    good "C++ as a better C" programmer to someone expert enough to
    actively participate in this newsgroup, what book would it be ?

    -Vijay.

    Master of Puppets, Mar 2, 2005

  2. Master of Puppets wrote:
    > If you were to suggest ONE book (under $50) that can convert a very
    > good "C++ as a better C" programmer to someone expert enough to
    > actively participate in this newsgroup, what book would it be ?

    Read "The C++ Programming Language", (Special 3rd Edition) by Bjarne
    Stroustrup. You can get a used copy for under $50.

    BTW, as you can verify by reading my posts in the archives, you don't have to be
    an expert to actively particpate in this newsgroup. ;-)

    > -Vijay.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Turkanis, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Master of Puppets wrote:
    > If you were to suggest ONE book (under $50) that can convert a very
    > good "C++ as a better C" programmer to someone expert enough to
    > actively participate in this newsgroup, what book would it be ?

    "How To Win Friends And Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

    Participating in this newsgroup will make you expert enough if you
    pay attention and ask right questions in an acceptable manner.

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Master of Puppets

    BigBrian Guest

    IMHO, reading this newsgroup is better than a $50 book.

    BigBrian, Mar 3, 2005
  5. "BigBrian" <> wrote...
    > IMHO, reading this newsgroup is better than a $50 book.

    IMHO it isn't, and I've been doing both for some time now.

    The difference is that in this newsgroup there is no system,
    there is no order or sequence or continuity. And often there
    is too much noise here. Books, OTOH, are *usually* written
    to follow one system or another. And you can choose ones that
    have as little noise as possible for a book. Reading NGs
    complements reading books. And *usually* not vice versa.
    IMHO.

    Of course that's a bit of a digression from what the OP was
    asking about...

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 3, 2005
  6. Master of Puppets

    Alan Brown Guest

    "Master of Puppets" <> wrote in

    > If you were to suggest ONE book (under $50) that can convert a very
    > good "C++ as a better C" programmer to someone expert enough to
    > actively participate in this newsgroup, what book would it be ?
    >
    > -Vijay.

    Try "Professional C++"; Nicholas Solter & Scott Kleper; Wiley Publishing;
    2005

    Alan

    Alan Brown, Mar 3, 2005
  7. Master of Puppets wrote:

    > If you were to suggest ONE book (under $50) that can convert a very
    > good "C++ as a better C" programmer to someone expert enough to
    > actively participate in this newsgroup, what book would it be ?

    "Accelerated C++" by Andrew Koenig, Barbara Moo:

    http://www.acceleratedcpp.com

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys