Advanced CSS help needed with dropdown problem in IE 6 & 7

Discussion in 'HTML' started by poundcommapound@gmail.com, Feb 1, 2008.

    I'm working on a site that uses dropdown menus, and I'm having some
    trouble in IE. When you mouse over a menu header, the dropdown comes
    down as expected. However, as you move down the dropdown to select an
    item, the dropdown disappears as soon as the mouse hits the next
    element down (in my case, an h3). If I move the h3 down further, more
    of the dropdown is accessible, but that's not an option. Of course, FF
    and Safari display properly.

    Also worth noting is that if I set the dropdowns to be always visible,
    the problem doesn't happen - I can go up and down the menu without any
    problem - it only happens when the menu is set to disappear when it's
    hover condition is no longer met.

    There's a lot of code involved with this thing, so I didn't include it
    here. It'll probably be easier to firebug it or just look at the code.

    Anyone that could help would be my hero (and a genius, probably).
    Thanks!

    Here's the page link: http://s212807978.onlinehome.us/beta/training/index.html

    , Feb 1, 2008

  2. wrote:

    > I'm working on a site that uses dropdown menus, and I'm having some
    > trouble in IE. When you mouse over a menu header, the dropdown comes
    > down as expected. However, as you move down the dropdown to select an
    > item, the dropdown disappears as soon as the mouse hits the next
    > element down (in my case, an h3). If I move the h3 down further, more
    > of the dropdown is accessible, but that's not an option. Of course,
    > FF and Safari display properly.

    What happens if you remove the IE-specific style sheets?

    > Also worth noting is that if I set the dropdowns to be always
    > visible, the problem doesn't happen - I can go up and down the menu
    > without any problem - it only happens when the menu is set to
    > disappear when it's hover condition is no longer met.
    >
    > There's a lot of code involved with this thing, so I didn't include
    > it here. It'll probably be easier to firebug it or just look at the
    > code.
    >
    > Anyone that could help would be my hero (and a genius, probably).
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Here's the page link: http://s212807978.onlinehome.us/beta/training/index.html

    The validator says you have a missing </ul> on
    "Line 122, Column 4: end tag for "ul" which is not finished ."

    There are also several CSS errors listed by that validator. It also
    appears to be overly complex, making a quick troubleshoot quite
    difficult.

    Or maybe it has something to do with all the negative pixel margins all
    throughout your CSS. <boggle>

    Before you go much further, I feel you should fix the page so it is
    legible. I have to press Ctrl-Plus twice in order to read it.

    body { ...
    font-size: 50%;
    ... and
    font-size: 62.5%;

    Please see this page:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    You have no background color assigned to body.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 1, 2008

  3. Bergamot Guest

    wrote:

    > http://s212807978.onlinehome.us/beta/training/index.html

    NO NO NO NO!!!!

    body {
    font-size: 62.5%;
    }
    #content p {
    font-size: 1.3em;
    }

    You *MUST NOT* do this! If you're going to set type size to something
    smaller than 100%, for the love of &deity; don't do it this stupid way.

    Have some consideration for your users, please. Those of us who set a
    minimum font size in our browsers will appreciate it.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Feb 1, 2008
  4. Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 16:54:30
    GMT scribed:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm working on a site that uses dropdown menus, and I'm having some
    > trouble in IE. When you mouse over a menu header, the dropdown comes
    > down as expected. However, as you move down the dropdown to select an
    > item, the dropdown disappears as soon as the mouse hits the next
    > element down (in my case, an h3). If I move the h3 down further, more
    > of the dropdown is accessible, but that's not an option. Of course, FF
    > and Safari display properly.

    > Here's the page link:
    > http://s212807978.onlinehome.us/beta/training/index.html

    Don't see the problem. Did you mean ie6?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Feb 1, 2008