Adsense Preview Tool: See what adsense shown on any URL

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Looking, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. Looking

    Looking Guest

    Looking, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Looking

    Heidi Guest

    Looking wrote:
    : Go to
    : http://www.edealseek.com/hosting/preview.pl
    : Enter any URL
    :
    : Have Fun

    Have fun with what? It doesn't work...

    Message from your page:

    There is an error while accessing the page you requested. Most likely the
    page is moved.
    Please use our main page: <url snipped>

    Thank you for visiting.

    Heidi, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Looking

    Looking Guest

    > : Go to
    > : http://www.edealseek.com/hosting/preview.pl
    > : Enter any URL
    > :
    > : Have Fun
    >
    > Have fun with what? It doesn't work...
    >
    > Message from your page:
    >
    > There is an error while accessing the page you requested. Most likely the
    > page is moved.
    > Please use our main page: <url snipped>
    >
    > Thank you for visiting.

    I am pretty sure it is working. Remember to set the COUNTRY when you
    preview, because
    Adsense displays differently based on the location of the viewer.

    Looking, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Looking

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 00:06:06 GMT, Looking <> wrote:

    > Go to
    > http://www.edealseek.com/hosting/preview.pl
    > Enter any URL
    >
    > Have Fun

    I don't get it. What is this telling me?

    I entered opro.org and US, and I get O-Pro Mouthguards. That is nonsense.

    Neal, Sep 15, 2004
  5. Looking

    Looking Guest

    > > Go to
    > > http://www.edealseek.com/hosting/preview.pl
    > > Enter any URL
    > >
    > > Have Fun
    > >

    > I don't get it. What is this telling me?
    >
    > I entered opro.org and US, and I get O-Pro Mouthguards. That is nonsense.

    If you see
    O-Pro Mouthguards
    The worlds favorite mouthguards
    Custom fitted for comfort & safety

    That is exactly what will be shown as now if you place adsense on your
    site. It will change within 10 hours.

    If the URL is from a not so popular site or the URL does not currently have
    adsense, then google needs 1 second to 10 hours before it can understand the
    content. If you retry later then you will get better results matching the
    content better.

    For example, before July, it takes about 30 minutes. In July and August, it
    takes 1 second. In September, Google changed algorithms again. If you follow
    adsense/adwords closely, you will see the difference.

    The program is always correct, because it has premium connection to Adsense
    database which can display up to 20 ads rather than the regular 5 ads per
    showing.

    Looking, Sep 15, 2004
  6. On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:38:59 -0400, Neal wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 00:06:06 GMT, Looking <> wrote:
    >
    >> Go to
    >> http://www.edealseek.com/hosting/preview.pl
    >> Enter any URL

    > I don't get it. What is this telling me?

    I have adsense on my sites as well, for
    a number of reasons. When I was considering
    introducing ad-sense, I was curious as to what
    forms of ads it would produce with my sites.

    This tool may have given me some idea, but..

    > I entered opro.org and US, and I get O-Pro Mouthguards. That is nonsense.

    When a page is first served ads, Google
    does the best it can to quickly analyse the
    page and give the most appropriate ads.

    I must assume that opro.org has already
    been indexed by Google, because the first ads
    that show for my own pages were basically
    'public service announcements', though now
    that Google has got used to my sites they will
    generally serve ads generic to the subject
    (Java, or whatever..)

    I think we can conclude that 'Google will
    not server the most appropriate ads for
    opro.org' and that some tuning of the ads
    would be required.

    It is of less use to *new* and unindexed pages
    as you would generally get the public service ads.

    ...or what? Is this an 'everybody that
    uses ad-sense is evil' thing, Neal? ;-)

    [ F'Ups set to c.l.j. as my news-reader whines
    at me if I cross-post, and especially if I
    cross-post to invalid groups. ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 15, 2004
  7. Looking

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 04:03:21 GMT, Looking <> wrote:

    > If you see
    > O-Pro Mouthguards
    > The worlds favorite mouthguards
    > Custom fitted for comfort & safety
    >
    > That is exactly what will be shown as now if you place adsense on your
    > site. It will change within 10 hours.
    >
    > If the URL is from a not so popular site or the URL does not currently
    > have
    > adsense, then google needs 1 second to 10 hours before it can understand
    > the
    > content. If you retry later then you will get better results matching the
    > content better.

