (i.e. quiet, depends on one's preferences).

Other than
that, I've been getting used to files being in different places and stuff
like that, and learning my way around the YaST equivalent of Mandriva's
Mandrake Control Center, both of which are kind of like Win's Control
Panel.

True, but there is also the issue of adaptation and orientation. The menus
are logically build, somewhat hierarchically. That kind of computer
'taxonomy' is rather innate, so it is not a matter of emulating or imitating
Control Panel by any means. In fact, Windows probably copied these from the
Mac. Most of the look-and-feel is argued to be so.

Locations of files are canonical. A quick Web search could immediately
provide the 'bridge' and knowing the variants of common paths is a valued
skill (see more below).

And loading software, of course. I have mail and news clients set
up and running -- that was just fiddly work, as they're the same ones I
use here in Mandrake. All that said, it looks fine and the only reason I
favor Mandrake is because I've been using it for a few years and I'd never
seen SuSE until last week or so. Had it been the other way around, I'd be
more comfortable with SuSE. I've also been playing with a live CD of
Knoppix, and a couple days ago I got a copy of Kubuntu (live/install, take
your pick), which I'd ordered along with the new Open Office 2.0.0.

Knowing many distribution is a useful exercise. It does not take more than a
few days to get a 'taste' of each. As you are dealing with various KDE-based
distributions, the difference is probably minor for most things.

As for your test results, Mandriva is considered about the most
Linux-newbie friendly (it had that distinction as Mandrake, before the
merver with Connectiva last year). And that's why *I* started with it,
when I moved. I kept Windows for about a year, in a dual-boot situation
next to Mandrake: both OS's on the same HDD and at boot the the option of
MS lets Windows understand Linux <g>), I could bring data from Win over to
Linux while in Linux, which was good for the conversion stage moving to
Linux.

The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that order. :)

If you ever wish to move files from Linux to Windows, you can do that rather
easily. I was in that very same situation a year ago, before all computers
and partitions turned Linux (ReiserFS).

http://p-nand-q.com/download/rfstool.html
http://yareg.akucom.de/index.html#DOWNLOAD (.NET GUI to the above)

These can make your life a lot easier if you cannot afford to strip Windows
off one partition, but still wish to use its available disk space.

Roy

Blinky the Shark

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

PS - Blinky, I see that you settled on "Mandriva 2006.0 Linux; kernel
2.6.12". Glad you got it working eventually.

Thanks. I'm also running SuSE 10.0, but Mandriva is here, on my
primary box.

What do you think of SuSE? That Linux distro 'quiz'[1] recommended that
I use Mandriva when I took the test a couple of days ago.

I don't have a huge impression, yet. The install required less user
input; but that's because there was no chance to customize it.

True. You can always go back to YaST and install whatever you fancy. By
default, plenty of the basic 'stuff' gets installed. SuSE is trying not to
confuse the amateur user and be the least verbose. it's a positive thing.
Ubuntu is even worse/better (i.e. quiet, depends on one's preferences).

I don't see it as positive when Mandrake's approach is to offer a list
like:

[ ] graphics workstation
[ ] network workstation
[ ] office workstation

....and let you check what you want to do. How can "what do you want to
do?" boggle a newb? Sure, he can also choose to instead pick all the
packages he wants installed from The Big List of what's included with the
distribution media. But he doesn't have to; he can just check off areas
from the list I just incompletely approximated and let Mandrake install
what he'll probably need.
True, but there is also the issue of adaptation and orientation. The
menus are logically build, somewhat hierarchically. That kind of
computer 'taxonomy' is rather innate, so it is not a matter of emulating
or imitating Control Panel by any means. In fact, Windows probably
copied these from the Mac. Most of the look-and-feel is argued to be so.
Locations of files are canonical. A quick Web search could immediately

And, as I said, different by distribution, in some cases.
provide the 'bridge' and knowing the variants of common paths is a
valued skill (see more below).

I didn't say I was afraid of SuSE. I just mentioned some of my first
impressions. And I didn't say any of them were deal breakers. :)
Knowing many distribution is a useful exercise. It does not take more
than a few days to get a 'taste' of each. As you are dealing with
various KDE-based distributions, the difference is probably minor for
most things.

Isn't SuSE (which offers both KDE and Gnome) more Gnomey thatn KDEish?
As for your test results, Mandriva is considered about the most
Linux-newbie friendly (it had that distinction as Mandrake, before the
merver with Connectiva last year). And that's why *I* started with it,
when I moved. I kept Windows for about a year, in a dual-boot
situation next to Mandrake: both OS's on the same HDD and at boot the
the option of loading either one. And since Linux understands MS file
systems (not that MS lets Windows understand Linux <g>), I could bring
data from Win over to Linux while in Linux, which was good for the
conversion stage moving to Linux.

The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that order.
:)

If you ever wish to move files from Linux to Windows, you can do that
rather easily. I was in that very same situation a year ago, before all
computers and partitions turned Linux (ReiserFS).

I've been moving them back and forth since 200...er...2002, I think.
http://p-nand-q.com/download/rfstool.html
http://yareg.akucom.de/index.html#DOWNLOAD (.NET GUI to the above)

These can make your life a lot easier if you cannot afford to strip
Windows off one partition, but still wish to use its available disk
space.

I'll check those out when I have more time than I do tonight -- thanks.

Blinky the Shark

»Q« said:
That Linux distro 'quiz'[1] recommended that I use Mandriva when I took
the test a couple of days ago.

The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that order.
:)

I think the quiz results are pretty good. It recommended Gentoo as the
best distro for me but warned me that I was too newbish for Gentoo. I
reckon it was right on both counts.

I should know the answer to this question, but I'm sorry to say that I
don't: have you done any Linux yet?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the Shark
<[email protected]> spouted in alt.html:

[http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/]
The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that order. :)

Ditto. :) I haven't seen SuSE, but have been using Mandrake/Mandriva
for a couple of years, and have yet to find a good reason to change.
Haven't got 2006 yet - much of a difference/improvement from 2005?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

[1] http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that
order.
:)

I think the quiz results are pretty good. It recommended Gentoo
as the best distro for me but warned me that I was too newbish
for Gentoo. I reckon it was right on both counts.

I should know the answer to this question, but I'm sorry to say
that I don't: have you done any Linux yet?

Yeah, I use Gentoo.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
You could find information about adsense in:
<snip url>

Um, and that has *what* to do with my post about SuSE/Mandriva?