[ADV] New Agile Web Development with Rails beta

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Dave Thomas, Oct 12, 2006.

  1. Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas Guest

    Folks:

    I've uploaded the B1.14 version of AWDwR.

    The only major change here is a revamp of the Action Mailer chapter,
    and the
    removal of the Web Services chapter.

    I'm still in two minds about the latter: it's a great chapter, but
    the core team
    seem to be deemphasizing Action Web Service, and the book is already
    longer than
    I'd like. My plan is to put the existing Web Services chapter up for
    free at
    some point so you can still get to the content.

    Again, I need to stress that the book is written on the assumption
    that the reader has
    Rails 1.2 installed. As that doesn't yet exist, you HAVE TO HAVE EDGE
    RAILS
    for some of this stuff to work. Some folks like the following
    description
    of working with Edge:

    http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2006/07/11/installing-and-managing-
    edge-rails/

    As usual, the update is available for free from

    http://books.pragprog.com/titles/rails2/reorder

    Enter just two of the three pieces of information to identify your PDF.
    I recommend using your order number and your email address, as these
    tend
    to be be the most consistent.

    Thanks for your support for this project. Keep the comments
    coming in.

    Cheers

    Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas, Oct 12, 2006

  2. Dave,

    Thanks very much for your fantastic book - it got me hooked on RoR and
    Ruby and I've always been a hardcore Perler.

    I'm a bit worried though about the future of Web Services in RoR,
    something I use extensively. What's the story?

    Bealach

    Bealach Na Bo, Oct 19, 2006

  3. Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Oct 19, 2006, at 1:41 AM, Bealach Na Bo wrote:

    > I'm a bit worried though about the future of Web Services in RoR,
    > something I use extensively. What's the story?

    You'll need to ask the core team. Right now, they're hot on REST, and
    feel that this is the best way to implement inter-application
    communication in Rails. However, that doesn't help when talking to
    the legacy world.

    Because of that, I've added the Web Services chapter back into the
    latest beta, released yesterday.

    I don't think web services support is going away. It's possible that
    it might become a plugin in Rails 2.0.

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Press any key, not any key + enter

    Greetings

    Use case: Press any key to ...

    Using gets or getc the user must press enter, how can I read any single
    keypress without waiting for the enter-key.

    All the best
    JE

    --
    Jon Egil Strand

    Jon Egil Strand, Oct 21, 2006
  5. Re: Press any key, not any key + enter

    Hi,

    In message "Re: Press any key, not any key + enter"
    on Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:34:41 +0900, Jon Egil Strand <> writes:

    |Use case: Press any key to ...
    |
    |Using gets or getc the user must press enter, how can I read any single
    |keypress without waiting for the enter-key.

    Platform please.

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Oct 21, 2006
  6. Re: Press any key, not any key + enter

    > |Using gets or getc the user must press enter, how can I read any single
    > |keypress without waiting for the enter-key.
    >
    > Platform please.

    Primary: linux (ubuntu)
    Secondary: WinXP

    ruby 1.8.4 on both

    matz - thank you for your brilliant work on ruby, it's really appreciated.
    Also, it's wonderful that you stop by ruby-talk as well.

    All the best
    Jon Egil Strand

    --
    Jon Egil Strand
    Phone: +47 98232340

    Jon Egil Strand, Oct 21, 2006
  7. Dave Thomas

    Gene Tani Guest

    Gene Tani, Oct 21, 2006
  8. Jon Egil Strand, Oct 22, 2006
  9. Re: Press any key, not any key + enter

    On Oct 21, 2006, at 2:34 AM, Jon Egil Strand wrote:

    > Greetings
    >
    > Use case: Press any key to ...
    >
    > Using gets or getc the user must press enter, how can I read any
    > single
    > keypress without waiting for the enter-key.

    http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/10/01/i-just-want-one-
    character

    Hope that helps.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Oct 22, 2006
  10. Jon Egil Strand, Oct 22, 2006
  11. Dave Thomas

    Gene Tani Guest

    Jon Egil Strand wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Gene Tani wrote:
    > >
    > > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/b018660fe6a48ca4?hl=en
    > >

    > Gene
    >
    > Thank you for the link. It was both enlightening and a bit discouraging,
    > but it points me in the right direction.

    you could also look at the python approaches in Win32 and *nix:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-August/355683.html
    http://docs.python.org/lib/msvcrt-console.html

    http://pyfaq.infogami.com/how-do-i-get-a-single-keypress-at-a-time
    http://pyfaq.infogami.com/how-do-i-check-for-a-keypress-without-blocking