    So... if I were to try again in the morning, the results may vary?

    > For example, before July, it takes about 30 minutes. In July and August,
    > it
    > takes 1 second. In September, Google changed algorithms again. If you
    > follow
    > adsense/adwords closely, you will see the difference.

    I guess, because I have seen no need to use Adwords, it must not be
    relevant to me. Thanks anyhow.

    Can you give an example for where this would be advantageous?

    Neal, Sep 15, 2004
  8. Looking

    Heidi Guest

    Looking wrote:
    : I am pretty sure it is working. Remember to set the COUNTRY when you
    : preview, becauseAdsense displays differently based on the location of the
    viewer.

    Well it is now but It definitely was not before...

    --
    Heidi
    http://stores.ebay.com/id=18489075

    Heidi, Sep 15, 2004
  9. On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:36:59 GMT, Looking wrote:

    > Remember to set the COUNTRY when you preview, because
    > Adsense displays differently based on the location of the viewer.

    I do not think your drop-down select
    is very intuitive the way it is.

    I suggest you delete the first (useless)
    value and have it default to the US,
    but to put a message on the final page..

    "The ads supplied for this site
    assuming it is coming off a server
    in <em>TheSelectedCountry</em>. For
    other locales, please select a different
    country in the drop-down list."

    F'Ups set to c.l.j ..again.

    BTW. Is there any actual *relevance* to JS
    in this post? Everything that is done on the
    page could be done in any number of server-side
    scripting languages.. and I can see it is
    a .pl extension, with no JS (excepting the
    google ads themselves in the page). Or is it
    just that the Google ads themselves use JS?

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 15, 2004
  10. Looking

    Looking Guest

    > > If you see
    > > O-Pro Mouthguards
    > > The worlds favorite mouthguards
    > > Custom fitted for comfort & safety
    > >
    > > That is exactly what will be shown as now if you place adsense on your
    > > site. It will change within 10 hours.
    > >
    > > If the URL is from a not so popular site or the URL does not currently
    > > have
    > > adsense, then google needs 1 second to 10 hours before it can understand
    > > the
    > > content. If you retry later then you will get better results matching

    the
    > > content better.

    > So... if I were to try again in the morning, the results may vary?
    >
    > > For example, before July, it takes about 30 minutes. In July and August,
    > > it
    > > takes 1 second. In September, Google changed algorithms again. If you
    > > follow
    > > adsense/adwords closely, you will see the difference.

    > I guess, because I have seen no need to use Adwords, it must not be
    > relevant to me. Thanks anyhow.
    >
    > Can you give an example for where this would be advantageous?

    use this url http://www.opro.org
    then you get this:
    http://www.edealseek.com/hosting/preview.pl?url=http://www.opro.org&gl=us
    which shows
    newyork.citysearch.com Symphony orchestra Looking for great local music.
    Search for venues and times now. New York, NY www.LondonTown.com 70% off
    London Hotels Find a cheaper deal and we pay you! Compare prices and book
    direct. eMusic.com Bbc Symphony Orchestra Get 50 Free MP3s! Free 2-week
    trial Just $9.99/month after Free Trial www.BMGMusic.com Studio Orchestra
    Get 12 CDs for just the price of 1 It's A Great Deal. Act Quickly! aff
    www.myauditions.com MyAuditions - Music Jobs Performing Arts Career
    Resources Orchestra, Education & Arts Jobs www.merionsymphony.org Musicians
    Needed. We need volunteers to join the Lower Merion Symphony Orchestra.
    ebay.com Ebay: Register Free Now Register Right Now At eBay. Free Offer.
    Don't Miss Out! (aff) www.amazon.com Orchestra : The LSO Get Richard
    Morrison's new book at 30% off from Amazon! (Aff.) www.ebay.com Music at
    eBay Mantovani Orchestra Millions of items daily. Aff www.cdconnection.com
    Mantovani Orchestra CDs Big choice of Mantovani Orchestra CDs in stock at
    discount prices! www.vistavera.com Khachaturyan Centenary CD Concert by
    Tchaikovsky Symphony orchestra. Vladimir Fedoseyev. www.nord-disc.com Royal
    Scottish Orchestra John Varineau / Neil Mantle Erlkonig, Liberty Bell, Civil
    War www.classictic.com Vienna Orpheus Orchestra Classical Concerts Vienna
    Order without handling fees! www.arkivmusic.com Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
    Every recording in print available. Buy them at ArkivMusic.com.

