Advanced script shell alternative to WSH?

Paul E. Schoen

I have been frustrated with the limitations of the WSH for doing much more
than automating simple tasks in a manner comparable to a batch file. An
HTML document can provide the GUI that I may desire, with such items as
text boxes and command buttons, but that requires loading it into a
browser. In that environment many things like file I/O are very limited. So
I was trying to conceive of an application that could read a script and/or
perhaps HTML including script, and provide a simple window or form for
various labels and controls as would be expected in an ordinary Windows
application. The advantage would be that the resulting application could be
easily modified as desired. This would be intended for use on a local
machine and not as a web page.

My first thought was to imagine how one could write such an application in
something like Borland Delphi, and I could see how the HTML or script could
be read line by line and interpreted and then executed by creating objects
and using their properties and methods to build an application from the
script. I suppose it is possible but it would be a daunting task.

So I did a web search and I found this interesting product:
http://canegor.campus.net.ru/gui_for_script/index.htm

I'm not sure if it would do what I desire, but it looks to be useful. Does
anyone have any experience with or opinions about this, or are there other
scripting environments that would be appropriate? Otherwise, is it possible
to display a plain form from a browser like IE7 without all the menus and
other controls? Maybe open the browser minimized and create a blank window
and then create text and controls in the new window?

Paul

Jeremy J Starcher

I have been frustrated with the limitations of the WSH for doing much
more than automating simple tasks in a manner comparable to a batch
file. An HTML document can provide the GUI that I may desire, with such
items as text boxes and command buttons, but that requires loading it
into a browser.

Look into HTA (HyperText Applications). They are, basically, LOCAL web
pages that run in an application context and can access the file system,
data bases and more.

Most of the examples you'll find use VBS for scripting, but Javascript
can be used as well. I usually use a mix of the two. VBS to access the
"outside world" and Javascript to update the document.

Richard Cornford

I have been frustrated with the limitations of the WSH for
doing much more than automating simple tasks in a manner
comparable to a batch file. An HTML document can provide
the GUI that I may desire, with such items as text boxes
and command buttons, but that requires loading it into a
browser.
<snip>

Internet Explore is available to WSH as an ActiveX object:-

var ieInstance = new ActiveXObject("internetexplorer.application");

- so a WSH script can employ IE as a container for a GUI.

example:
Richard.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]>,
I have been frustrated with the limitations of the WSH for doing much more
than automating simple tasks in a manner comparable to a batch file. An
HTML document can provide the GUI that I may desire, with such items as
text boxes and command buttons, but that requires loading it into a
browser.

WSH JS is on-topic here. But if you want knowledgeable answers, you
should be asking in the hierarchy, probably in
or .

Possibly you should use an HTA. My servers carry no obviously-HTA
group, but someone in will know if there is one.