Advanced node structure design

Discussion in 'C++' started by ugly.creep@hotmail.com, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have the idea to build a library of classes to represent a node
    structure where:

    - nodes can store relations with other nodes that are not necessarily
    parent-child (but can be); the different relations of a node can be
    'queried'. A relation type might be related to a problem domain which
    is not relevant at this level.
    - nodes are part of a nodestructure (I could say 'tree', but it's not
    limited to parent-child only)
    - nodestructures can be compared
    - nodestructures can be large, and e.g. one large nodestructure
    original will reside in memory, and you can apply 'delta'
    nodestructures (i.e. changes to the large original nodestructure)
    - there's a generic interface that provides access to a nodestructure.
    'Delta' nodestructures are treated in a transparent way; accessors do
    not directly see a difference.

    I was just curious if there are similar implementations that might be
    of inspiration?

    I'm sure I would still have to provide my own implementation because
    the above leaves out a lot of additional functionality (such as node
    types, properties, etc.).

    I want to note that this will be C++ and will also rely on the stl and
    boost libraries.

    Feedback will be appreciated, thanks.

    Regards,

    E.
    , Jun 5, 2007

  2. ectoplasm Guest

    You're asking a very specific design solution. I'm guessing you have
    unmentioned criteria / requirements. How about listing all these for
    yourself, and also, *how* exactly would you like to USE such a data
    structure? (even exact syntax examples, or pseudo code) Write it all
    down. I'm guessing that will result in your design being 80% finished.
    And THEN you might come up with questions that apply in more general C+
    + design.
    ectoplasm, Jun 6, 2007