Adsense Gadget

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2006

  2. __/ [Blinky the Shark] on Saturday 07 January 2006 07:10 \__

    > I see you guys going on all the time about Adsense -- ran across this FF
    > extension, tonight. Don't know if it's useful or not.
    >
    > http://code.mincus.com/?p=3

    I have used it for about 4 months. Finally, U have even more zeroes in my
    status bar. I remember the days when I was more fortunate, which is why I
    had it installed in the first place. It's stable, quite reliable and it
    never nags about failed attempts to authenticate. If you ever find your-
    self checking AdSense report regularly (even occasionally), then I'd rec-
    ommend it. The numbers become far less distracting in due time, so visual
    clutter is not an issue.

    Roy

    PS - Blinky, I see that you settled on "Mandriva 2006.0 Linux; kernel
    2.6.12". Glad you got it working eventually.

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Roy Schestowitz, Jan 7, 2006

  3. Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > PS - Blinky, I see that you settled on "Mandriva 2006.0 Linux; kernel
    > 2.6.12". Glad you got it working eventually.

    Thanks. I'm also running SuSE 10.0, but Mandriva is here, on my primary
    box.

    --
    Blinky Reg Linux User 297263
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Re: SuSE and Mandriva (Was: Adsense Gadget)

    __/ [Blinky the Shark] on Saturday 07 January 2006 19:08 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> PS - Blinky, I see that you settled on "Mandriva 2006.0 Linux; kernel
    >> 2.6.12". Glad you got it working eventually.

    > Thanks. I'm also running SuSE 10.0, but Mandriva is here, on my primary
    > box.

    What do you think of SuSE? That Linux distro 'quiz'[1] recommended that I use
    Mandriva when I took the test a couple of days ago.

    [1] http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
    Roy Schestowitz, Jan 8, 2006
  5. Re: SuSE and Mandriva (Was: Adsense Gadget)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > __/ [Blinky the Shark] on Saturday 07 January 2006 19:08 \__
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> PS - Blinky, I see that you settled on "Mandriva 2006.0 Linux; kernel
    >>> 2.6.12". Glad you got it working eventually.

    >> Thanks. I'm also running SuSE 10.0, but Mandriva is here, on my
    >> primary box.

    > What do you think of SuSE? That Linux distro 'quiz'[1] recommended that
    > I use Mandriva when I took the test a couple of days ago.

    I don't have a huge impression, yet. The install required less user
    input; but that's because there was no chance to customize it. Other than
    that, I've been getting used to files being in different places and stuff
    like that, and learning my way around the YaST equivalent of Mandriva's
    Mandrake Control Center, both of which are kind of like Win's Control
    Panel. And loading software, of course. I have mail and news clients set
    up and running -- that was just fiddly work, as they're the same ones I
    use here in Mandrake. All that said, it looks fine and the only reason I
    favor Mandrake is because I've been using it for a few years and I'd never
    seen SuSE until last week or so. Had it been the other way around, I'd be
    more comfortable with SuSE. I've also been playing with a live CD of
    Knoppix, and a couple days ago I got a copy of Kubuntu (live/install, take
    your pick), which I'd ordered along with the new Open Office 2.0.0.

    As for your test results, Mandriva is considered about the most
    Linux-newbie friendly (it had that distinction as Mandrake, before the
    merver with Connectiva last year). And that's why *I* started with it,
    when I moved. I kept Windows for about a year, in a dual-boot situation
    next to Mandrake: both OS's on the same HDD and at boot the the option of
    MS lets Windows understand Linux <g>), I could bring data from Win over to
    Linux while in Linux, which was good for the conversion stage moving to
    Linux.

    > [1] http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

    The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that order. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 8, 2006
  6. Re: SuSE and Mandriva

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >> That Linux distro 'quiz'[1] recommended that
    >> I use Mandriva when I took the test a couple of days ago.

    >> [1] http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

    > The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that
    > order. :)

    I think the quiz results are pretty good. It recommended Gentoo as the
    best distro for me but warned me that I was too newbish for Gentoo. I
    reckon it was right on both counts.

    --
    »Q«
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=, Jan 8, 2006
  7. Re: SuSE and Mandriva (Was: Adsense Gadget)

    __/ [Blinky the Shark] on Sunday 08 January 2006 08:05 \__

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> __/ [Blinky the Shark] on Saturday 07 January 2006 19:08 \__

    >>> Thanks. I'm also running SuSE 10.0, but Mandriva is here, on my
    >>> primary box.