    I hope this one matches better with your content

    Looking, Sep 15, 2004
  11. Looking

    Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    >That is exactly what will be shown as now if you place adsense on your
    >site. It will change within 10 hours.

    Guessing how you've coded this, there's one possible small variation
    in your emulator and AdSense's actual behaviour.

    AdSense uses its own spiders, not the main GoogleBot. These have
    different behaviours and may be influenced by separate robots.txt
    rules. In most cases there's no difference, but if you place ads on a
    page from a phpBB board, AdSense makes some effort to avoid
    influencing its ad selections by transient (and potentially hostile)
    board postings. I'm not Google, and so I don't know the exact
    details, but AdSense will try to default to sensible behaviour for the
    site, not tailored to that page.

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Sep 15, 2004
  12. Looking

    Heidi Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    : Guessing how you've coded this, there's one possible small variation
    : in your emulator and AdSense's actual behaviour.
    :
    : AdSense uses its own spiders, not the main GoogleBot. These have
    : different behaviours and may be influenced by separate robots.txt
    : rules. In most cases there's no difference, but if you place ads on a
    : page from a phpBB board, AdSense makes some effort to avoid
    : influencing its ad selections by transient (and potentially hostile)
    : board postings. I'm not Google, and so I don't know the exact
    : details, but AdSense will try to default to sensible behaviour for the
    : site, not tailored to that page.

    Well I don't know. I have had adsense on one domain for a while now
    and when I put that url in the adsense tester it did show the same ads
    as were shown on my existing site.

    I would say then it does pretty good in matching it up. I have bookmarked it
    anyway but I just hope it doesn't soon vanish like the others have...
    *wonders
    why they disappeared suddenly*

    Heidi, Sep 15, 2004
  13. Charles Sweeney, Sep 16, 2004
  14. Looking

    Heidi Guest

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    : How's the store doing?
    :
    : Would you recommend such a thing to fledgling net sellers?

    Well umm.. *goes to look* I have not sold anything yet...

    Would I recommend it? Yes and No...

    It is not an expensive monthly fee and your first month is free. Not sure
    how long they will keep offering that and AFAIK it is only with the basic
    store.

    The best thing is how much you save listing items in your store vs. listing
    them
    at auction.

    In listing fees saved I have already made up the first month of the store
    fees when
    they do charge me and I will likely double that amount saved soon because I
    am going
    to be listing a lot more.

    To put it plainly listing a 7 day auction for all items I have would have
    cost me $60.00 US.
    Listing the same things in the store for 30 days will only cost me $4.00 US.
    Quite a significant difference.

    For a fledgling though I would recommend they learn some things first and do
    the research.
    What is selling, what is the best price to ask since stores work on fixed
    price and of course
    how much competition is there for the item(s) you are considering on
    selling.

    Lastly if they were going to go the ebay route whether or not they already
    had a product line
    to sell I would recommend getting the Auctions For Income system found oddly
    enough at
    http://www.auctionsforincome.com/

    That is the only one I would recommend and I would not recommend any of the
    'imitations'
    I found a lot of useful information in those manuals. Some ideas that are
    great which I had
    not thought of.

    So now that I have made the longest post on usenet I have in a good long
    time... *grin*
    I will end it. Yes an ebay store is recommended if they are willing to do
    the work and the
    research. Also of course the advertising legwork. :)

    Heidi, Sep 16, 2004
  15. Heidi wrote:

    > So now that I have made the longest post on usenet I have in a good
    > long time...

    He he, I noticed!

    Thank you for a top-quality answer!

    Good luck with the store.