Advacnced C

Sjouke Burry

Antoninus said:
Exactly.

A message from Heathfield nine years ago promoting his book in this
group would be completely unremarkable, certainly nothing to hang, draw
and quarter him for, if it weren't for two things:

1) He accuses you of "spamming", when he has done exactly the same thing
himself. This is HYPOCRISY. (Of course, there is the obvious difference
that you distribute your compiler free for personal use, whereas
Heathfield stood to gain financially from every copy of his book.)

2) Even when faced with incontrovertible proof that he posted such a
message, he still says "there was certainly never such a claim". This is
LYING.

Once again:

PLONK

Nick

Sjouke Burry said:

A couple of his posts today were half way sensible. But the
nutty-rantings-to-common-sense ratio is clearly well below 0.05.

pow(PLONK,2)

Seebs

My compiler is about C... at least it is a C compiler, but
I can't speak about it here...
Obviously I am not against heathfield speaking about his book,
I would like to speak about my compiler without being accused of
being a shrewd business man etc etc.

There is a fuzzy boundary between discussion and spam. I have not seen a
post from you about your compiler which I thought crossed to the spam side
of that line. If you were posting big announce messages full of marketing
gibberish about your compiler in response to such events as "it's been
three days since I posted an ad", then sure, that'd be spam. If people
ask about Windows compilers and you mention yours, I don't see a problem.
You're an active participant in the group, your compiler seems to be
of potential interest, and questions of "how have particular implementations
handled this common case" strike me as of some general interest.

I'm aware that you've made a couple of posts which seemed reasonable to
me, which someone or other attacked as being like "spam". I did not share
that evaluation, myself.

Sometimes, on Usenet, you just have to ignore a few people. :)

-s

Sjouke Burry

Richard said:
It's a sign of you being incredibly stupid, incredibly naive or just a
closed minded arsehole that you hide behind killfiles.

Advertising to the world who you have killfiled marks you as another
self important imbecile. You are in good company in c.l.c!
Sorry Richard, the plonk is for getting fed up with a few
wining regulars.
You should take another look at your behavior, it comes as
close to trolling as is possible without actually becoming so.
If you are unable to see that, get new glasses :)

Seebs

You should take another look at your behavior, it comes as
close to trolling as is possible without actually becoming so.

How do you figure it's not trolling? Actual contributions nil, picking
fights and insulting people, 100%. Sounds like trolling to me...

I don't see any problem with using a killfile; describing it as "hiding"
is ridiculous. If my killfile prevented other people from seeing posts
I didn't like, then maybe it would be hiding. As is, it's just saving time,
same as filtering out spam from any other data stream.

-s

Nick Keighley

Richard a écrit :

My compiler is about C... at least it is a C compiler, but
I can't speak about it here...

Obviously I am not against heathfield speaking about his book,
I would like to speak about my compiler without being accused of
being a shrewd business man etc etc.

othr compilers get mentioned. I don't see why your's shouldn't. And
experience of implementing C seems very relevent here.

Nick Keighley

Sorry Richard, the plonk is for getting fed up with a few
wining regulars.
You should take another look at your behavior, it comes as
close to trolling as is possible without actually becoming so.
If you are unable to see that, get new glasses :)

I don't see Richard no-name's posts even approaching spam. Spam is off
topic and repetitive. You (or I) may not agree with his views but it
isn't spam. I post via google and I see a fair amount of spam. Trust
me, richard doesn't come close to qualifying.

Flash Gordon

Nick said:
othr compilers get mentioned. I don't see why your's shouldn't. And
experience of implementing C seems very relevent here.

Jacob does not get complained at for mentioning it. It's when he states
"free" without qualification, when it is only free for personal use. If
he stated free for personal use, and his stake it in, when he replied to
others asking for compilers there would be no complaint (at least, none
from me).

Keith Thompson

Apparently jacob thinks that "shrewd business man" is an insult. Not
that it matters, since I don't recall anyone making that particular
accusation against him.
Jacob does not get complained at for mentioning it. It's when he
states "free" without qualification, when it is only free for personal
use. If he stated free for personal use, and his stake it in, when he
replied to others asking for compilers there would be no complaint (at
least, none from me).

