Advanced script shell alternative to WSH?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Paul E. Schoen, Jul 1, 2009.

  1. I have been frustrated with the limitations of the WSH for doing much more
    than automating simple tasks in a manner comparable to a batch file. An
    HTML document can provide the GUI that I may desire, with such items as
    text boxes and command buttons, but that requires loading it into a
    browser. In that environment many things like file I/O are very limited. So
    I was trying to conceive of an application that could read a script and/or
    perhaps HTML including script, and provide a simple window or form for
    various labels and controls as would be expected in an ordinary Windows
    application. The advantage would be that the resulting application could be
    easily modified as desired. This would be intended for use on a local
    machine and not as a web page.

    My first thought was to imagine how one could write such an application in
    something like Borland Delphi, and I could see how the HTML or script could
    be read line by line and interpreted and then executed by creating objects
    and using their properties and methods to build an application from the
    script. I suppose it is possible but it would be a daunting task.

    So I did a web search and I found this interesting product:
    http://canegor.campus.net.ru/gui_for_script/index.htm

    I'm not sure if it would do what I desire, but it looks to be useful. Does
    anyone have any experience with or opinions about this, or are there other
    scripting environments that would be appropriate? Otherwise, is it possible
    to display a plain form from a browser like IE7 without all the menus and
    other controls? Maybe open the browser minimized and create a blank window
    and then create text and controls in the new window?

    Paul
    Paul E. Schoen, Jul 1, 2009

  2. On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 20:36:22 +0000, Paul E. Schoen wrote:

    > I have been frustrated with the limitations of the WSH for doing much
    > more than automating simple tasks in a manner comparable to a batch
    > file. An HTML document can provide the GUI that I may desire, with such
    > items as text boxes and command buttons, but that requires loading it
    > into a browser.

    Look into HTA (HyperText Applications). They are, basically, LOCAL web
    pages that run in an application context and can access the file system,
    data bases and more.

    Most of the examples you'll find use VBS for scripting, but Javascript
    can be used as well. I usually use a mix of the two. VBS to access the
    "outside world" and Javascript to update the document.
    Jeremy J Starcher, Jul 1, 2009

  3. On Jul 1, 9:36 pm, Paul E. Schoen wrote:
    > I have been frustrated with the limitations of the WSH for
    > doing much more than automating simple tasks in a manner
    > comparable to a batch file. An HTML document can provide
    > the GUI that I may desire, with such items as text boxes
    > and command buttons, but that requires loading it into a
    > browser.

    <snip>

    Internet Explore is available to WSH as an ActiveX object:-

    var ieInstance = new ActiveXObject("internetexplorer.application");

    - so a WSH script can employ IE as a container for a GUI.

    example:

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jul 2, 2009
  4. In comp.lang.javascript message <aNP2m.260$>,
    Wed, 1 Jul 2009 20:36:22, Paul E. Schoen <> posted:

    >I have been frustrated with the limitations of the WSH for doing much more
    >than automating simple tasks in a manner comparable to a batch file. An
    >HTML document can provide the GUI that I may desire, with such items as
    >text boxes and command buttons, but that requires loading it into a
    >browser.

    WSH JS is on-topic here. But if you want knowledgeable answers, you
    should be asking in the news:microsoft.* hierarchy, probably in
    news:microsoft.public.* or news:microsoft.public.scripting.* .

    Possibly you should use an HTA. My servers carry no obviously-HTA
    group, but someone in news:microsoft.* will know if there is one.

    --
    (c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk BP7, Delphi 3 & 2006.
    <URL:http://www.bancoems.com/CompLangPascalDelphiMisc-MiniFAQ.htm> clpdmFAQ;
    Dr J R Stockton, Jul 2, 2009