    >> What do you think of SuSE? That Linux distro 'quiz'[1] recommended that
    >> I use Mandriva when I took the test a couple of days ago.

    > I don't have a huge impression, yet. The install required less user
    > input; but that's because there was no chance to customize it.

    True. You can always go back to YaST and install whatever you fancy. By
    default, plenty of the basic 'stuff' gets installed. SuSE is trying not to
    confuse the amateur user and be the least verbose. it's a positive thing.
    Ubuntu is even worse/better (i.e. quiet, depends on one's preferences).

    > Other than
    > that, I've been getting used to files being in different places and stuff
    > like that, and learning my way around the YaST equivalent of Mandriva's
    > Mandrake Control Center, both of which are kind of like Win's Control
    > Panel.

    True, but there is also the issue of adaptation and orientation. The menus
    are logically build, somewhat hierarchically. That kind of computer
    'taxonomy' is rather innate, so it is not a matter of emulating or imitating
    Control Panel by any means. In fact, Windows probably copied these from the
    Mac. Most of the look-and-feel is argued to be so.

    Locations of files are canonical. A quick Web search could immediately
    provide the 'bridge' and knowing the variants of common paths is a valued
    skill (see more below).

    > And loading software, of course. I have mail and news clients set
    > up and running -- that was just fiddly work, as they're the same ones I
    > use here in Mandrake. All that said, it looks fine and the only reason I
    > favor Mandrake is because I've been using it for a few years and I'd never
    > seen SuSE until last week or so. Had it been the other way around, I'd be
    > more comfortable with SuSE. I've also been playing with a live CD of
    > Knoppix, and a couple days ago I got a copy of Kubuntu (live/install, take
    > your pick), which I'd ordered along with the new Open Office 2.0.0.

    Knowing many distribution is a useful exercise. It does not take more than a
    few days to get a 'taste' of each. As you are dealing with various KDE-based
    distributions, the difference is probably minor for most things.

    > As for your test results, Mandriva is considered about the most
    > Linux-newbie friendly (it had that distinction as Mandrake, before the
    > merver with Connectiva last year). And that's why *I* started with it,
    > when I moved. I kept Windows for about a year, in a dual-boot situation
    > next to Mandrake: both OS's on the same HDD and at boot the the option of
    > MS lets Windows understand Linux <g>), I could bring data from Win over to
    > Linux while in Linux, which was good for the conversion stage moving to
    > Linux.
    >
    >> [1] http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

    > The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that order. :)

    If you ever wish to move files from Linux to Windows, you can do that rather
    easily. I was in that very same situation a year ago, before all computers
    and partitions turned Linux (ReiserFS).

    http://p-nand-q.com/download/rfstool.html
    http://yareg.akucom.de/index.html#DOWNLOAD (.NET GUI to the above)

    These can make your life a lot easier if you cannot afford to strip Windows
    off one partition, but still wish to use its available disk space.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "These characters were randomly picked"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Roy Schestowitz, Jan 8, 2006
  8. Re: SuSE and Mandriva (Was: Adsense Gadget)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > __/ [Blinky the Shark] on Sunday 08 January 2006 08:05 \__
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> __/ [Blinky the Shark] on Saturday 07 January 2006 19:08 \__

    >>> What do you think of SuSE? That Linux distro 'quiz'[1] recommended that
    >>> I use Mandriva when I took the test a couple of days ago.

    >> I don't have a huge impression, yet. The install required less user
    >> input; but that's because there was no chance to customize it.

    > True. You can always go back to YaST and install whatever you fancy. By
    > default, plenty of the basic 'stuff' gets installed. SuSE is trying not to
    > confuse the amateur user and be the least verbose. it's a positive thing.
    > Ubuntu is even worse/better (i.e. quiet, depends on one's preferences).

    I don't see it as positive when Mandrake's approach is to offer a list
    like:

    [ ] graphics workstation
    [ ] network workstation
    [ ] office workstation

    ....and let you check what you want to do. How can "what do you want to
    do?" boggle a newb? Sure, he can also choose to instead pick all the
    packages he wants installed from The Big List of what's included with the
    distribution media. But he doesn't have to; he can just check off areas
    from the list I just incompletely approximated and let Mandrake install
    what he'll probably need.

    >> Other than
    >> that, I've been getting used to files being in different places and
    >> stuff like that, and learning my way around the YaST equivalent of
    >> Mandriva's Mandrake Control Center, both of which are kind of like
    >> Win's Control Panel.