He also tends to push his compiler's non-standard extensions.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with such extensions, but they
aren't C (unless he's advocating them as changes to the C standard,
which is perfectly appropriate, especially in comp.std.c).

Nick Keighley

Jacob does not get complained at for mentioning it.

he does actually. Wrongly IMO.
It's when he states
"free" without qualification, when it is only free for personal use.

I've picked him up on this (which he doesn't like).

janus

Hello All,

Could someone explain stringizing and concatenating using # and ## in
macro? And what other special stuff could be done inside macro with
arguments? I need examples.

Janus

Mark Bluemel

Hello All,

Could someone explain stringizing and concatenating using # and ## in
macro? And what other special stuff could be done inside macro with
arguments? I need examples.

Janus

This would probably be better addressed as a new topic rather than
burying the question in a long, rather noisy, thread.

You could look at the FAQs. Although the normal location for them
seems to have gone AWOL, there are archives - you may find
http://web.archive.org/web/20080618001636/c-faq.com/cpp/index.html
helpful.

Ben Bacarisse

When you ask a new question, it is better to start a new thread.
Could someone explain stringizing and concatenating using # and ## in
macro? And what other special stuff could be done inside macro with
arguments? I need examples.

Apart from the normal use of the parameters # and ## are all you can
do. Did you try any examples? It is not hard to come up with simple
ones.

Suppose you have 10 test functions called sort_method_0, sort_method_1
and so on along with a function time_sort that times the function
(pointer) passed to it. Your tests might look like this:

printf("Time for sort_method_0: %f.\n", time_sort(sort_method_0));
printf("Time for sort_method_1: %f.\n", time_sort(sort_method_1));
/* ... */

You can write the with macros so that the pattern can be easily
changed:

#define TEST(fn) printf("Time for sort_function_" #fn ": %f.\n",\
time_sort(F_NAME(sort_method_, fn))

#define F_NAME(prefix, suffix) prefix ## suffix

TEST(0);
TEST(1);
/* ... */

Flash Gordon

Nick said:
he does actually. Wrongly IMO.

I can't remember seeing such complaints, but my memory is not perfect. I
only remember him being complained at for the sorts of reasons I
mentioned. Oh, and for talking about his extensions here, and for
pushing them.

jacob navia

Flash Gordon a écrit :
I can't remember seeing such complaints, but my memory is not perfect. I
only remember him being complained at for the sorts of reasons I
mentioned. Oh, and for talking about his extensions here, and for
pushing them.

Yes, you seem to have Alzheimer disease...

Thousands of posts like this one
<quote>
Francine.Neary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote: (2007/08/31)

It's clear that people are just wasting their time and energy by
pointing out when Jacob's posts are off-topic, as he places
advertising his compiler above any consideration for other readers of
this newsgroup. (My own feeling, btw, is that he shows signs of being
mentally unstable and deserves pity not scorn.)
<end quote>

In the same thread heathfield says:

<quote>
He's been told many times that suggestions
about changes to the language belong in comp.std.c; anyone who is
incapable of absorbing and acting upon information as simple as that is
probably also incapable of coming up with a sensible proposal for
language change.
> Your comments will
> be taken more seriously after you give the group a look at the C
> implementation you wrote.

As far as this newsgroup is aware, all Mr Navia has done is to take an
existing implementation and tweak it a bit. On one occasion (IIRC), he
claimed that he has now re-written the entire thing, but it is far from
clear whether this is actually the case. Since the source code is not
available for inspection, it is difficult to check the claim. Since Mr
Navia often posts code here that doesn't even compile, let's just say
that I'm sceptical.

For the record, I take Francine's comments far more seriously than I
take Mr Navia's comments.
<end quote>

THOUSANDS OF LONG INSULT POSTS THAT HEATHFIELD AND CO NOW
"forget" where you also participated.

Kenny McCormack

Richard said:
Flash is better ignored. He rarely contributes anything other than the
occasional butt kiss to the c.l.c hierarchy.

In fact, Flash is certifiably insane. All you have to do to check this
claim is look at his posting history.
You mention your compiler all you like. Its C related. And this is a C
newsgroup.

Indeed. Quite.