    > True, but there is also the issue of adaptation and orientation. The
    > menus are logically build, somewhat hierarchically. That kind of
    > computer 'taxonomy' is rather innate, so it is not a matter of emulating
    > or imitating Control Panel by any means. In fact, Windows probably
    > copied these from the Mac. Most of the look-and-feel is argued to be so.

    > Locations of files are canonical. A quick Web search could immediately

    And, as I said, different by distribution, in some cases.

    > provide the 'bridge' and knowing the variants of common paths is a
    > valued skill (see more below).

    I didn't say I was afraid of SuSE. I just mentioned some of my first
    impressions. And I didn't say any of them were deal breakers. :)

    >> And loading software, of course. I have mail and news clients set up
    >> and running -- that was just fiddly work, as they're the same ones I
    >> use here in Mandrake. All that said, it looks fine and the only reason
    >> I favor Mandrake is because I've been using it for a few years and I'd
    >> never seen SuSE until last week or so. Had it been the other way
    >> around, I'd be more comfortable with SuSE. I've also been playing with
    >> a live CD of Knoppix, and a couple days ago I got a copy of Kubuntu
    >> (live/install, take your pick), which I'd ordered along with the new
    >> Open Office 2.0.0.

    > Knowing many distribution is a useful exercise. It does not take more
    > than a few days to get a 'taste' of each. As you are dealing with
    > various KDE-based distributions, the difference is probably minor for
    > most things.

    Isn't SuSE (which offers both KDE and Gnome) more Gnomey thatn KDEish?

    >> As for your test results, Mandriva is considered about the most
    >> Linux-newbie friendly (it had that distinction as Mandrake, before the
    >> merver with Connectiva last year). And that's why *I* started with it,
    >> when I moved. I kept Windows for about a year, in a dual-boot
    >> situation next to Mandrake: both OS's on the same HDD and at boot the
    >> the option of loading either one. And since Linux understands MS file
    >> systems (not that MS lets Windows understand Linux <g>), I could bring
    >> data from Win over to Linux while in Linux, which was good for the
    >> conversion stage moving to Linux.
    >>
    >>> [1] http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

    >> The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that order.
    >> :)

    > If you ever wish to move files from Linux to Windows, you can do that
    > rather easily. I was in that very same situation a year ago, before all
    > computers and partitions turned Linux (ReiserFS).

    I've been moving them back and forth since 200...er...2002, I think.

    > http://p-nand-q.com/download/rfstool.html
    > http://yareg.akucom.de/index.html#DOWNLOAD (.NET GUI to the above)
    >
    > These can make your life a lot easier if you cannot afford to strip
    > Windows off one partition, but still wish to use its available disk
    > space.

    I'll check those out when I have more time than I do tonight -- thanks.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 9, 2006
  9. Re: SuSE and Mandriva

    »Q« wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >
    >>> That Linux distro 'quiz'[1] recommended that I use Mandriva when I took
    >>> the test a couple of days ago.

    >>> [1] http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

    >> The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that order.
    >> :)

    > I think the quiz results are pretty good. It recommended Gentoo as the
    > best distro for me but warned me that I was too newbish for Gentoo. I
    > reckon it was right on both counts.

    I should know the answer to this question, but I'm sorry to say that I
    don't: have you done any Linux yet?

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 9, 2006
  10. Blinky the Shark

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: SuSE and Mandriva (Was: Adsense Gadget)

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the Shark
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    [http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/]
    > The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that order. :)

    Ditto. :) I haven't seen SuSE, but have been using Mandrake/Mandriva
    for a couple of years, and have yet to find a good reason to change.
    Haven't got 2006 yet - much of a difference/improvement from 2005?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:
    Mark Parnell, Jan 9, 2006
  11. Re: SuSE and Mandriva

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > »Q« wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >>> The test results for me: Mandriva, SuSE and Open SuSe, in that
    >>> order.
    >>> :)

    >> I think the quiz results are pretty good. It recommended Gentoo
    >> as the best distro for me but warned me that I was too newbish
    >> for Gentoo. I reckon it was right on both counts.

    > I should know the answer to this question, but I'm sorry to say
    > that I don't: have you done any Linux yet?

    Yeah, I use Gentoo.

    --
    »Q«
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=, Jan 9, 2006
  12. Blinky the Shark

    Guest

    , Jan 22, 2006
  13. Blinky the Shark

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: SuSE and Mandriva (Was: Adsense Gadget)

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > You could find information about adsense in:

    <snip url>

    Um, and that has *what* to do with my post about SuSE/Mandriva?

    Mark Parnell, Jan 22, 2006