Keith Thompson

jacob navia said:
Flash Gordon a écrit :

Yes, you seem to have Alzheimer disease...

Was that really necessary?
Thousands of posts like this one
<quote>
Francine.Neary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote: (2007/08/31) [snip]

In the same thread heathfield says: [snip]
<end quote>

It's difficult to judge the quoted material without context. Can you
provide message-ids and/or Google Groups URLS?

I agree that some of the criticism directed again you has been
excessive. Francine Neary's post *appears* to be one such case.
THOUSANDS OF LONG INSULT POSTS THAT HEATHFIELD AND CO NOW
"forget" where you also participated.

Thousands? I don't think so.

(Incidentally, I thought your post today to comp.std.c, advocating
operator overloading and presenting lcc-win as an example of an
existing implementation, was perfectly appropriate, and I hope it
leads to a productive discussion.)

Antoninus Twink

Was that really necessary?

You have to admit, Keith, that forgetfulness seems to be a big problem
among the clc regulars - like Heathfield, who "can't remember"
advertising his book here, and "can't remember" bringing his god into
threads on technical subjects.

Yes, almost uncanny how people do things and then "can't remember" them
when they get called on them...
It's difficult to judge the quoted material without context. Can you
provide message-ids and/or Google Groups URLS?

"He shows signs of being mentally unstable and deserves pity not scorn".

What context, exactly, do you think could make that a reasonable
comment?

Come on Keith, enlighten us.
I agree that some of the criticism directed again you has been
excessive.
[snip]

(Incidentally, I thought your post today to comp.std.c, advocating
operator overloading and presenting lcc-win as an example of an
existing implementation, was perfectly appropriate, and I hope it
leads to a productive discussion.)

Anyone else thinking that Thomson and Heathfield are playing good-cop
bad-cop with Jacob here? Either way, this last comment is horribly
patronizing.

Flash Gordon

jacob said:
Flash Gordon a écrit :

Yes, you seem to have Alzheimer disease...

No, and you have no cause for making such a claim.
Thousands of posts like this one

Yet the ones you find are from over two years ago.
<quote>
Francine.Neary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote: (2007/08/31)

It's clear that people are just wasting their time and energy by
pointing out when Jacob's posts are off-topic, as he places
advertising his compiler above any consideration for other readers of
this newsgroup. (My own feeling, btw, is that he shows signs of being
mentally unstable and deserves pity not scorn.)
<end quote>

In the same thread heathfield says:

You provide no context for this quote, no subject line, no message ID
thus making it very hard for anyone to find the context. It could easily
be in response to you making posts of the type I described, rather than
making reasonable
<quote>
He's been told many times that suggestions
about changes to the language belong in comp.std.c; anyone who is
incapable of absorbing and acting upon information as simple as that is
probably also incapable of coming up with a sensible proposal for
language change.

That isn't referring to whether you can or should mention your compiler
here. However, if it's the same thread it suggests that you were pushing
your extensions, which are a different matter entirely.
As far as this newsgroup is aware, all Mr Navia has done is to take an
existing implementation and tweak it a bit. On one occasion (IIRC), he
claimed that he has now re-written the entire thing, but it is far from
clear whether this is actually the case. Since the source code is not
available for inspection, it is difficult to check the claim. Since Mr
Navia often posts code here that doesn't even compile, let's just say
that I'm sceptical.

For the record, I take Francine's comments far more seriously than I
take Mr Navia's comments.
<end quote>

Again, that is not talking about whether posting about your compiler
here is reasonable.
THOUSANDS OF LONG INSULT POSTS THAT HEATHFIELD AND CO NOW
"forget" where you also participated.

Now show something where people were saying you should not post about
your *compiler* (rather than its extensions) here where it is
reasonable. Not your extensions, but your compiler. Posts where you do
NOT say simply that it is free, but where you say it is free for
*personal* use, and where you acknowledge you connection to it.

When you do so provide actual message IDs, then people can actually see
what you are talking about.

I agree there are probably thousands of posts you consider to be
insulting you, since you take any criticism of anything you have done as
an insult. However, you make what you consider to be deliberate insults,
such as claiming I have alzhiemers, so you can hardly complain if
someone posts something you consider to be insulting to you.